Thaksin Should Receive Criminal Sentence: Green Group Coordinator

webfact

I love this one regarding the Sale of Shin Corp;

The transaction made the Prime Minister the target of accusations that he was selling an asset of national importance to a foreign entity, and hence selling out his nation. The Democrat party spokesman called Thaksin worse than Saddam for not protecting the Thai economy from foreigners: "Dictator Saddam, though a brutal tyrant, still fought the superpower for the Iraqi motherland."

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had criticized Thaksin earlier for not sufficiently opening up the Thai telecom sector to foreigners. The complete sale of Shin Corporation by the Shinawatra-Damapong families had been a long-standing demand of some public groups,as it would allow Thaksin to undertake his duties as Prime Minister without accusation of conflicts of interest.

Wikipedia

Wasn't it nice of him not to mention that Thaksin got rich from that company having a monopoly on telecommunications in Thailand, overcharging on call rates, handsets and anything else they could use to extort money from the people?

A monopoly which was unwound by a democrat government as part if the imf deal in 1997. I wonder what ever happened to the other business sectors that were meant to be opened up?

Oh yes, he was starting on them when magically the pad started their protests.

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than offering some more partial quotes, here the link to the wiki page a poster quoted from. Let me just copy the first paragraph here followed by the link wai.gif

"The 2006 sale of the Shinawatra family's share of Shin Corporation to Temasek Holdings caused great controversy in Thailand. The sale was in response to long-standing criticisms that the Shinawatra family's holdings created a conflict of interest for Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Criticisms of the sale focused on the allegations by Thaksin and a compliant government that the transaction was exempt from capital gains tax (as per Revenue Department and Stock Exchange of Thailand regulations - later determined by Thai courts not to be legal), the fact that the Thai company was sold to a Singaporean company, and the fact that the Thai law regarding foreign investments in the telecom sector had been amended just prior to the sale (although the amendment had been proposed since 2001). Thaksin's sale also impacted holdings, among other parties, of the Crown Property Bureau that has investment in the Siam Commercial Bank that held ShinCorp stock."

http://en.wikipedia....emasek_Holdings

Interesting that SCB facilitated the sale

A monopoly which was unwound by a democrat government as part if the imf deal in 1997. I wonder what ever happened to the other business sectors that were meant to be opened up?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. It seems that you are saying that we should ignore the billions of dollars of theft from the Thai people because afterwards he was intending to reform other business sectors. Am I understanding your position clearly?

I have heard from Thai Thaksin defenders that he was so rich that he didn't need to be corrupt, which was not only untrue, it ignores HOW he became rich. Farangs on this forum have said that this was just standard Thai business practice at the time. Personally, I have a hard time accepting mega-theft from some sanctimonious a-hole who claims to love the people of Thailand while continuing to rob them blind and pay for their votes with their own money. Actually that is a bit inaccurate, he is paying for votes from people who pay very little tax, and then denigrating those who do pay most of the tax and object to it.

Not defending anything, just giving my view of what happened, and suggesting that there was a little more behind the PADs intervention than some pure altrism to rid the country of thaksin.

I have always maintained that this is principally a new versus old business turf war.

Both sides have lied through their teeth about what is really going on here.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. It seems that you are saying that we should ignore the billions of dollars of theft from the Thai people because afterwards he was intending to reform other business sectors. Am I understanding your position clearly?

I have heard from Thai Thaksin defenders that he was so rich that he didn't need to be corrupt, which was not only untrue, it ignores HOW he became rich. Farangs on this forum have said that this was just standard Thai business practice at the time. Personally, I have a hard time accepting mega-theft from some sanctimonious a-hole who claims to love the people of Thailand while continuing to rob them blind and pay for their votes with their own money. Actually that is a bit inaccurate, he is paying for votes from people who pay very little tax, and then denigrating those who do pay most of the tax and object to it.

Not defending anything, just giving my view of what happened, and suggesting that there was a little more behind the PADs intervention than some pure altrism to rid the country of thaksin.

I have always maintained that this is principally a new versus old business turf war.

So it's not possible that educated people had decided they didn't want lying, thieving scum as their PM?

So it's not possible that educated people had decided they didn't want lying, thieving scum as their PM?

Educated people? Which one was that sitting watching yellow tv 24 hours a day? Some of them loved him when it appeared he might put them back at the top table.

The issues here involve dismantling the old money networks and believe me they aren't going away from their protected businesses without a big fight.

thaksin lost his business protection and he was going to take theirs away.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Educated people? Which one was that sitting watching yellow tv 24 hours a day? Some of them loved him when it appeared he might put them back at the top table.

The issues here involve dismantling the old money networks and believe me they aren't going away from their protected businesses without a big fight.

I firmly believe in Occam's Razor, that the simplest explanation is normally the correct one. At the time I didn't even know about his telco monopoly but was absolutely disgusted at his blatant self-serving money-grubbing ways. I clearly remember reading the BP over breakfast in a restaurant about the shonky loan to Myanmar, and exclaiming a bit too clearly "You have got to be f#@king joking!"

And his best was yet to come. So I have no problem understanding how locals (yes, those educated enough to understand) could rise up in disgust and say "Enough!" If I was a Thai citizen I would have been there with them.

Conspiracy theories are fun, especially for Monday quarterbacks.

• Like 1

I firmly believe in Occam's Razor, that the simplest explanation is normally the correct one. At the time I didn't even know about his telco monopoly but was absolutely disgusted at his blatant self-serving money-grubbing ways. I clearly remember reading the BP over breakfast in a restaurant about the shonky loan to Myanmar, and exclaiming a bit too clearly "You have got to be f#@king joking!"

And his best was yet to come. So I have no problem understanding how locals (yes, those educated enough to understand) could rise up in disgust and say "Enough!" If I was a Thai citizen I would have been there with them.

Call it what you will. The entire country has been manipulated about what has been going on. The truth will out one day.

Why is it that so many industries in this country are protected in the supposed national interest, when in reality, they shaft the Thai people every day?

What exactly is so scary about opening up to the foreign bogeyman? Who stands to lose? The average Thai? Piffle. Thai business is moaning they can't even pay 300 baht a day.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Call it what you will. The entire country has been manipulated about what has been going on. The truth will out one day.

Why is it that so many industries in this country are protected in the supposed national interest, when in reality, they shaft the Thai people every day?

What exactly is so scary about opening up to the foreign bogeyman? Who stands to lose? The average Thai? Piffle. Thai business is moaning they can't even pay 300 baht a day.

Not sorry to break your bubble. The truth will never fully come out. We do know he changed the tax laws so he could pocket millions of Bahts that should have gone to the government.

If you think the truth will come out just look at the recent red shirt Terrorism. All ready Yingluck is calling the red shirt fighters for democracy. Justify that one. Three more years of her telling the truth will be out how the army invaded a hospital and tried to burn Bangkok down.

• Like 1

Not sorry to break your bubble. The truth will never fully come out. We do know he changed the tax laws so he could pocket millions of Bahts that should have gone to the government.

If you think the truth will come out just look at the recent red shirt Terrorism. All ready Yingluck is calling the red shirt fighters for democracy. Justify that one. Three more years of her telling the truth will be out how the army invaded a hospital and tried to burn Bangkok down.

The truth about the red shirts is small in comparison for understanding what Thaksin had in plan for dozens of protected industries here, from all agriculture to banking, then really understanding how furious he was that telecoms got shafted by the 1997 bail out but basically no other industries were effected. But then was he doing this because he actually believed that to open up these markets would be good for the country, or was it pure payback for the way his chosen business got messed with? To know that he actually hates the fact that a bunch of families from Bangkok have been enriching themselves for generations off the labour of farmers up country, and he detests it, seeing them as nothing more than leeches? To know that he detests the banking families in Bangkok because they refused to fund him at the beginning, and that the bailouts given to various banks in 1997 were pretty select, hurting a lot of people he dealt with, whilst saving some better connected family banks than others.

Then to understand who actually funded and backed the PAD, because, that type of thing doesn't come cheap. To know what they actually had to give Newin to switch sides? That one I do know.