Bus (Advise Needed)

SunDaRi

I will need to travel next week to Vientiane and I need some advise with the practicalities.

1. Bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane. According to all the internet sources I found, the first bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane is 8AM.

Is there any bus that leaves Udon Thani from 6AM (or earlier than 8AM?)

2. I read somewhere that Nakhon chai Air operates between Bangkok to Udon Thani - but I can't find the route on their website. Does anyone know if it's indeed running?

3, I have had horrible experience from Bangkok - Nongkhai. Does anyone knows of any good direct bus (or with very little stops)?

Chan tours run from Mochit to Udon one stop (S Class) 550THB very comfortable.

I think if you are considering the bus thro to Loas you will need a visa before hand, otherwise you can get one at the border.

The train leaves earlier but isnt very reliable.

Edited by Tafia

I 2nd the Chan Tour suggestion. "AIR UDON" is another bus company out of Mor Chit with decent buses to Udon and Nong Kai which is very close to the border.

Be aware that at Mor Chit, finding the proper Ticket window for the bus company you want can be very difficult. You need to go to the 3rd level for Isan buses. Most signs are in Thai and the place is swarming with touts posing as guides, even in "Official" information booths who will direct you to bus companies that give them commissions and overcharge you by as much as 200%. They will even show you an "official fare book" with B900 fares to Udon. Both Chan Tour and Air Udon are actually around B500 for 24 seat (2+1) buses. Even the security guards will try to mis-direct you.

I forget the numbers of the CHAN TOUR or AIR UDON windows but maybe somebody reading this can provide them.

Does anybody know the Chan Tour phone number in Bangkok? Do they speak English?

Edited by dddave

If I was you I would fly to Udon with Bangkok Air [ cheapest ] and then catch a mini bus from the airport 180bt or private car 1000bt to the boarder, just remember that their is no same day service at immagration, you hand your passport in before 12 or 1 o'clock [ not sure ] and pick up next day after 1 o'clock. Go get a room in Vientanne for 600bt and enjoy the night.

I prefer to go thru Udon but I am a little unsure of the bus leaving Udon into Vientiane.

The few internet source says first bus at 8am, meaning I may get to vientiane too late to process the visa on the same day.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

As mickeymx said, you will get the visa the next day after 1 pm (if it's not a holiday). You must also have your visa to Laos made before you take the Udon-Vientienne bus. They will not let you onboard unless you have the visa.

you can get a bus from udon city center bus station to vientiene, it's called the vientiene express but you will need a visa for laos in your passport if not apparently they wont sell you a bus ticket, it's a green /white bus.

if not your looking to getting a much slower bus to nong khai and then taxis etc.

have you considered flying and then a transfer to the border ? air asia 2700 baht return if you travel light and don't choose any extras, then a transfer to the border 150 baht.

I don't need a laos visa as i am Asian, it seems like theres no travel for private bus after 4pm due to the protest of price hike for fuel.

I am traveling by road because i have too much time, to be honest but it seems not possible if i travel to udon by night bus and get the udon - vientiane bus to arrive at the thai embassy in laos by 11am.

I don't need a laos visa as i am Asian, it seems like theres no travel for private bus after 4pm due to the protest of price hike for fuel.

I am traveling by road because i have too much time, to be honest but it seems not possible if i travel to udon by night bus and get the udon - vientiane bus to arrive at the thai embassy in laos by 11am.

Well, if you have too much time, why not just stay 1 night extra in Vientiene? smile.png

Edited by Semper

As you are traveling from Bangkok, why not try Cambodia instead of Laos.

Tempting but I'll leave it to next time to travel to Angkor with a friend, for visa runs - I think Vientiane is more preferred as I can speak Issarn Language.

For everyone looking for the website to Chan Tour, I found an online booking system online where you can book in advance. It's surprisingly easy, the buses are available to book on Thai Ticket Major website! I have not really tried the system but at least I know the time table and fees now.

I will not go through the online booking system but I will ask the ticketing booth at Major Cineplex tomorrow.

Edited by SunDaRi

I forget the numbers of the CHAN TOUR or AIR UDON windows but maybe somebody reading this can provide them.

Does anybody know the Chan Tour phone number in Bangkok? Do they speak English?

When you walk up the ramp into Mochit the information desk is in front of you pass the desk and the Udon window is the first on the right immediately behind the info desk. The Bus leaves from Stand 19..after getting ur ticket turn right walk straight thro the food hall to the ramp and stairs, walk down and 19 is almost in front of you.

Edited by Tafia

i think you will have enough time ?

you can print off and fill in an application form and take some photos with you to save some time if your worried.

also you could get a taxi from the border to take you straight to the embassy.

Did you meant I will have enough time if I take the 8AM express buss from Udon to Vientiane, to submit my visa application on the same day? I read somewhere that the embassy close for application at 11AM, another says 12PM. Confusing.

hi,

the vientiane express should get there in plenty of time, even the 08:30 or 09:00 maybe ok.

you can find info. here about the embassy :

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

print off and fill in the application form before you go and take photos , you can find any hotel address in vientiane on the internet to put on the application.

i once got there after 11:30 and they had even switched off the ticket machine but i managed to obtain a form from someone who had a spare and just managed to apply.

should be fine worth a try.

hi,

i can't remember but maybe they want 2 photo copies of your passport also ?

you should make it ok it's only 15-20 mins taxi to the embassy, make sure they take you to the right embassy ! wave your passport and say thailand visa.

i hope you manage to get a ticket for the express bus i have only ever seen locals on it.

if there's any problems you can always get off at the border.

You said you don't need a Visa to Laos as you are asian. I wonder what Visa would you wan't from Laos? unsure.png
I don't need to apply for visa for ASEAN counties (all neighboring countries) as I will get them on arrival but for a foreigner to stay in Bangkok (or Thailand), they will need a Thai visa. I am getting a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy over at Vientiane. Edited by SunDaRi

You said you don't need a Visa to Laos as you are asian. I wonder what Visa would you wan't from Laos? unsure.png
I don't need to apply for visa for ASEAN counties (all neighboring countries) as I will get them on arrival but for a foreigner to stay in Bangkok (or Thailand), they will need a Thai visa. I am getting a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy over at Vientiane.

Excuse my ignorance. As you are a member of ASEAN, why would you have to get a visa from Laos to go back To Thailand?

@Semper,

i do not have to pay for visas to malaysia, singapore, laos, cambodia and thailand. i do not need to apply for them as well, i will get them as soon as i arrive in these countries.

i am a foreigner (to thailand) from a country of the ASEAN and so I get visa on arrivals (30 day at the airport, 15 day by land). by doing a tourist visa run i will get 60 days (extendable by 30 days).

as long you are not a citizen of the country - you will need a visa, and to get a longer stay - you will need to do a visa application at an embassy (Thai in my case) abroad.

I think you got mixed up with the term ASEAN and Asian.

I did say "ASEAN countries" instead of Asian country. ASEAN stands for "Association of Southeast Asian Nations" just because I am Asian - it doesn't mean I can travel to any Asian country without a VISA.

Back to the topic, I will try traveling to Udon and I guess everyone is right - I can just stay one more day if I miss the first Vientiane Express bus. However I'll stay over the Thai side :-)

Edited by SunDaRi

i hope you are just being funny because it's common sense.

i do not have to pay for visas to malaysia, singapore, laos, cambodia and thailand. i do not need to apply for them as well, i will get them as soon as i arrive in these countries.

i am a foreigner (to thailand) from a country of the ASEAN and so I get visa on arrivals (30 day at the airport, 15 day by land). by doing a tourist visa run i will get 60 days (extendable by 30 days).

as long you are not a citizen of the country - you will need a visa, and to get a longer stay - you will need to do a visa application at an embassy (Thai in my case) abroad.

No joke intended. Now I understand, you want to stay more than one month when you return to Thailand. Thanks for clearing this up. smile.png

I bought my ticket at Mor Chit today (but I verified that it's possible to book tickets at Thai Ticket Major).

Chan Tour

Cabs have been trying to tell me to book Chan tour opposite the street but I found Chan tour is at Booth 114** (I hope my memory is right) on the third floor of Mor Chit terminal,

Tel: 02-6187418-20 (Business hour)

Tel: 04-3247333, 04-3332222 (24 hour hotline) *They don't really speak English over the phone.

The last bus leaves Mor Chit at 2230PM, takes 8 hours and should reach Udon Thani at 0600 - 0630AM.

I bought my ticket at Mor Chit today (but I verified that it's possible to book tickets at Thai Ticket Major).

Chan Tour

Cabs have been trying to tell me to book Chan tour opposite the street but I found Chan tour is at Booth 114** (I hope my memory is right) on the third floor of Mor Chit terminal,

Tel: 02-6187418-20 (Business hour)

Tel: 04-3247333, 04-3332222 (24 hour hotline) *They don't really speak English over the phone.

The last bus leaves Mor Chit at 2230PM, takes 8 hours and should reach Udon Thani at 0600 - 0630AM.

Problems solved then. You will have ample of time to get the Udon-Vientiane bus.

why all this enormous trouble? its too late now- but CHAN ALSO has buses to Nongh Khai-sometimes they even let you off at the bridge, or not-use a local tuktuk, and you arrive at NK by 6-7.00-time enough to even get some decent breakfast. Before 8.00 it cost a little more to cross and enter Laos-even for Asean-as its ''overtime'' then, and forget all this cyberspace polluting discussions and worries-go over bridge, and find whatever you fancy in local transprot at lao side. And-if you fall asleep, as Asians like to so much, then there are also buses NKhai-into VTE, from the same busstation as CHAN stops. In Udorn-next worry! there may even not be a same-station connection-and CHAN has its own premises anyway there-a little distant from 1 busstation.

TRAINS are suspended Udorn-NKhai at the mo-since this week, due to extensive new track contruction-you will be put in a bus at Udorn (NO-a special hired off bus, not the normal)- arr in UT will be hours late as usual.