Us Ipad2 Wifi In Thailand

najatom

Could not find an electronics thread so if this is in the wrong place, please move it...but my wife and I are heading back over in March...her two weeks before me to spend more time with family. She will be taking her Ipad2 with wifi. Of course the US ones have no sim card slot but she easily hooks to the wifi in the house, my android phone or other places with free wifi. But what I want to know is if anyone knows if there is another way to get wifi for the Ipad2 without having to go to Starbucks or some other place with wifi. I want her to be able to email me from her Ipad or talk on Skpe and there is not much in the area of Buriram and when I am there I want access to my email...although I will have my android phone with me. But it's easier on a bigger appliance. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Set up a smartphone as wifi hotspot. Most phones can do that nowadays.

Then you tether the iPad to the phone and have internet.

Internet packages are cheap in Thailand. But if in Buriram, there is a good chance that 3G is not available. Then you are out of luck with Skype. Email and slow browsing is still possible.

Thanks Snapper, but she does not have a smart phone....yet. She will after I get there and see what I want to upgrade her to. But her old phone does not have any internet with it. I was just looking at an alternative way to go.

Of course the US ones have no sim card slot...

On no, you got an iPad that doesn't take a SIM? Must be Verizon. sad.png

I believe the US carriers lock-down the tethering feature on the iphone anyway. I had an iphone for several years when I was in the US and never noticed the option to set it up as a personal hotspot until I got my unlocked phone from apple when they started offering them late last year.

In short I don't think there is much you can do without a smartphone that can share out its 3G connection.

...although I will have my android phone with me.
Edited by attrayant

Nope. Apple doesn't put generic interface ports on their mobile devices. That keeps you going back to them for their proprietary connectors and peripheral devices/services. This is what people often complain about while they refer to Apple products as existing within a walled garden.

Edited by attrayant

Of course the 'Wi-Fi' iPads have no SIM slot, that's what the 'Wi-Fi + 3G' iPads are for. Where you purchased it is irrelevant in regards to whether it has a SIM slot.

Of course the US ones have no sim card slot...

On no, you got an iPad that doesn't take a SIM? Must be Verizon. sad.png

I believe the US carriers lock-down the tethering feature on the iphone anyway. I had an iphone for several years when I was in the US and never noticed the option to set it up as a personal hotspot until I got my unlocked phone from apple when they started offering them late last year.

In short I don't think there is much you can do without a smartphone that can share out its 3G connection.

...although I will have my android phone with me.

No, he got an iPad that is Wi-Fi only. Wi-Fi + 3G iPads are available for Verizon customers.

The OP has an Android phone, so your statement about US carriers locking down the tethering feature is irrelevant, as well as wrong. (AT&T began to allow tethering with the release of iOS 4.3 in March 2010, and Verizon have always allowed it on their version of the iPhone. Both carriers charge extra for the service.)

If he buys one of the hundreds of 3G Wi-Fi routers available, such as the ZTE MF30 3G Wireless WiFi Router (which is supported by TrueMove), there is lots he can do without a smartphone.

Nope. Apple doesn't put generic interface ports on their mobile devices. That keeps you going back to them for their proprietary connectors and peripheral devices/services. This is what people often complain about while they refer to Apple products as existing within a walled garden.

You mean, 'this is what Windows users often complain about'. It's this so-called walled garden that keeps Apple products running so smoothly, safely, and securely...

Yes, it sucks that the US is still stuck in locking all their devices up because they are so afraid of losing their cash cow. But I was looking in Best Buy and there is a Rockfish adapter set that has a USB cable. I am wondering if I buy a USB female/male plug and the wife buys one of the phone USB devices that can be used for internet if that would work for the wi/fi. Maybe I'll ask the Best Buy guy since we bought it there anyway.

Yes, it sucks that the US is still stuck in locking all their devices up because they are so afraid of losing their cash cow. But I was looking in Best Buy and there is a Rockfish adapter set that has a USB cable. I am wondering if I buy a USB female/male plug and the wife buys one of the phone USB devices that can be used for internet if that would work for the wi/fi. Maybe I'll ask the Best Buy guy since we bought it there anyway.

If you're talking about the Rocketfish 3G Mobile Hotspot (RF-MFH2), yes, that's what I mean by a 3G Wi-Fi Router; however, it's not listed as a supported device on TrueMove's website, so I cannot guarantee that it'll work.

Yes, it sucks that the US is still stuck in locking all their devices up because they are so afraid of losing their cash cow.

What are you talking about? You can buy an iPhone from Apple that is unlocked in the US. iPads from Apple are unlocked. A 4Gs 16 GB is $649. See link: http://www.apple.com...obal&geo=us Your wife's is WiFi only, so how can it be locked? If you buy your phone from AT&T or Verizon, then yes, it will be locked as it is a phone that you must subscribe to their service for two years to get their "discount" price. As far as the iPad with 3G goes, it says on Apple's US website: "

iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G

keeps you connected to the internet even when Wi-Fi isn’t available. So your iPad works great when you’re outdoors, on your morning commute, or on a road trip looking for directions. 3G uses the same cellular signals your cellphone uses. It’s available without a contract and service is sold separately. See your 3G carrier for rate plan information."

Edited by Jimi007

You mean, 'this is what Windows users often complain about'. It's this so-called walled garden that keeps Apple products running so smoothly, safely, and securely...

Your transparent attempt to bait me into a bickering match has been summarily ignored. Suffice it to say that I am an apple user by a better than 4:1 margin over windows. That's enough of that.