Needed: Monk/Temple Experienced In Water Fasting For 1 Month

electriceel

Hey guys, :)

I've been told some Buddhist temples/monasteries have monks who have water fasted (no food, only water) for 1 month or longer.

I want to do the same. In March.

But how do I find a temple willing to accept foreigners for 4 weeks at a time, and one that has monks experienced in fasting?

I don't speak Thai... :(

Anyone have any tips on how I can go about finding a local Thai temple like this?...

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a a quiet house somewhere in the Thai countryside - preferably in the south - where Thai locals or someone is willing to rent out their room for cheap?

Will be staying for 1 month throughout March 2012.

I want to enjoy the countryside and get away from busy town/city. You can call this a spiritual thing that I want to embark on.

All I'm looking for is:

- Cheap Room

- Internet connection (if possible)

- Very calm and quiet house

- Peaceful, natural surroundings

- Not in the city (need fresh air)

- Close to local shops

Huuge thanks in advance! :)

It's not clear from your post if you want to become a monk or just want to go on a water-only diet. If it's the former, there are many posts on this forum that outline requirements and detail posters' personal experiences. If it's the latter, you can do it anywhere, anytime. On my own path that started a few years back, I mindfully eat two daily meals without snacks in between. it's little bit difficult when everyone in the U.S. chows down super-sized meals and food is always there, but it's doable.

Although what I'm about to recommend is not in Thailand, it might become an option for you to think about. A Buddhist or spiritual retreat in your town or country? When I spent some quiet time at an Ayurvedic retreat here in Florida, I didn't even ask if internet connection was available (it was). But my purpose was to re-connect with myself, not chatting up with the rest of the world. Otherwise, local places may have exactly what you are looking for, without buying a r/t ticket and trying to overcome the language barrier.

As other posters mentioned in the Buddhism and Thai language forums, Buddhism in Thailand is watered down to the point that superstitions and animism take over almost every aspect of religious rituals and are deep in Thai Buddists' psyche.

Last, choosing to live in the world without instant communication (internet, skype, cell phone, twitter, etc.) may seem like it's against where everyone is heading and doing. But that, IMHO, is a first prerequisite to embark spirituality.

Also, Vedas (also as in Ayurveda) and their connections to Buddhism (and Hinduism) can be a good read to get on a spiritual path.

Polsci, I'm doing it for the latter - to detox my body.

Thank you for your advice. I've actually considered all the points you've raised and I came to the conclusion that I'll be doing it in Thai countryside.

This is why:

- I need warm climate and natural surroundings

- Somewhere as cheap as possible

- I need an internet connection to keep in touch with family (who'll be worried, especially as it's first time)

- Can't do it at home because of negative atmosphere around my house and discouraging people....

So I'm disconnecting as much as I can to keep it pure, but not so much that it gets dangerous if something goes wrong with me physically.

I mention that I don't mind living in a temple because it'll be cheap and I'll be in a great environment, supported - and not mocked - by others :)

If there are any better options that I haven't considered, I'd really love to hear them! jap.gif

And how did your experience go? Did you feel a difference afterwards?

For detox...rather than a simple water diet I would recommend the lemon/lime diet.

lemons in the West or Limes in Asia.

Squeeze limes and the pulp and keep the juice in the fridge.

Take raw sugar (in Thailand comes at local markets in dark brown squares or lumps or lighter colour in a biscuit tin)/in the West molasses is an alternative.

Dissolve in hot water.

mix sugar water and lime juice...add a pinch of salt and dried chilli.

drink instead of food for ten days whenever hungry.

No other solids.

take a hot drink of water...very salty in the early morning to help flush the system.

relax...no hard work...no energy for that.

Lemons/limes have a magical effect upon the digestive system.

can cure stomach ulcers....rotten intestines (instead of surgery and subsequent need to use a stoma bag to shit into.)

For detox...rather than a simple water diet I would recommend the lemon/lime diet.

lemons in the West or Limes in Asia.

Squeeze limes and the pulp and keep the juice in the fridge.

Take raw sugar (in Thailand comes at local markets in dark brown squares or lumps or lighter colour in a biscuit tin)/in the West molasses is an alternative.

Dissolve in hot water.

mix sugar water and lime juice...add a pinch of salt and dried chilli.

drink instead of food for ten days whenever hungry.

No other solids.

take a hot drink of water...very salty in the early morning to help flush the system.

relax...no hard work...no energy for that.

Lemons/limes have a magical effect upon the digestive system.

can cure stomach ulcers....rotten intestines (instead of surgery and subsequent need to use a stoma bag to shit into.)

This fast is the Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs it is important to know that the intestinal Sea Salt water flush is 2 teaspoons for 1 liter of water room temperature. Drink the 1 liter 1st thing in the morning(not easy to do with a shrunken stomach) & He also recommends to drink this 2 hrs before bedtime, I personally just do it in the morning. The Lemon/Lime drink he recommends Maple Syrup 2 Tablespoons & a pinch of dried chilli powder. I squeeze the Lime(Thailand) fresh each time I drink. I am currently on this fast, I can purchase Maple Syrup in Pattaya easily, but is expensive so I use only 1 Tablespoon per drink.

I have been fasting since 1970's I would not recommend to anyone to just fast on water, a fresh vegetable & fruit juice fast is much better for eliminating toxins, if you dont go with the Master Cleanser,regardless the type of fast,Sea Salt Water intestinal flush is imperative to do at least once a day.

My expierince with fasting is around day 10 you will have a transformation from being weak,lathargic & the getting up to fast dizzy spells to having a surplus of energy to walk briskly or run even, if you do this normally in everyday life.

What most people fail to think about is the most important food we can consume is the air we breath & when fasting the body can absorb a lot more oxygen than when we are not.

5 Minutes not breathing brain dead in most cases.

9 Days without water

Solid food can go without for months if you have the plenty of the former to requirements.

Cheers enjoy the fast

Polsci, I'm doing it for the latter - to detox my body.

Thank you for your advice. I've actually considered all the points you've raised and I came to the conclusion that I'll be doing it in Thai countryside.

This is why:

- I need warm climate and natural surroundings

- Somewhere as cheap as possible

- I need an internet connection to keep in touch with family (who'll be worried, especially as it's first time)

- Can't do it at home because of negative atmosphere around my house and discouraging people....

So I'm disconnecting as much as I can to keep it pure, but not so much that it gets dangerous if something goes wrong with me physically.

I mention that I don't mind living in a temple because it'll be cheap and I'll be in a great environment, supported - and not mocked - by others smile.png

If there are any better options that I haven't considered, I'd really love to hear them! jap.gif

And how did your experience go? Did you feel a difference afterwards?

Out of interest E.

What condition do you have which warrants a month month cleanse?

If you can get to Surat Thani it's possible to stay in the dormitory at Wat Suan Mokkh at no charge.

They provide meals twice a day for a modest fee, but as you won't be eating this won't be an issue.

AirAsia fly there daily for around $90 return.

http://booking.airasia.com/Search.aspx

Two critical things regarding fasting:

1. Never fast alone.

2. Fast with constant medical supervision.

Edited by rockyysdt

Out of interest E.

What condition do you have which warrants a month month cleanse?

If you can get to Surat Thani it's possible to stay in the dormitory at Wat Suan Mokkh at no charge.

They provide meals twice a day for a modest fee, but as you won't be eating this won't be an issue.

AirAsia fly there daily for around $90 return.

http://booking.airasia.com/Search.aspx

Two critical things regarding fasting:

1. Never fast alone.

rockyysdt,

Thank you for the tips and advice! A friend I know from Surat Thani also mentioned Suan Mokkh to me :)

Do you think they won't mind having a foreigner stay there for a month who won't eat at all? Lol.

I don't have a particular condition; this is mainly to detox my body from years of unhealthy food and inhaling toxins. The wrinkles and dark circles under my eyes also suggest my organs need a break. I'm a fairly healthy 25-year old guy, but fasting can be done at any age, and I need to reset my body right now. I need a break.

If I had a severe condition, I think it'd be dangerous to do a month-long fast, as the release of a large amount of toxins would make a person quite sick.

rockyysdt, are you an experienced faster?

Your last points are the 2 things I've been thinking about most lately! How the hell do I find someone to supervise my fast without going to a retreat and it costing me the earth?

That's my dilemma right now...

I'd be infinitely indebted to anyone who'd be able to suggest a solution wai.gif

The best I can come up with right now is to find a local Thai (whoever he might be) who lives in the countryside and has experience of fasting. Any thoughts?

fabianfred & NickiBoy03,

Thank you both for the advice and suggestions. I've read quite a bit about fasting and I've settled on the water fast.

I don't want to add any nutrients to the fast, because it allows for a deeper level of cleaning/cleansing and lets the body get on with the work of detoxing and regenerating at the 'core'.

If I add anything to the fast my body won't enter the critical ketosis stage, when the life-extending and healing processes begin.

I've already been cleansing my body through eating as raw vegan a diet as possible.

Now I want to take things to the next stage happy.png

1. Never fast alone.

rockyysdt,

Thank you for the tips and advice! A friend I know from Surat Thani also mentioned Suan Mokkh to me smile.png

Do you think they won't mind having a foreigner stay there for a month who won't eat at all? Lol.

I don't have a particular condition; this is mainly to detox my body from years of unhealthy food and inhaling toxins. The wrinkles and dark circles under my eyes also suggest my organs need a break. I'm a fairly healthy 25-year old guy, but fasting can be done at any age, and I need to reset my body right now. I need a break.

If I had a severe condition, I think it'd be dangerous to do a month-long fast, as the release of a large amount of toxins would make a person quite sick.

rockyysdt, are you an experienced faster?

Your last points are the 2 things I've been thinking about most lately! How the hell do I find someone to supervise my fast without going to a retreat and it costing me the earth?

That's my dilemma right now...

I'd be infinitely indebted to anyone who'd be able to suggest a solution wai.gif

The best I can come up with right now is to find a local Thai (whoever he might be) who lives in the countryside and has experience of fasting. Any thoughts?

I totally agree with the posters who replied to the OP that fasting should be done under close supervision of qualified medical personnel. Very important. And breathe. A weak, sick body won't get you to enlightenment.

I'd also like to suggest Yoga. Not the gym Yoga or athletic Yoga, but the Yoga that transforms body, mind, soul and spirit. Fasting, eating vegetarian diet, learning to relax (particularly in the "dead" pose, not with meds, booze, alcohol and too much sex), cultivating positive attitude, performing cleansing routines of body organs, breathing properly and meditating are all a Yogic path of using the physical body to achieve spiritual liberation and to develop higher consciousness. Buddha was a practicing Yogi. Without the idol worshipping part. You can remain faithful to your own religious belief.

It's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of doing the body purification in your home country or Thailand. If you have your heart set on coming to Thailand, you'll at least make an informed decision and be aware of potential problems. You'll appreciate the saying "hope for the best,but prepare for the worst."

Thailand is well known as a medical tourism hub. If something goes wrong, you won't be too far from a world first-class healthcare facility catering to non-Thais (and loaded Thais). So make sure you have extra money for that purpose. Just in case. Don't have to worry about buying a medical evacuation coverage.

Certainly, don't make the realities scare you too much. Have faith (as in "a positive intention"). And enjoy what you're about to embark on. I know you will.

Edited by Polsci