The Mall, Korat

In a recent article in the Bangkok Post, an executive of The Mall Group announced that the company was going to build some more malls in the Bangkok area. The executive was quoted as saying something like, "After our disappointment in Korat we've decided to concentrate on the Bangkok area."

I can only assume that the disappointment has something to do with sales volume.

This surprises me somewhat because the place always seems at least moderately busy. On the weekends it is so jammed that we don't even attempt to drive and park there. All the retail space is rented out and most of the restaurants seem busy. The food court does a booming business.

Granted, the actual department store is often rather devoid of customers. But, at the prices they charge they shouldn't be surprised.

I wonder just what they were expecting out of a not-so-wealthy community like Korat?

Does anyone know any more?

My experience, too , is that the Mall in Korat is always quite busy and the car park is a nightmare. There's no sign of any slackness in trade. However, I have to compare it with Malls 1 and 2 in Ramkanghaeng Road, BKK. 1 is the cheapy and 2 is expensive. Between them, they cater for a much broader market than the one in Korat. Mall 1 always has some special event with empty floor space taken up by temporary stalls selling bargains - a great crowd puller. It also has a better range of restaurants than the Mall in Korat.

Perhaps the owners' got their business plan wrong in Korat and hoped for a greater spend. Customers don't necessary mean income if the pitch is wrong, Anyway, I like the place and hope that it continues despite half strangling itself on its inadequate car park.

I agree with your Morden. I like The Mall as well. We go there at least once a week for lunch and to just wander around. It's especially nice now with all the Christmas decorations.

And, as you note, the parking is a mess. And, of course, the traffic pattern of getting in and out of The Mall plus all the buses and tuktuk's that stop there to take on and discharge make for huge congestion on the highway there.

One wonders if it wouldn't have been better to build the Mall out of town where there could have been more and better parking and easier access for public transport.

I think your conclusion about the business plan is spot on.

Yes, it's successful in its own way but the owners are probably disappointed when they compare it with the return on capital from their Bangkok stores. I don't think that they can do much about it. The car park restricts growth in trade and the lack of taxis compared with BKK also caps growth. If they did get more customers through the doors, there's not much more that they can do to lighten their pockets.

Nevertheless it's good and I do hope that they don't dump it.