Facebook Friendship Blossoms Into Gay Marriage In Trang

Lite Beer

How sad. Its a nice story with two nice guys who love each other and a lovely family that appreciates and applauds their loving relationship and all some people can come on and do is nitpick, crticise and complain. You people really need to learn to ease up on the negativity once in a while, its extremely tiresome.

Interesting. Nitpicking, is it? Are you legally allowed to marry the person you love?

Are you suggesting we suspend critical thought just to humor the delusions of others who might think calling something that isn't legally a marriage a marriage?

You know, there ARE Thai nationals who are working on this issue. This couple, not so much.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must not be very cognizant of rural Thai culture JT. My inlaws were married for 40 years before they bothered with the little piece of paper. Everyone called them husband and wife, they considered themselves as married and so did everyone else. For most rural Thais registering the marriage legally is not the important part of a marriage.

How sad. Its a nice story with two nice guys who love each other and a lovely family that appreciates and applauds their loving relationship and all some people can come on and do is nitpick, crticise and complain. You people really need to learn to ease up on the negativity once in a while, its extremely tiresome.

Interesting. Nitpicking, is it? Are you legally allowed to marry the person you love?

Are you suggesting we suspend critical thought just to humor the delusions of others who might think calling something that isn't legally a marriage a marriage?

You know, there ARE Thai nationals who are working on this issue. This couple, not so much.

No need to suspend critical thought i would say.

But, the delusions you speak of, are the reality to the couple featured in the article thereby not making it a delusion to them or their family at all.

How they choose to term their marriage, and how they choose to accept or not accept what goes with that is really up to them, no one else. I didn't read anything about them advocating any marriage rights for same sex couples. It might not be an issue for them at all.

I see you edited your post after I responded. No, I suggest you drop the tedious negativity on everything, its tiresome, pointless and really, who are you to tell this couple what makes them happy?

How they choose to term their marriage, and how they choose to accept or not accept what goes with that is really up to them, no one else. I didn't read anything about them advocating any marriage rights for same sex couples. It might not be an issue for them at all.

Of course, I don't profess to know the political position of this family on the issue of equal civil rights for gays in Thailand, under the law. I do know there are Thai gay activists who think it is an important enough issue to work on here. They aren't working on the right to have a marriage party that is legally meaningless, but rather for equal legal rights. Obviously, gay people wouldn't be REQUIRED to enter into legal marriages if they were an option if they didn't wish it. Edited by Jingthing

I see you edited your post after I responded. No, I suggest you drop the tedious negativity on everything, its tiresome, pointless and really, who are you to tell this couple what makes them happy?

Not sure what edit you are speaking of, but I don't recall any malicious intent. I edit my content a lot all the time on most of my posts, because that's my writing method. The editing time is afforded, and I take advantage of it. If you perceived some malicious intent, my sincere apology.

I hear your suggestion. Thank you.

I don't really mean to tell this couple what they should have done, but I am suggesting they have done nothing to further the cause of gay legal equality in Thailand, especially with their playacting as an opposite sex couple.

They by going so public with this have opened themselves up to public comment on the implications of what they have done. I am making my comments. I think, or at least hope, that is OK to do.

To the happy couple: Don't stop entering more Fairie contests. Krabi first, next stop Krung Thep!

Edited by Jingthing

Congrats for both of them! I am happy that they found each other and have understanding families!

Have a long and Happy life, guys thumbsup.gif

*Off-topic remark edited out*

Edited by Scott
off-topic comment edited out

Congrats for both of them! I am happy that they found each other and have understanding families!

Have a long and Happy life, guys thumbsup.gif

The USA is THE most hypocrit country in the world and 95% of the world's problems start in the USA and are being forced on the rest of us angry.png

I agree. Happiness to the couple indeed.

On the U.S.A. comment, I think pretty much ALL countries are similarly hypocritical as that's a basic part of human nature.

It seems to me they are just making a statement, and society will now consider them married.

Friendship Blossoms Into Gay Marriage

30-year-old florist boyfriend

I am sure a red top newspaper could of done something better then this?.

It seems to me they are just making a statement, and society will now consider them married.

I think you're right. They can be and are now socially married. Issues may or may not come up when it would be important for them to be legally married, which of course, they are not, and in Thailand cannot be. On the other hand, there may be legal advantages to NOT being married down the road. That's why it should be a CHOICE for all citizens.

Here is a legal question I don't know the answer to. Another poster mentioned how common common law (non-registered) heterosexual marriages are in Thailand. I believe that but I also am under the impression that heterosexual common law marriages are recognized by Thai law for some purposes in Thai courts. So my question is are homosexual common law "marriages" recognized in the same way? I don't know, but if I had to bet, I would bet NO. How could they be when they are a reflection of a common law relationship that actually doesn't exist in actual law?

Edited by Jingthing

Congratulations to Thongchai Rattanakaew and his boyfriend and partner Chumwit Sudsai, and to the family for having such a wonderful experience.clap2.gif

Indeed - if all families of both grooms was even half as loving as these two seem to have been given, more marriages (including straight ones) would be much better.

Congratulations to Thongchai Rattanakaew and his boyfriend and partner Chumwit Sudsai, and to the family for having such a wonderful experience.clap2.gif

Indeed - if all families of both grooms was even half as loving as these two seem to have been given, more marriages (including straight ones) would be much better.

They call themselves bride and groom, not two grooms, so considering the marriage party was legally meaningless and means only what they want it to mean, wouldn't it be more respectful and "libertarian" to refer to them as they refer to themselves?coffee1.gif

Also, I wonder if marriages really succeed or fail based on approval of the families.

Edited by Jingthing

They call themselves bride and groom, not two grooms, so considering the marriage party was legally meaningless and means only what they want it to mean, wouldn't it be more respectful and "libertarian" to refer to them as they refer to themselves?coffee1.gif

Also, I wonder if marriages really succeed or fail based on approval of the families.

True.... "Chumwit said the pair had been "boyfriend and girlfriend" for three years. Maybe Chumwit is a ladyboy and considers himself/herself as a woman. Is it legal for a guy to marry a ladyboy in Thailand? Marriage is all in the mind anyway, how many have been living in defacto relationships for years and consider themselves man and wife. Marriage is a piece of paper nothing more.

I have also deleted a few posts, replies to deleted posts and edited one.

As time changes, the union, whether legal or not, may make a difference. Some countries recognize traditional and religious, but unregistered marriages, including for immigration purposes. During my time working in UN refugee screening, it was considered a valid marriage. Gay unions have not reached that point yet, but there are countries well on their way to doing so. But I digress...

Congratulations and best wishes to this couple and their families.

Marriage is a piece of paper nothing more.

If that is so, why is there is such massive resistance globally to legal marriage equality for gay people?

The reality is that gay people are treated legally as second class citizens, and often much worse, in most countries in the world today. Ask Hillary Clinton.

Edited by Jingthing

Great but according to the article, they prefer "boyfriend and girlfriend".coffee1.gif

I know many M/M and F/F couples who are married. Where I'm from in the U.S. it is not uncommon or unnatural to call two Men getting married, groom - groom. boyfriends, partners, etc. This includes the same with Women.

True.... "Chumwit said the pair had been "boyfriend and girlfriend" for three years. Maybe Chumwit is a ladyboy and considers himself/herself as a woman. Is it legal for a guy to marry a ladyboy in Thailand? Marriage is all in the mind anyway, how many have been living in defacto relationships for years and consider themselves man and wife. Marriage is a piece of paper nothing more.

Gentleman. Is this issue really of your or other peoples concern what these two people do and to keep arguing on these minor technicalities. NO!

• Like 1

Marriage is a piece of paper nothing more.

If that is so, why is there is such massive resistance globally to legal marriage equality for gay people?

The reality is that gay people are treated legally as second class citizens, and often much worse, in most countries in the world today. Ask Hillary Clinton.

If you are asking me the question then I do not really know the answer. Personally myself I believe everyone regardless of thier sexual orientation has the right to marry who ever they choose. Maybe it is based on percieved morality of some or politicians are afraid of losing office if they legalise it. A recent poll in Australia indicated that 67% of Australians polled where in support of same sex marriage. (yes I know the value of polls before some attack me). Australia's P.M Juliar Gillard was very pro lesbian and believed to be in a relationship when she was the the head of student union in the 1980's since entering Federal Politics she has done a complete "U" Turn. She is in a defacto relationship with her male partner but there are a lot of questions on just how sincere that really is and questions on his sexualality also.

In all states and territories of Australia, cohabiting same-sex couples are recognised as de facto couples, and have the same rights as cohabiting heterosexual couples under state law. Furthermore, same-sex couples have access to domestic partnership registries in New South Wales, Tasmania and Victoria.

In 2011, Labor agreed to a 2012 conscience vote to redefine the meaning of the word marriage to allow for same sex marriage. If the Liberal/National opposition does not allow a conscience vote, the bill would not gain a parliamentary majority. Public support is widespread, with latest polls showing three quarters of Liberal/National voters back a conscience vote. Basically the ball is in the oppositions court and with the vast support in Australia for same sex marriage it would be political suicide if the opposition did not allow a conscience vote which will allow for same sex marriage. So Australia could legally recognise same sex marriages before years end. (New election on the horizon)

P.S I am not gay but would vote in favour of same sex marriages.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Great but according to the article, they prefer "boyfriend and girlfriend".coffee1.gif

I know many M/M and F/F couples who are married. Where I'm from in the U.S. it is not uncommon or unnatural to call two Men getting married, groom - groom. boyfriends, partners, etc. This includes the same with Women.

Of course. But this couple clearly identifies based on the heterosexual opposite sex model. They say they are boyfriend/girlfriend -- groom/bride. Given there is no legal basis to their claim, I say let them at least be called what they themselves call themselves! No problem with calling them married as well, with the understanding that they aren't really married, because that is illegal in Thailand.

(BTW, legal nationally recognized gay marriage doesn't exist in the US. But there is gay marriage is some states with limited rights and yes of course many gay people who make commitments to each other do call themselves married, but they understand they aren't legally married.)

Keeping it real. Is that really so radical?

Edited by Jingthing

???? This is news because _____

Good question. Human interest? Novelty item? Slow news day?

an estimated 20% of married couples now meet online (http://wiki.answers....on_the_internet) and we know there are a lot of homosexuals (no reliable percentage) ... It would seem this article is nothing but bait to start an argument for and against gay rights, either that or as you say an incredibly slow news day and we can expect to see a headline tomorrow saying a motorbike taxi driver was seen not wearing a helmet.

Edited by Nisa

???? This is news because _____

Good question. Human interest? Novelty item? Slow news day?

an estimated 20% of married couples now meet online (http://wiki.answers....on_the_internet) and we know there are a lot of homosexuals (no reliable percentage) ... It would seem this article is nothing but bait to start an argument for and against gay rights, either that or as you say an incredibly slow news day and we can expect to see a headline tomorrow saying a motorbike taxi driver was seen not wearing a helmet.

You would have to take that survey with a grain of salt. Done by eHarmony, a dating agency