Democrats Wovs To Make Bangkok World-class City

george

BANGKOK ELECTION: Apirak vows to make city world-class

BANGKOK: Apirak Kosayodhin, the Democrat Party candidate for Bangkok governor, will devote his campaign to putting the capital squarely on the world stage.

"I want to see Bangkok as the most hospitable city, the most popular tourist attraction and the world's most favoured investment destination," Apirak said yesterday.

The City of Angels does not just belong to Thailand but is an integral part of the global community, he told a press conference on his plan to quit as chief executive of TA Orange.

Apirak is leaving the cell-phone operator today to join the Democrat Party but his resignation will take effect at the end of the month.

His campaign would kick off in July after a complete plan is worked out with Democrat members, he said.

"I'm confident that I'll be the Bangkok people's new choice due to my long management experience of more than 20 years. If I'm not elected, I'll continue to contribute politically to the country," he said.

Apirak strongly denied that the Democrat Party had recruited him to give it a fresh face against the Thai Rak Thai Party of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"I've joined the party to run for the election, not to rebrand the party's image," he said.

People should pay more attention to his management skills.

"I'm unlucky that I'm a good-looking guy," he joked.

Apirak was CEO of GMM Grammy Plc before moving to TA Orange and currently serves as chairman of the Marketing Association of Thailand.

His exit will leave TA Orange's co-chief executive Supachai Chearavanont as the sole boss. Supachai said he was surprised by Apirak's intention to contest the election, though he was aware of Apirak's prior interest in politics.

In response to criticism that he failed to take the company to the forefront, Apirak said that was up to other people to decide.

TA Orange is 49-per-cent owned by French telecom giant Orange, 44 per cent by local telephone company TelecomAsia Corp Plc (TA) and the rest by TA's parent, Charoen Pokphand Group.

--The Nation 2004-01-14