Hid Headlights - Are They Legal?

Daffy D

Popular here with the Tinted Tossers who can see without them. Fitted mainly to 4W.D Hi Ride trucks who blind me every night.. Selfish Bastards, must be used with Fog Lights set to Driving Lamp hight, accompanied by wanky blue illuminated door mirrors ,and Merc Type Diode Strips from Lotus , Bean Can Exhaust, Ghetto Wheels , and a few dozen stickers fromTRD, on a D/Max. The Ultimate Plonker has Angell Eyes.. Should be Banned except in the Wilds.crazy.gif

Popular here with the Tinted Tossers who can see without them. Fitted mainly to 4W.D Hi Ride trucks who blind me every night.. Selfish Bastards, must be used with Fog Lights set to Driving Lamp hight, accompanied by wanky blue illuminated door mirrors ,and Merc Type Diode Strips from Lotus , Bean Can Exhaust, Ghetto Wheels , and a few dozen stickers fromTRD, on a D/Max. The Ultimate Plonker has Angell Eyes.. Should be Banned except in the Wilds.crazy.gif

and factory fitted to Honda Accord H4 reflectors among others

I Thought H4 were ho/lo Bulbs with higher power you also find in Lotus for a few Bht.. I recall Toyota made the Daughters Spivo with lights that bad i couldn't see on dipped. Im sure i paid a lot of money to have HID fitted and re set at Legal Honda considerate dip settings, but perhaps im wrong.. Loads of wire and boxes..Nowt wrong with them, it just that Praying Mantis drivers set them to spot Low Flying Aircraft .coffee1.gif

I Thought H4 were ho/lo Bulbs with higher power you also find in Lotus for a few Bht.. I recall Toyota made the Daughters Spivo with lights that bad i couldn't see on dipped. Im sure i paid a lot of money to have HID fitted and re set at Legal Honda considerate dip settings, but perhaps im wrong.. Loads of wire and boxes..Nowt wrong with them, it just that Praying Mantis drivers set them to spot Low Flying Aircraft .coffee1.gif

TH Honda Accords (and many others in TH) H4 reflectors with HID/Xenon lights are not legal in Europe (E approved.marked) and some other markets. Due to the light brightness constant auto levelling is required to not blind others

Projectors with halogene as used in Spivo was a bad joke with little brighness 15 years ago, and still is. With HID/xenon they can work ok tho, but still not Euro approved due to lack of constant levelling

TH Honda Accords (and many others in TH) H4 reflectors with HID/Xenon lights are not legal in Europe (E approved.marked) and some other markets. Due to the light brightness constant auto levelling is required to not blind others

Internationalized European vehicle regulations require such headlamps to be equipped with lens cleaners and an automatic self-leveling system to keep the beams aimed correctly regardless of vehicle load and altitude, but no such devices are required on motorcycles, or in North America, where ECE regulations are inapplicable and inherently more glaring beam patterns are also permitted. The fitting of HID conversion kits (which include HID lamps that fit into original headlamp units in place of the original bulbs with no change to the headlamp's lens, reflector or housing) generally results in extremely high levels of glare, and is illegal throughout most of the world.

HID Wiki

Internationalized European vehicle regulations require such headlamps to be equipped with lens cleaners and an automatic self-leveling system to keep the beams aimed correctly regardless of vehicle load and altitude, but no such devices are required on motorcycles, or in North America, where ECE regulations are inapplicable and inherently more glaring beam patterns are also permitted. The fitting of HID conversion kits (which include HID lamps that fit into original headlamp units in place of the original bulbs with no change to the headlamp's lens, reflector or housing) generally results in extremely high levels of glare, and is illegal throughout most of the world.

HID Wiki

cool, Wiki is close to correct for once.giggle.gif

While Thailand is on the list recognising and accepting E regulations, TH also accepts DOT and non approved lights, making it heaven for any grey importer. I belive China, presently the worlds largest car market, is still at the same level as TH accepting anything that works

an example is chev colorado/izu dmax with its low amp orange parking lights positioned in the indicators, totally illegal according to E standards

and as mentioned Honda Accord and several others using HID/xenon in ordinary non constant levelling halogen headlights without washers

Those washers get on my nerves, i think something is blinking. OK if they aint Auto, but to me as much use as Rain Sensors.coffee1.gif

HID/xenon lights need to have clean lenses to avoid spread lights blinding others, according to E standard also used in Australia. So if you use your windshield washer while lights are on, they also spray headlights as they are more dirty

Swedish Volvo was the pioneer on headlightwashers, and automatic since 1975 as I recall

Im just a Dumb Bugger then ,i thought dirty headlights were dimmer. Plus the water bottle runs out 2 fast.coffee1.gif

dirty headlights are dimmer, for the driver. but they spread more undesired light blinding others, especially the projector HID ones providing huge amount of lumen from a very small surface

Im just a Dumb Bugger then ,i thought dirty headlights were dimmer. Plus the water bottle runs out 2 fast.coffee1.gif

It's called diffraction. The light is a high intensity spot source and when the light hits particles (dust/dirt) it scatters in all angles/directions.

Those washers get on my nerves, i think something is blinking. OK if they aint Auto, but to me as much use as Rain Sensors.coffee1.gif

HID/xenon lights need to have clean lenses to avoid spread lights blinding others, according to E standard also used in Australia. So if you use your windshield washer while lights are on, they also spray headlights as they are more dirty

Swedish Volvo was the pioneer on headlightwashers, and automatic since 1975 as I recall

Close, you’ve got the country but not the brand. biggrin.png

My dad’s 1972 Saab 99 had automatic headlight washers, funky looking “rakes” with a water spray system.

Think it was introduced the year before.

And what a great innovation that was. laugh.png Many/most owners disconnected them as the wipers would freeze solid in the winter and ruin the motor. VW had a better idea with a high pressure water system without moving parts.

And what a great innovation that was. laugh.png Many/most owners disconnected them as the wipers would freeze solid in the winter and ruin the motor. VW had a better idea with a high pressure water system without moving parts.

everyone went to Hellas and Bosch higpressure wash when they became available

before that saabs and volvos light wipers was the only solution