Srilankan Airways

tomallison

I intend to fly BKK - LHR return, by business class, later this year. Has anyone used this Airline on this or a similar route? Outbound requires an overnight stay at Colombo; do all transit passengers get free use of a hotel? It looks like the best deal price wise. How are on-board conditions, comfort, service, food quality etc? Or is it better to stick with the better known Airlines? Albeit at about twice the cost.

Thanks for any info from anyone with any experience of using this Airline.

I used them almost two years ago and was pleasantly surprised. Good service and food, well, better than what I expected given the price and the airline being an unknown to me then. Not sure if hotel is included in business class but my hunch is probably not. Being in cattle class, I just stayed at the airport which had free wifi and refreshments throughout the night. Would use them again.

I will be using them next week BKK to Paris, return business class.

According to the reviews on the Airline Quality website they are quite good, especially considering the price.

I think they will put you up in hotel for a transit time of more than 8 hours.

I will let you know after I return in mid Feb.

Just flown MLE-CMB with Sri Lankan. While this was only a 75 minute flight both planes were on international routings. Coming back was on a 330 which had flown in from the Gulf and was old and knackered. The first leg was on a 340 heading to LHR after MLE. Pretty new plane and very comfortable.

Overall service not bad, food edible and entertainment system more than adequate.

CMB is a long haul out of town, don't even think about heading downtown (traffic etc means a 1-2 hour transfer minimum) until they finish the extension of the expressway (supposedly mid to late 2012 but don't hold your breath). Negombo is nearest town on grubby beach with so-so hotels. Airport Gateway Hotel is tired but with a modernised restaurant and good food, and only 10-15 mins from CMB.

If you want a fancier option and even better food try the Wallawwa (20 minutes from CMB) for a colonial style boutique hotel.

If flying business see if you can wangle a stopover at MLE for some serious beach time before the atolls vanish beneath the rising waves!

Edited by NxaiPan

I will be using them next week BKK to Paris, return business class.

According to the reviews on the Airline Quality website they are quite good, especially considering the price.

I think they will put you up in hotel for a transit time of more than 8 hours.

I will let you know after I return in mid Feb.

I do not intend to travel until the latter half of the year. So no bookings thus far.

I will certainly appreciate any feed-back that you can give me. Bon voyage.

I used Srilankan Airways about 15 months ago and will be flying with them again in 2 weeks time. I flew economy at a vey low price from Bangkok to London one way which did have me worried at first as i did not know what to expect from them but as others have stated i was surprised how good they actually are.

If your layover is more than 8 hrs then yes they do put you up in a hotel for free, which was nice as i had a good sleep and a shower before the 11 hrs flight to London.

Just to advise you that Sri Lanka has intoduced a $20 visa fee from 1 January 2012.

This electronic Authorization visa has to be purchased online , and replaces the free Visa on arrival system.

It does not apply to transit passengers.

I am not really sure if this will apply to your overnight stay. Best to check it out I think.

Bon Voyage

www.srilankahighcomission.co.uk

My wife and I flew with them BKK - LON - BKK about 3/4 years ago and had an 'all expenses paid' layover at The Tamarind Hotel Colombo for one night, it was fantastic and the Indian buffet evening meal superb as was the breakfast. Excellent service on and off the 'plane.