Insects - Dangerous Or Not?

jgbc

They're actually responsible for more deaths in Australia than any other spider.

Nothing to do with bites. They like to hide in the sun visor and when a driver pulls it down to block the sun, the spiders drop down into their lap. Being quite large they scare the driver who then crashes.

ha ha ha .....great story Moonraker, never heard of that one before, a bit like the "Drop bears" hey ! anyhow i guess the poms will believe it lololol

Australia has the worst. It think its called a funnel spider? Quite deadly.

Here in southern California we've got black widows (bitten twice in my life) and the brown recluse. Other spiders here carry flesh-eating bacteria.

Does Thailand have any no-kidding poisonous spiders?

They may not be poisonous but one could probably get a good case of blood poison from them. I was in Ram Hospital in Chiang Mai last year and a French girl had a huge foot from a bite of something, very good infection.

She was probably bitten by a centipede.

A bite from one of these centipedes is extremely painful, the pain can last for 4 or 5 days. Severe swelling and bruising often results from being bitten, some people may suffer more adverse effects such as breathing difficulties and a rapid heartbeat. Children are especially at risk and should be taken to hospital if bitten by one of these centipedes, probably a good idea to see a Doctor anyway if you get bitten.

gallery_6606_95_67475.jpg

i was bitten on the ankle by one of these and had to spend 2 nights in hospital, the swelling was so severe, they thought they were going to have to score the skin around my foot and ankle before it tore.

i was walking agin in about 10 days, but it took about 3 weeks before i could wear anything but flip flops on that foot..

while the venom is bad, the risk of secondary infection is worse.

I don't kill snakes, spiders or the big black scorpions. I DO kill centipedes and the little tan scorpions. Fortunately the tookgaes like to eat the centipedes so we see very few here at home.

i once watched a 2 hour battle between centipede and tokay. it was very bloody. the tokay won, but was never seen again after 2 years living in the same spot, i suspect it was his last supper, he must have suffered about 10 bites and was bleeding all over

i currently have a huntsman living in my downstairs bathroom. everyone in the household is under strict instructions to leave him be.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Australia has the worst. It think its called a funnel spider? Quite deadly.

Here in southern California we've got black widows (bitten twice in my life) and the brown recluse. Other spiders here carry flesh-eating bacteria.

Does Thailand have any no-kidding poisonous spiders?

I grew up in SoCal and black widow spiders and the fear thereof have a lot to do with my present phobia...

in Thailand it ain't the spiders so much as the centipedes who's bite can put you in the hospital per other posters' info on this thread...and I've found 2 of the dark smaller ones and one of the big light colored ones downstairs in my shop house and always light up the room before walking down there at night...they like to hide under things; under furniture and the big one was under my computer bag sittin' on the floor ohmy.png

Is it pedantic to clarify that spiders are not insects?

not really smile.png

spiders are a threat to human's emotional well being and must be crushed...if they reside in my bedroom...otherwise the odd huntsman downstairs in the shophouse is OK, they can mix it up with the unwelcome centipedes...