Xp Problem

midnightsun

i could not get my xp to start up. so i finally loaded up another on the computer. i now have that works and one that does not.

i am unable to access the files on the old xp. i can see the folder where the files are on the new xp. when i go to click on it i am access denied. how can i get into this folder?

any help

Have you got multi-boot? As in when you start the computer up you have the option of which XP version to load?

yes i can choose. the old version will not boot up. i can all the files on hd with the new version but can not accesss them.

I presume safe mode in various forms has failed to work as has 'start windows normally and also last known working configuration' on you boot up attempts.

If you are after recovering files as opposed to the old XP itself, try recuva it is a free download. It might be able to recover any data you have stored in the other windows.

Easy to use. You can direct recuva to the folder. If it can see any files it will recover them. Only thing is the files come back without their headers. Depending on what files you need to recover such as text, music, photos that are in there you will have to rename them. You will also get a load of junk type files so be patient in your scanning through whatever might be recovered. Old deleted files that also have not been overwritten are liable to show up.

None of the files get deleted during the process but depending on the amount of data on the drive it can take quite some time.

Make a separate folder on the drive or on another drive to save recovered files to.

HTH

I had exactly this problem and it is because the folder that you can see is not now owned by you because you have a new user ID. However, if you can see the folder in My Computer – Local Disk – A’s documents where A is your previous User name you should be able to right click on it and choose Properties. On my version of XP this brings up a window with three tabs: General-Sharing-Security. The Security window has a tab at the bottom marked ‘Advanced’. Clicking on this should allow you to change the owner to your present User ID.

Hope this helps – if not you may have some other way of changing the owner on your system.

Have you got multi-boot? As in when you start the computer up you have the option of which XP version to load?

yes i can choose. the old version will not boot up. i can all the files on hd with the new version but can not accesss them.

I presume safe mode in various forms has failed to work as has 'start windows normally and also last known working configuration' on you boot up attempts.

If you are after recovering files as opposed to the old XP itself, try recuva it is a free download. It might be able to recover any data you have stored in the other windows.

Easy to use. You can direct recuva to the folder. If it can see any files it will recover them. Only thing is the files come back without their headers. Depending on what files you need to recover such as text, music, photos that are in there you will have to rename them. You will also get a load of junk type files so be patient in your scanning through whatever might be recovered. Old deleted files that also have not been overwritten are liable to show up.

None of the files get deleted during the process but depending on the amount of data on the

drive it can take quite some time.

Make a separate folder on the drive or on another drive to save recovered files to.

HTH

tried this. did not get the files on the old xp os.

I had exactly this problem and it is because the folder that you can see is not now owned by you because you have a new user ID. However, if you can see the folder in My Computer – Local Disk – A’s documents where A is your previous User name you should be able to right click on it and choose Properties. On my version of XP this brings up a window with three tabs: General-Sharing-Security. The Security window has a tab at the bottom marked ‘Advanced’. Clicking on this should allow you to change the owner to your present User ID.

Hope this helps – if not you may have some other way of changing the owner on your system.

when i right click. it only shows general, sharing, customizing. there is no security tab

I think that you might have to disable simple file sharing if you have not already done so.

In Windows Explorer , choose <Tools> <Folder Options> then < View>

Then scroll down to the bottom and uncheck “Use simple file sharing”

Then <apply> and <OK>