Can My Thai Wife Fly Domestic Without Her Thai Id?

SantiSuk

I am climbing the wall trying to get an answer from Air Asia and Nok Air.

I want to book a flight for my wife to fly from Ubon to Bangkok on Saturday to meet me when I arrive there from London. I managed to come away from Thailand with her ID card but she has a Thai passport. Can she use this as identification?

I know that I can buy an Air Asia flight for her, online with a credit card as normal, without travelling with her. I have done this several times before, but she has always flashed her Thai ID card. Air Asia's Thai phone number has been ringing out every time I tried today - no doubt another promotion is on. A recurring annoyance with AA. Grrr no 1.

Nok AIr is even more problematic. Their web-site appears to have no phone number contact, just a list of FAQ's - which as per usual for FAQ's are never the SAQ (steve-asked-question). They have an e-mail comment/question form, but the submit button is broken. Grrr no 2!!

It seems like there may be a problem with Nok Air as the FAQ that does touch on this area implies that the credit card for the booking must always be shown. The alternatives with Nok are to get her to chance her arm in booking at an ATM, but then she will still not know whether a passport is acceptable or go the airport on Friday, which is a 90 minute drive for her (65 for me!). If Nok would give me a better clue about where the 'some 711's' that can arrange a Nok Air booking are located then she could use that route, but there is still the ID question.

Anybody else had this problem (the ID one - not the difficulty of getting info one - I am pretty confident lots of you have had that problem!)

No bleeding wonder Thais use buses!!

Edited by SantiSuk

A passport is okay - have done this with my wife. Other official photo ID will also be accepted. I have travelled with a work ID card on one occasion when I temporarily lost my passport and there was no problem. All with Thai International though (on domestic routes).

Edited by citizen33

Hi, i had the same problem in April 2011 with Nok Air they would not let me book and pay for my gf to come from Sakon Nakhon to Bkk, because i booked online, paid with visa, but the visa had to be shown to them at the Airport, the only way is to send her the money and book her own flight, its not about the ID card its the way the flight is payed for, she will still need her ID card but thats isnt the issue

Cheers

Scoop1

Edited by Scoop1

Hi, i had the same problem in April 2011 with Nok Air they would not let me book and pay for my gf to come from Sakon Nakhon to Bkk, because i booked online, paid with visa, but the visa had to be shown to them at the Airport, the only way is to send her the money and book her own flight, its not about the ID card its the way the flight is payed for, she will still need her ID card but thats isnt the issue

Cheers

Scoop1

I gave my wife a copy of the Visa card and a copy of my passport.No problems with Nok Air

Everything will do. Passport, ID Card, Drivers License. No need to ask just present any ID and it will be fine. I always use my local drivers license.

Same here for domestic, I use my Thai drivers license.

Everything will do. Passport, ID Card, Drivers License. No need to ask just present any ID and it will be fine. I always use my local drivers license.

Yes, I have done the same - just to test - using my Thai driver license as ID on domestic flights (Bangkok Air). My GF use either her ID or Passport.

Cheers

Scoop1

There's a big difference between wives and girlfriends.

Principally, that the wife will share your surname. This will often be a deciding factor in the airline allowing the use of a non-presentable card.

(So long as the website gives the option to pay with a non-traveller's credit card, you don't need to show the credit card... - I'm booked on a flight with Qantas (booked on BA's website), using my wife's credit card - no problems... - and I just have to show my frequent flyer card for BA, not the credit card the flight was booked with...)