Good Thai Restaurant In Sukhumvit Area

cheynewalk

Can't think of any that low down Suk - probably because most middle class Thais wouldn't be seen dead eating in a Bangkok tourist/falang expat ghetto. Cabbages & Condoms is passable.

You do get middle class Thais* eating at Lemongrass opposite the side entrance of Emporium on soi 24 (? I think that's the right number?). The food and the ambience there is pretty ok IMO.

*They entertain foreign business guests there, so I assume they are what we generally identify as middle class.

Can't think of any that low down Suk - probably because most middle class Thais wouldn't be seen dead eating in a Bangkok tourist/falang expat ghetto. Cabbages & Condoms is passable.

You do get middle class Thais* eating at Lemongrass opposite the side entrance of Emporium on soi 24 (? I think that's the right number?). The food and the ambience there is pretty ok IMO.

*They entertain foreign business guests there, so I assume they are what we generally identify as middle class.

90%thais 10% tourists and expats you wouldnt now it was there[suda] i also worked hard 20years down the pits on the coal face.

suda soi 14 the only problem y would have is two of you trying to eat 1,000bhts.worth of food.until we moved from bkk.went there for 20odd years.

Suda, Soi 14, definitely. Right across from Los Cabos, which for my money (and a pretty good amount of it, too!) is the best Mexican in town.

Suda has good variety, decent quality. Good farang "beginner" Thai restaurant, the taste is authentic Thai but they won't make it Thai-hot unless you tell them you're OK with that. Price is right, even though a lot of farangs eat there. So, yes, you would have trouble getting up to ฿1000 with two unless you both drink a LOT of beer.

I recommend Rosabeing on soi 11. You can choose to sit inside or in a very pleasant garden setting with live jazz - great atmosphere. Good food and not crazy prices. Walkable from Nana BTS station, on the left hand side. I think the jazz starts around eight or nine:

http://bangkokinstyle.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/rosebieng-great-thai-food-in-a-nice-terrace/

There is a good spot inside Ploenchit Center across from the Marriott on Soi 2 on the second floor. I cannot remember the name, but it has seats overlooking the streets. Excellent food, good prices.

Love Scene is on Soi 23, just a few doors down from Soi Cowboy. Open 24 hours. Outstanding food.

Some of the best Thai food that I have ever had was from the bar on top of Food Land on Soi 5. Sit by the pool tables so that the music is not too loud. Very affordable. Just be careful in case you have to run a gauntlet of Africans to get in there. Seriously.

suda soi 14 the only problem y would have is two of you trying to eat 1,000bhts.worth of food.until we moved from bkk.went there for 20odd years.

Suda, Soi 14, definitely. Right across from Los Cabos, which for my money (and a pretty good amount of it, too!) is the best Mexican in town.

Suda has good variety, decent quality. Good farang "beginner" Thai restaurant, the taste is authentic Thai but they won't make it Thai-hot unless you tell them you're OK with that. Price is right, even though a lot of farangs eat there. So, yes, you would have trouble getting up to ฿1000 with two unless you both drink a LOT of beer.

Been to Suda a couple of times and found the service slow and the food average. It seems to impress foreigners (and perhaps some locals too) in that area, as by that area's standards, it seems cheap. In reality, it really isn't.

Agree with you regards Los Cabos though.

• 6 months later...

Lemongrass in Soi 24 is a staple for work dinners and the first choice for the Thais I worked with whether entertaining os colleagues or not. Given the general decline of Thai restaurants in the downtown area I would probably recommend this one.

Suda was unbelievable around 10 years back but has slowly turned to crap with almost no service, especially if the old lady isn't around.

Baan Khanitha is nice but overpriced, more expensive than Singapore. Your 1000b won't go far there!

What about Baan Khanitha?

I really really like their food, it doesn't fit the Sukhumvit 1-15 criteria, as it is in Soi 23 - but hey Taxi's are cheap here :-)

http://www.baan-khanitha.com

In my opinion some of the best Thaifood in the city -them or "Anna's Cafe" But that is in Silom area....

800 Baht for crab in curry powder is a tad high even for my tastes! blink.png

Been to Suda a couple of times and found the service slow and the food average. It seems to impress foreigners (and perhaps some locals too) in that area, as by that area's standards, it seems cheap. In reality, it really isn't.

Agree with you regards Los Cabos though.

Los Cabos was so good they went out of buisness, closed for good.

Suda!? I think Banya on soi 7 about 60mtrs down the soi on the right maybe more what the op is looking for, its a hi so (but not that expensive) very traditional Thai restaurant. i have not been for a year or so worth checking its still there as there is i alot of building work going on in the area. Also, less traditional, but for better food (imo) try the ground floor of Wave Place Ploenchit. Greenhouse at the Landmark or the Thai restaurant in the Sheraton also worth a thought.

Edited by wordchild

There is a good spot inside Ploenchit Center across from the Marriott on Soi 2 on the second floor. I cannot remember the name, but it has seats overlooking the streets. Excellent food, good prices.

Love Scene is on Soi 23, just a few doors down from Soi Cowboy. Open 24 hours. Outstanding food.

Some of the best Thai food that I have ever had was from the bar on top of Food Land on Soi 5. Sit by the pool tables so that the music is not too loud. Very affordable. Just be careful in case you have to run a gauntlet of Africans to get in there. Seriously.

Love Love Scene - cheap and always a good view.

Madam Saranair next to Big Mama's Pizza off Soi 19 has some excellent Thai food.

post-78923-0-62270300-1344062878_thumb.j

Prawns Chuchee Curry....

post-78923-0-71156700-1344062943_thumb.j

Wingbean Salad....

post-78923-0-15232600-1344062976_thumb.j

Great food!! smile.png

Just to add....had the two dishes above plus a spicy pork salad....two soft drinks, rice and a prawn fishcake starter with tip 800 Baht all in. Good value!

More than enough food for two.

I just remembered.. Baan Rie cafe on the corner of soi Ekkamai.. Open 24 hours. Much of it outdoors. Can eat indoors or out. Seems to be popular with local professional Thais.

It's the place that looks like ancient ruins from the outside.

Los Cabos was so good they went out of buisness, closed for good.

Not too surprised. Food was good last time i went but it wasn't very busy and had that feel of a place/business that was winding down.

Food was fine...nice place but I guess the competition too fierce.

A shame imho.