Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation - Or Any Kind Of Arrhythmia

edh

Hello,

Diagnosed with suspected Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, but still under invstigation. Done the EKG which showed one skipped beat, ECO cardiogram which showed no abnormailities. Doctor gave me 81 mg aspirin to take daily until all tests are completed.

Been reading alot on the internet about it and it looks like a life changer completely, wher you have to stop with all the good things in life.

I'm in my early 40's, slightly (not much) overweight, doesn't excersise that much, drink moderately (work at sea for months at the time where there is a zero tolerance to alcohol) so I do drink when back home but still consider it to be moderate. Use tobacco (wet, non-smoking type) and consider myself being a generally healthy person.

Still have to do the Holter monitor before any conclusion.

Had the flatter for a few days over Xmas and today nothing so far clap2.gif I hope it stays that way!

Feeling kind of depressed knowing something might be wrong with the wiring of the good old pump and in general very worried for the future now.

My question is; how common is this condition?

Anyone here on the forum living with it? If so, how do you cope with it?

Did you get it at a young age?

What lead to it?

Did you have to make huge changes to your life style?

Any answers appreciated.

Cheers,

Edh wai.gif

Paroxysmal AF (or paroxysmal Atrial tachycardia, which may also be a possibility) are hardly life changers.

Any underlying causes that can be identified would need to be treated. No point in going into the various possibilities there until you know. Often no cause can be found in which case it is a matter usually of taking a medication....and definitely stopping smoking (that in itself might do the trick).

Occasionally a procedure called radio ablation is advised, that's a topic unto itself and best left until/if it is recommended.

I think at this point they are still trying to confirm the nature of the arrythmia. Once they have, some other investigations may be recommended to exclude treatable causes.

In terms of life activities, unless an unexpected and serious underlying cause is identified, it is unlikely you would need to change anything other than your smoking and perhaps, if you currently ingest a lot of it, going easier on caffeine. You can certainly continue a normal life in terms of work, leisure etc.

(I'm assuming your cholesterol and triglyceride levels are OK...if not, some dietary changes may also be advised).

Thanks Sheryl,

They didn't comment anything on my blood works on my first visit where I did my intial EKG examination. So I guess the reading were ok (but I think I need to loose some weight anyway wink.png ). Keeping fingers crossed for my Holter examination coming up next week, but what if the flutter I have had for a few days don't show on the monitor sad.png

Paroxysmal AF (or paroxysmal Atrial tachycardia, which may also be a possibility) are hardly life changers.

Any underlying causes that can be identified would need to be treated. No point in going into the various possibilities there until you know. Often no cause can be found in which case it is a matter usually of taking a medication....and definitely stopping smoking (that in itself might do the trick).

Occasionally a procedure called radio ablation is advised, that's a topic unto itself and best left until/if it is recommended.

I think at this point they are still trying to confirm the nature of the arrythmia. Once they have, some other investigations may be recommended to exclude treatable causes.

In terms of life activities, unless an unexpected and serious underlying cause is identified, it is unlikely you would need to change anything other than your smoking and perhaps, if you currently ingest a lot of it, going easier on caffeine. You can certainly continue a normal life in terms of work, leisure etc.

(I'm assuming your cholesterol and triglyceride levels are OK...if not, some dietary changes may also be advised).

If they don't show on the monitor and the episodes recur they will repeat the monitoring, perhaps for a longer period.

If the "flutter" has occurred several times in recent days that you know of, it will almost surely be captured on the monitor as it records continuously for a period of 24 hours or more. Including while you are asleep

• 2 weeks later...

No Holter needed smile.png !

Heart found ok by the doctor. He said this was common by people that used to exercise on a regular basis but then stopped. He suggested me to start again on regular basis and was sure it would go away by doing so.

Great news!! clap2.gif

Hopefully I won't need anything... Will see what the doc say after I have done the Holter.

In a word: propranolol.

• 4 months later...

Is a holter monitor and other cardiac tests (EKG, stress test) available at most hospitals in Thailand?

I have been suffering from an irregular heart beat for a few weeks, but due to working offshore, I'll only be in Thailand for 4-5 days during my next R & R. I'm hoping to get a through cardiac check up completed, but due to family commitments, it may be difficult to organize them in Bangkok.

Is a holter monitor and other cardiac tests (EKG, stress test) available at most hospitals in Thailand?

I have been suffering from an irregular heart beat for a few weeks, but due to working offshore, I'll only be in Thailand for 4-5 days during my next R & R. I'm hoping to get a through cardiac check up completed, but due to family commitments, it may be difficult to organize them in Bangkok.

Yes, available at any large hospital.