Can I Do This With Ipad2 And Itunes Store?

ItDontMeanAThing

My requirements for a new electronic device put an Apple product (iPad2 WiFi) at #1 for the first time. I've searched for answers to determine if the iPad2 will do what I want. Now I'd like feedback on the conclusions I reached and answers to the questions I was unable to crack.

Only things I expect to acquire through the iTunes store would be podcasts and apps. All the other content would be uploaded from my computer, a usb stick, a USB external hard drive, downloaded from dropbox or similar, or saved from web page and email links. Syncing some or all of the content would be nice but not necessary.

Assume:

- all files are in a format supported by iPad2

- some imported files do not have DRM because the source was not copyrighted or the right has elapsed.

- some imported files are pirated versions of copyrighted works.

I think the iPad2/iTunes combo would allow me to:

- Import and consume the following types of files: audio, video, ebooks, pictures.

- Connect to a camera (with the adapter), download and view jpgs.

- Import and view documents in pdf and html format.

- Importing, consumption and storage of all media types is independent of an internet connection.

- iCloud is optional.

- Buy anything offered through the Thailand iTunes store but not the stores from other countries.

Expat issues with the iPad are:

- I can use the iTunes store with a credit card that has a USA billing address while living in Thailand.

- Changing the country specific store while traveling is somewhere between difficult and impossible.

- The warranty applies only in country of purchase and only if Apple expected the item to be first sold in that country, which can be verified by inputting the serial number on Apple's site. Gray market products have no warranty.

Unresolved issues:

- Is the serial number on the outside of the retail packaging?

- Creating an Apple ID asked for credit card info, including a phone number. I have a US card with a US billing address but no US phone. Will they accept my Thai cell phone? A US phone that is in a different state than my billing address? A valid phone number that doesn't belong to me?

Thanks.

Your Apple ID determines the iTunes store. If you have a US card use that, and no problems, that's what I do. They don't "track" where you are physically located - it's only about the billing address.

As a phone number, I used my old one which has loooooong expired. If you don't have one associated with your credit card and billing address, then just use the bank's phone number. I wouldn't use your Thai number, that will create more trouble than it's worth. I don't think they'll ever call you... you could also set up a US phone number with Google Voice if you really, really want to.

All the things you want to do you can do. For video, either use VLC or another iPad video player, or convert everything to .mp4 using the free Handbrake program. I find mp4 to work slightly better, uses less battery and doesn't crash. The built in video player only plays mp4 in a certain bit rate and so on - video formats are generally a huge mess. But Handbrake has an "iPad" preset. Use that an you're all set.

All the other documents - sure no problem.

Did some research on the warranty - it looks like Apple reserves the right to restrict repairs to the country the device was purchased in. They may fix things outside those terms but there's no guarantee. The whole thing sounds like they are intentionally locking out grey market products, while keeping the option of fixing a travelers iPad abroad. You have to show import papers, import duties paid, in order to get service.

The serial number is not on the outside but any shop in thailand will let you look inside. Also just buy it from an official reseller or the Apple online store Thailand - same price as the grey import shops.

Edited by nikster

Assuming your first assumption is correct, then you are correct in what you think the iPad2/iTunes combo would allow you to do; however getting to that point - especially if you have a large number of video files - could take a lot of work.

Your subsequent assumptions do not matter, assuming you have been able to realise your first assumption. I have viewed pirated movies, and listened to pirated music on my iPad 2.

I am still purchasing apps from the Australian iTunes store, and have not come across any issues whatsoever. That's not to say that there aren't any, just that not everyone needs access to the Thai app store.

Yes, the serial number is on the outside of the packaging.

I wasn't sure of your last question, so I just went to my iTunes account and changed my mobile number to my Thai one. Initially I input +668 in the area code field, but iTunes told me it requires a 3 digit area code, so I input '668', and the rest of my number in the number field. This was accepted.

The serial number is not on the outside but any shop in thailand will let you look inside. Also just buy it from an official reseller or the Apple online store Thailand - same price as the grey import shops.

The serial number is on the outside of all the Apple packaging that I have ever bought, and I have bought a lot; but this could just be Australian regulations...

The serial number is on the outside of all the Apple packaging that I have ever bought, and I have bought a lot; but this could just be Australian regulations...

I stand corrected.

I am not sure why the OP wants to know though?!

I stand corrected.

Phew, I'm glad you didn't argue, because I couldn't upload the image of my iPad box! unsure.png

I have an idea why he wants to know, but it won't work...

I've got my iPad 1 to play any movie, TV show, music (won't play flac, you have to convert) or read any book (also have to convert) I've downloaded, other than adobe flash content. And JPEGs, no problem! With flexplayer, a free app, you don't have to convert avi files. You do have to convert MKV files to MP4v though. I transfer all files with iTunes. It even work on Thaivisa now that they updated their software! Have you looked at the Samsung device that is pretty much a copy of the iPad but uses Android? As far as serial numbers go, they are internal on the device and get registered when you start to use the device. Some of my devices are used, but wiped clean of the previous owners files or information. Apple knows I am the owner now. My MacBook Pro I bought refurbished from a friend that owns Apple repair shops in the US, has extended Apple Care. I had it fixed once when I was in the US and then had a battery problem here in Thailand and it was taken care of free in both countries. Not sure about the free iPad he gave me though. I think it's out of warranty anyway...

some usefull apps for the OP needs

For video viewing:AVPlayerHD accepts a lot of video formats.No need to convert into MP4.Previously I used yxplayer2 lite (free).I was obliged to convert the videos on the PC .Took a lot of time and typically a 700k Xvid format became 2,4MB in MP4.So I lost a lot of space on Ipad.And quality is a lot better with AVPlayerHD

For book reading(epub,....) I use Stanza

For Comics,books and magazines in PDF, I use GoodReader.Big adventage ,you can create folders to store your files

For Comics in zip or rar I use CloudReaders.If you have JPG comics,convert them to rar files (through winRAR) on your PC.Very quick

Thanks to all for your responses, they've been a big help

I stand corrected.

Because the surest way of determining if a product isn't grey market is by checking the serial number on Apple's site.

Have you looked at the Samsung device that is pretty much a copy of the iPad but uses Android?

Not yet. My initial experiences with Android on my new htc smart phone were as expected. Fiddling is required, some apps I've tried are not ready for prime time and one ate my data. I'm a programmer since the card punch days, run Linux on my laptop now and write bash scripts for fun, so jumping hurdles to make software do what I want is fun. But for my media consumption toy I want something that works as intended.

Have you looked at the Samsung device that is pretty much a copy of the iPad but uses Android?

Not yet. My initial experiences with Android on my new htc smart phone were as expected. Fiddling is required, some apps I've tried are not ready for prime time and one ate my data. I'm a programmer since the card punch days, run Linux on my laptop now and write bash scripts for fun, so jumping hurdles to make software do what I want is fun. But for my media consumption toy I want something that works as intended.

Never had a crash on my iPad and it works for playing any media I've downloaded, once it's converted to the right format. I reboot it once in a while though, so maybe that's why it doesn't hang or crash. Battery life seems good, no complaints... But as I said mine was free... Seems perfect for what you want to do.

it is on the outside in the us also

About phone numbers and the iTunes store.

You need to have a phone number that is associated with your credit card. Whatever number is associated with your credit card is the one that the iTunes store will require. When you first create your Apple ID, the store will do a look-up to validate the card. If you have gotten past this step and created an Apple ID, you should be good to go. I would not change the number on the iTunes store, however, unless you also change the number on file with the bank that issued the credit card. Doing so may cause an attempted purchase through the iTunes store to fail, if the phone number on file with the bank does not jive with the number in your Apple ID.

Any Apple device, whether a MacBook Pro, iPhone, or iPad, will play virtually any file type, though you may need a free program like VLC in some cases.

Finally, you can upload your files, including pirated music, to iCloud, where it will then be available to all of your Apple devices, assuming that you are running the latest versions of the Apple OS. You may have to pay a nominal fee, however, as Apple offers free downloads for music and other files purchased through iTunes. Files sourced "elsewhere," are not free of charge via iCloud. Apple "assumes" that you are uploading music or other files that you already "own," as in CD's or DVD's that you have ripped from your personal collection.

Hope that this helps.

Edited by ma91c1an

You need to have a phone number that is associated with your credit card. Whatever number is associated with your credit card is the one that the iTunes store will require. When you first create your Apple ID, the store will do a look-up to validate the card. If you have gotten past this step and created an Apple ID, you should be good to go. I would not change the number on the iTunes store, however, unless you also change the number on file with the bank that issued the credit card. Doing so may cause an attempted purchase through the iTunes store to fail, if the phone number on file with the bank does not jive with the number in your Apple ID.

Either this isn't the case with the Australian iTunes store, and Australian banks, or you've been seriously misinformed. I change numbers more than I have hot breakfasts, and often neglect to change my details with any of my banks - to date I have never had an iTunes store purchase fail due to my phone number not matching. Not even my last purchase a few days ago failed, even though my Australian bank does not have my Thai phone number...

Any Apple device, whether a MacBook Pro, iPhone, or iPad, will play virtually any file type, though you may need a free program like VLC in some cases.

Finally, you can upload your files, including pirated music, to iCloud, where it will then be available to all of your Apple devices, assuming that you are running the latest versions of the Apple OS. You may have to pay a nominal fee, however, as Apple offers free downloads for music and other files purchased through iTunes. Files sourced "elsewhere," are not free of charge via iCloud. Apple "assumes" that you are uploading music or other files that you already "own," as in CD's or DVD's that you have ripped from your personal collection.

Hope that this helps.

First off I really doubt they check with your bank regarding your phone number. I have two iTunes accounts, one US and one Thai. But I actually do have a house, bank cards and phone numbers in each country.

Second an iPad will not play a flash video and there is no VLC other than VLC Streamer for an iPad. There is Flexplayer which will play avi files. MKV files need to be converted to mp4v files with Handbrake or another software. FLAC files need to be converted to AAC files using Xact...

Third, you do not need iCloud to transfer files to an iPad. Just use iTunes and connect the iPad through the USB port and add the files you want to your iPad. It's free and much faster.