Most Impressive Local Caves - Which ?

realthaideal

I love a good road trip and want to get out to see some impressive caves with fairly easy access. I know we are supposedly surrounded by caves in the numerous local national parks, but there are so many to choose from - mostly with little information on them available in English. I'd just like some help in selecting which ones to go to and which direction to head. I think it's just fine if I have to camp out or stay in a guesthouse in a local village if it's a bit much for a one day excursion: ie the travel + touring the caves. Could be a perfectly good weekend getaway.

So what are some of your favorite local caves ? Where are the nicest Drapery Columns, Stalactites, Stalagmites, colorful mineral deposits, etc. ?

I recommend as would any one else replying to your request these 2 caves

1) For an easy day trip 'Chiang Dao' - plenty of guest houses near the caves for an overnight stay

2) But the most impressive caves 'Tham Lod" can be done on a 2-3 day trip it is near Soppeang (Pang Mapha) off the road from Pai to Mae Hongson (google 'cave lodge' for info and accomodation)

My favorite is the Tham Tub Thao, associated with Wat Tub Thao. Drive north from Chiang Dao towards Fang and Chai Prakarn. Inside a giant grotto is a perhaps twenty meter Buddha 5-600 years old (mortar over brick) in the very interesting style known as Chieng Rung ... after the ancient Lanna polity that once reached as far north as where Keng Tung is in Myanmar now ... where the torso, from the waist up, has a certain "blockiness" to it, and appears to lean forward in a single vertical plane.

I find this cave a "haunting" place that has a powerful "psychic effect" upon me.

~o:37;

though not sure it qualifies as most impressive..cave erawan on route 106 is very big and quite nice. maybe the closest too...about 25km south of lamphun city.

quite far from any guest houses but assuming u dont require an actual campground, there are tons of places to pitch a tent.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by happysanook

I too recommend Chiang Dao Cave. It's an incredible place. I've also been to the Mae On Cave a couple of times and can recommend that one too.

Chiang Dao Cave is great. Just a word; if you have any disability that prevents you bending and squeezing through some of the small places, you won't get the full benefit, but you will still have a great experience. Take a guide, but don't let them 'rush' you through, take your time and take it all in.

Hi

As already suggested Tham Chiang Dao, Tham Muang On and Tham Tab Tao (take your own light).

For more sporting caves try Tham Pha Daeng (near Ban Tham Klaeb on the road to Fang) and Tham Tukatan (in the hills above the H1269 to Samoeng).

All are in Chiang Mai and within a couple of hours drive of the city.

Guidebook to Chiang Mai caves

Maps of Chiang Mai caves

If you are really interested in caving then you really should talk to John up at Cavelodge - takes just over 3 hrs to get there - nice accom, nice food and he has spent the last 30 years exploring caves mostly in MaeHongSon province. He does guided tours - caves containing fascinating formations, 2,000 year old coffins, wet caves dry caves - through caves - blind waterfall climbing fish (as seen on David Attenborough), bats, swifts, turtles, he is the most experienced person I know on this subject. Give him a call on 053 617203

• Like 2

Best tip on Chiang Dao was given to me by one of the guides, as I was going through a very tight opening, she told me if I leaned to the right it was good luck, if I leaned to the left it was bad luck. I asked why? and she pointed at a ledge on the left and told me I would have banged my head. I wonder how many times people have fell for that or is it just me againbiggrin.png

That reminded me. A little over a year ago, one of my best friends that I have known since I was a child came to visit me here. One place I took him during his stay was Chiang Dao Cave. It had been years since I saw him and he had developed a rather large stomach.sad.png He got stuck in one part of the cave and we had to help him out! It was not easy.

Like bats? They are in there.

If you are really interested in caving then you really should talk to John up at Cavelodge - takes just over 3 hrs to get there - nice accom, nice food and he has spent the last 30 years exploring caves mostly in MaeHongSon province. He does guided tours - caves containing fascinating formations, 2,000 year old coffins, wet caves dry caves - through caves - blind waterfall climbing fish (as seen on David Attenborough), bats, swifts, turtles, he is the most experienced person I know on this subject. Give him a call on 053 617203

cavelodge is a nice place... tons of caves in that area...supposedly over 100.... got some bad vibes from john...perhaps i wasn't backpacker enough to warrant his good graces, and i forgot to take off my shoes once...maybe it was more than latter than the former...regardless, i won't hold it against him.

Great thread mak mak! Thaivisa sud joht!. Perfect weather for caves at the moment. Fon mai dog! Hoping to go and check out some of these in the next couple of weeks. I was speaking in thai with some locals about caves the other day. One of them used to be a driver for a local private tour company and was very informative. He mentioned the coffin caves out past Soppong (worth a stop if your in the area) and also the Meaty Gibbon Caves (tum chanee buug) further on towards Mae Hong Son. Can't find much information but will check them out and report back.

If you are traveling with a wife or girlfriend then don't miss the fun of the Mae Saap cave just west of Samoeng. The cave may be small, but the added attractions usually usually provide for some good laughs. Take a good flashlight (torch to you subjects of HRM Elizabeth). Chiroptophobes need not apply.

ive only been to chiang Dao but it was awesome. It's like being in lord of the rings or something. a guide leads you aorund the caves with just a gas lantern.

I found the guide banging the stalactites - 'n mites with some wooden club, quite disturbing, as already much damage can be seen!

But yes, very enchanting experience!