The Lincoln Restaurant--Excellent Food, Tremendous Value

Jimmyd

The Lincoln has about 12 or 13 specials for 110 baht including a salad. They are all are served every day all the time, apparently.

I just ate there about noon. I had the #14 special on the menu inauspiciously titled "Pork Steak."

What I got was a huge piece of well-cooked meat smothered in carmelized onions with a generous amount of gravy in a separate urn. Next to the meat was a large portion of French Fries, a good dollop of spinach, a grilled pepper and a grilled tomato. Also included was a nice dollop of mayonnaise for the fries. Yeah, it was a big plate.

I'm stuffed and satisfied. Not only was it generous, it was very, very tasty.

The only negative is that water was 25 baht and they seemed to have charged me 5 baht for ice.

Out the door, 140 baht--an excellent, excellent, excellent value for the quantity and quality of food. Did I mention I could taste some wine in the gravy?

This place deserves a lot more customers (there was only one other guy there when I ate). I will be back sooner rather than later.

I've noticed the menu in this place a few times when walking past but have never actually got round to going in as it has always been the wrong time of day. Some of the menu specials seemed less meaty than others, and I prefer having less meat. Prices are similar to 18 Coins and Le Katai before the letter increased them so much recently, not that I have been to either more than a couple of times.

What were the chips like? Decent chips would certainly tempt me in.

They were standard thin fries (might have been frozen) similar to McD's, but they had added some spices to them. Nice enough.

What a sad state when it comes to shoestring chips being regarded as 'standard'.

No they are NOT standard, they an American fast food franchise bastardisation of the real thing !

post-108506-0-66215300-1325150752_thumb.

Edited by cardholder

What a sad state when it comes to shoestring chips being regarded as 'standard'.

Your post is wrong on so many levels it's amusing. They didn't serve chips, they served french fries.

Apologies Jimmy - you did in fact refer to French fries. I think I got excited by Darryl's reference to chips (the real thinglicklips.gif )

I've walked by this place but have figured its so cheap it can't be very good. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can only vouch for the 'pork steak.' But that was a nice plate of food, so from that plate I got the feeling there's someone there who knows what they are doing in the kitchen.

Edited by Jimmyd

I've noticed the menu in this place a few times when walking past but have never actually got round to going in as it has always been the wrong time of day. Some of the menu specials seemed less meaty than others, and I prefer having less meat. Prices are similar to 18 Coins and Le Katai before the letter increased them so much recently, not that I have been to either more than a couple of times.

What were the chips like? Decent chips would certainly tempt me in.

Le Katai--prices up and quality down. Heard a new owner.

Le Katai--prices up and quality down. Heard a new owner.

Indeed. I seem to have the kiss of death for these places. After a year of walking past it, I tried the Sunday lunch in Le Katai and quite enjoyed it. So I thought I would probably go back occasionally.

A week later it changed hands and the price increased substantially. Needless to say I haven't been back.

I've walked by this place but have figured its so cheap it can't be very good.

That is nearly as big an error as assuming that anywhere expensive cant be bad.

I agree but I definitely never make the latter mistake.

On the other hand, this being Thailand quite often the cheap and street Thai food is excellent, but cheap and really good western food, I feel that is kind of rare.

Edited by Jingthing