Caught My Maid Stealing From Me In Bangkok

jackbristol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could not stand a maid in my home, my place of privacy.

I would end up cleaning up so the maid did not think I was dirty and that would defeat the whole purpose of having one.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

I hate the loss of face when you realise you've employed a villain, or put too much temptation their way

Luckily my wife is more careful than I am with checking references and so forth

SC

You folks require a maid? Really...??

How posh.coffee1.gif

Is this meant to be for real or funny or what? Because in my view it is not the slightest bit of either and added to which the dreadful music just adds to the confusion

OP: have you got nothing better to do?!

Bit of background to those who're interested - noticed money going missing so to catch her placed money in the drawer which I had discreetly marked, set this camera up and had two Thais including the building manager verify this. Let the maid do her thing, and then stopped her on the way out of the building. She denied it at first but quickly admitted it when we told her their were multiple cameras in the room, we had the cash amount verified and we would call the police to search her. She had wrapped 5,000 up in rubbish and placed it in the rubbish bags. When I stopped her she tried to run out, telling me she needed to take the rubbish out.

After she admitted it I told her that if she paid the money back on the day then I would not involve the police. We asked her how much she'd taken in total and she said 'about 2 times, 8,000 baht'. We said we knew it was 20,000 from studying past camera footage and she accepted this (this is the minimum amount I believed it to be). After a few hours she arranged a bank transfer and was free to go. She was apologetic and upset but the manner in which she took it shows her to be quite purposeful and calculated.

I won't get into the debate on employing people to do things that I should perhaps be doing. I choose to do it and have more free time when I'm not working. She was paid 300 baht once a week for 1-1.5 hours work (I have a small room) which I feel is a pretty fair and decent amount for her.

If anyone has a similar problem, I used a motion detecting camera which starts automatically when it detects movement and records to the computer. You can also view and record it remotely. The only problem is when they close the laptop!

Bit of background to those who're interested - noticed money going missing so to catch her placed money in the drawer which I had discreetly marked, set this camera up and had two Thais including the building manager verify this. Let the maid do her thing, and then stopped her on the way out of the building. She denied it at first but quickly admitted it when we told her their were multiple cameras in the room, we had the cash amount verified and we would call the police to search her. She had wrapped 5,000 up in rubbish and placed it in the rubbish bags. When I stopped her she tried to run out, telling me she needed to take the rubbish out.

After she admitted it I told her that if she paid the money back on the day then I would not involve the police. We asked her how much she'd taken in total and she said 'about 2 times, 8,000 baht'. We said we knew it was 20,000 from studying past camera footage and she accepted this (this is the minimum amount I believed it to be). After a few hours she arranged a bank transfer and was free to go. She was apologetic and upset but the manner in which she took it shows her to be quite purposeful and calculated.

I won't get into the debate on employing people to do things that I should perhaps be doing. I choose to do it and have more free time when I'm not working. She was paid 300 baht once a week for 1-1.5 hours work (I have a small room) which I feel is a pretty fair and decent amount for her.

If anyone has a similar problem, I used a motion detecting camera which starts automatically when it detects movement and records to the computer. You can also view and record it remotely. The only problem is when they close the laptop!

your camera is built into the laptop is it?

I can understand your reasoning in setting the trap when you realised cash was going missing, it could have proved her guilty or innocent, and I think that allowing her to repay the money without involving the police was a pretty decent thing to do given what she had apparently done, but to then broadcast on You Tube was totally the wrong thing to do. Did you advise her that you were going to publish the video to the general public?

I sympathise with your predicament but In many other countries you would risk being prosecuted for accusing someone of stealing and identifying them publicly like this without a proper conviction through the proper channels. I have no reason to doubt what you say but in the absence of a proper conviction, I only have your word as to what's really going on. For all I know, she could be an ex girlfriend/mother of ex girlfriend who you've fallen out with and you could have fabricated the video to make her look like a thief as some kind of public revenge. You would have obtained the same reactions from the video if you'd have blurred or pixelated her face.

Personally I would never employ a maid. Perhaps I have very low faith in humanity, but I wouldn't trust a complete stranger to be alone surrounded by all my personal and private possessions. And I'd certainly never leave large sums of money lying around.

I am quite disgusted Thai Visa allows this video. Does it mean anyone can post a picture of someone here and say in effect "this is a thief who stole from me"

Because that is what is being allowed here. As another poster mentions the poor woman ain't been convicted of anything and is being publicly ridiculed and humiliated without any chance of a fair trial or rebuttal.

we only have the anonymous rant of the poster giving his accusations as the video in itself is inconclusive.

Some years ago a similar vigilanty activity was done by a major Us TV company called 'To catch a Predator' and at least in that instance the police were part of the sting; but the series was discontinued for legal reasons.

Perhaps some enterprising business should secretly film some westerners in bars aiding and abetting prostitution and we can all see the films of it on this forum and have a laugh about it .

What do you say moderators????

Edited by Zodiac