Eight Melbourne Families Alive After Terrifying Phuket Boating Accident

webfact

Why is there nothing in the Phuket Gazzette or the Nation about this? Could it be that it is an all to common occurance that doe's not make the news anymore or are they afraid that it will tarnish Phukets reputation?

This story is all over the media in Australia. Was listening to Melbourne radio this morning via the net as I always do and this subject came up. There were a number of callers who told of thier bad experiences in the tourist areas of Thailand, everything from thefts, intimidation and extortions. Things that many on here are well aware of. This incident certainly has not done the tourist industry in Thailand any favours expecially with Australians who make up a fair percentage of tourists given the close proximity to Australia.

does the Australian news report if they had to pay to replace the boat?

Yes it is very hush, hush in the Thai media. nothing to see here move along. I am sure it will be in the Thai media if the tourists are charged with sabotage but I doubt if that will happen. How could the tourists be held in anyway responsible if they were not operating the vehicle.

I read about it days ago in one of the local Phuket online news sources that can't be mentioned here due to rule #31.

You come to asia and expect the same standards as you have at home for half the price, get a life. Good that no one lost their life but people need to take a bit of responsibility for their own safty. I guess they want be coming back for a loveboat cruise.

I guess people do expect the same safety standards when they come to Thailand for half the price because providing the same standards costs half the price or close to it. How hard or expensive is it to carry a couple of flares on a boat for such an unexpected incident? The cost of a radio compared to the cost of losing your boat is not that expensive either.

I agrre why not expect good standards.You have the Govonor spouting about tourist safety is his main concern and <deleted> (sorry I mean)TAT saying what a miricle the place is.But really would you want this lot let loose with flares.One too many SangSom and they would be shooting each other

• Like 1

We are talking about awareness, do you use a taxi with its front fender missing, and the boot held closed by an elastic strap, and a few obvious dents, or do you use a taxi which is clean and presentable? I have got in a taxi, smelt the overpowering whiskey fumes from the driver and got out.

My life is my responsibility, no one else's, I see no point of being "in the right" in an accident if I am dead.

So you insist on pulling boats out of the water to inspect the hull prior to boarding ?

An inspection of what is visible is often a good indication of the condition of that which is not visible.

It is fairly easy to tell a boat or taxi which has been cared for from one which has been neglected.

Ever heard the expression "paint over the cracks". My experience tells me this is very much the Thai attitude towards maintainance. The Hull could have been rotten, as I suspect it was, but with a lick of paint would look shipshape.

So you prefer to do nothing, just trust to fate. I prefer to take whatever precautions I can, it is better than nothing. But each to their own.

The fact that there were life jackets on board is a major improvement.Two years ago, the chances are that there would not have been. Remember the boats that sank without the life jackets and then the government made an effort to ensure some rudimentary safety? Sure, this thread will be filled with finger wagging, but what mattered was the life jackets and they were there. Baby steps. We read about a dunking and not drownings now.

In respect to playing the blame game, it is common knowledge that health and safety isn't a priority in Thailand. Some responsibility rests with the people taking this excursion to determine if the boat met their safety standards. They could have asked, they could have verified. Considering the size of the boat, it would have been prudent to check out the kids' life jacket situation prior to departure. As for flares and a radio, it all depends upon the nature of the vessel and its intended use. Not blaming the clientele, but one doesn't know the reason for the vessel problem at this point.

You are indeed correct that some of the fault lies with the passengers in this instance, regardless of it being an organized trip or not. If passengers do not feel that correct safety measures have been taken, then they should refuse the trip.

It is also true that steps towards passenger safety are being taken, albet very slowly; as GK mentioned, a few years ago you probably wouldn't find adequate lifejackets onboard. I think you will find that as a passenger boat, there is a requirement for them to carry flares and a radio/distress beacon by maritime law.

It would be interesting to see how many of these island hoppers would meet the standards

You come to asia and expect the same standards as you have at home for half the price, get a life. Good that no one lost their life but people need to take a bit of responsibility for their own safty. I guess they want be coming back for a loveboat cruise.

I was on a trip to Phi Phi recently, there appeared to be no safety equipment and the boat itself was very poorly maintained, it was taking a lot of water on. When you book a trip like this, anywhere in the world, the operator is responsible for your safety and that is a fact. These boats should be inspected frequently, by a reliable, trustworthy body, if there is lone.

Searched the Thai Vessels Act and it appears that there is no requirement to carry safety equipment, not even life jackets. The vessel involved in this case must have been from an upmarket company as they provided a little extra in life jackets which are not required to be provided.

Some responsibility rests with the people taking this excursion to determine if the boat met their safety standards. They could have asked, they could have verified.

You come to asia and expect the same standards as you have at home for half the price, get a life. Good that no one lost their life but people need to take a bit of responsibility for their own safty.

I vehemently disagree. Tourists taking a trip in Thailand should expect simple, fundamental standards of safety, and it's the responsibility of the government and its tourism authority to ensure those standards are met. I don't know the details, and it's hard to say which "Destination Asia" organization is involved - there appear to be several. But people booking a tour in Phuket shouldn't be required to inquire into the seaworthiness of the vessel, or understand what's necessary for basic safety.

I AGREE WITH THIS.

wai.gif

I've lost count of the number of times this has happened. Add it to the other issues facing tourists in Phuket and I have to ask how it's possible for Phuket to rank as a 'must-go-to' destination.

When - if ever - will the authorities stop playing pat-a-cake and get off their collective a***s to resolve these problems once and for all?

Why blame the tour company/rep?

Those Aussies would soon moan if the tour rep advised them to stay in their room all day...

Why should the boat carry a VHF radio as very few boats have so how will it help?

Did the boat crew have a mobile phone?

The fact a dive boat was there before they had to abandon the speed boat, bet if the had radio no boat would have got there quicker.

(18 adults + 7 children) 25 people on the speed boat? Sounds like it was over loaded to me.

The same thought occurred to me at too. Looking at the photo it was more of a fast motor launch than a speed boat and looks new. Strange how it sank so quickly in calm water which suggests something certainly wasn't as it should be. Good that everyone got off safely but Thailand really has to watch these bad news stories. No amount of promotion will cover up the increasing number of flaws in the tourism business.

Edited by bigbamboo

I was on a trip to Phi Phi recently, there appeared to be no safety equipment and the boat itself was very poorly maintained, it was taking a lot of water on. When you book a trip like this, anywhere in the world, the operator is responsible for your safety and that is a fact. These boats should be inspected frequently, by a reliable, trustworthy body, if there is lone.

Searched the Thai Vessels Act and it appears that there is no requirement to carry safety equipment, not even life jackets. The vessel involved in this case must have been from an upmarket company as they provided a little extra in life jackets which are not required to be provided.

Now I'm sure there are plenty of us on here who have travelled the world and have done things on dodgy boats, bikes, whatever and later we might have thought was a bit dumb! But being good swimmers or 'experts' or just Jack the Lad we did them anyway. The difference here is that we have families involved and their safety should be paramount. This part of Thailand is not a third world destination price wise any more and standards should be as high as anywhere else.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Why blame the tour company/rep?

Those Aussies would soon moan if the tour rep advised them to stay in their room all day...

Why should the boat carry a VHF radio as very few boats have so how will it help?

Did the boat crew have a mobile phone?

The fact a dive boat was there before they had to abandon the speed boat, bet if the had radio no boat would have got there quicker.

I've never seen a radio on a boat here. I have the local number for Thai Navy rescue on my cell phone though.

how does a boat sink?? holed, capsized, fire, whales, cyclone,... if an engine stalls would that sink a boat? no report of the size of the boat for 25 persons and crew! i understand the kid's panic....and glad all were safely rescued. wonder if we'll ever know the cause of this accident!

The tourists had plenty of life jackets. They had plenty of time to put life jackets on children. They spent very little time in the water.

What are they complaining about?

Would a flare have made any difference? How many boats would have simply ignored the flare?

agree. sucks that it happened but in the end no one died....can't get a better percentage of lives saved than that. could it of been prevented is another matter. chances are it probably could have but again....NO ONE DIED!

The tourists had plenty of life jackets. They had plenty of time to put life jackets on children. They spent very little time in the water.

Would a flare have made any difference? How many boats would have simply ignored the flare?

yes .. flares would have made all the difference if this happened in the evening when the sun was down.

Secondly , the operator should have the vessel equiped with a radio in case of any emergency !! would you be saying the same if someone had drowned ??

I have two vessels of my own ....

I know all the maritime safety regulations and requirements in thailand & worldwide.

It's the governments responsibilty to enforce proper safety guidlines as implemented worldwide. These operators must have to renew licenses from time to time .. so that's when things should be implemented ... sadly however .. $$ corruption is hard to stamp out even when lives are at stake .

IMO.

Edited by steven100

What I find amazing, is that these types of incidents, the boat sinking the poor chap getting electrocuted on the fridge and the really sad electrocution of the kid on Bangla last year, don't make a dent in the tourist trade. Thailand remains a top destination for Australians. It's not just in Thailand. Reading the news, I see that Canadian tourists are getting gunned downed and brutally robbed in Mexico in ever increasing numbers and yet it is still the top destination for Canadians. Human nature to think it won't happen to them, and cost trumping safety, I suppose. If any good comes out of this, I do hope people check the boat they will be using. In respect to the Bangla tragedy, I just don't go on that street when it has rained and I am more aware of the dangling wire situation. Not much, but at least their ordeal may keep me safe.

We are talking about awareness, do you use a taxi with its front fender missing, and the boot held closed by an elastic strap, and a few obvious dents, or do you use a taxi which is clean and presentable? I have got in a taxi, smelt the overpowering whiskey fumes from the driver and got out.

My life is my responsibility, no one else's, I see no point of being "in the right" in an accident if I am dead.

So you insist on pulling boats out of the water to inspect the hull prior to boarding ?

An inspection of what is visible is often a good indication of the condition of that which is not visible.

It is fairly easy to tell a boat or taxi which has been cared for from one which has been neglected.

Ever heard the expression "paint over the cracks". My experience tells me this is very much the Thai attitude towards maintainance. The Hull could have been rotten, as I suspect it was, but with a lick of paint would look shipshape.

The so called speedboats in Thailand have hulls made of plywood. Whether they are marine plywood or not, I dont know but plywood of any kind, does not take kindly to being submerged in water for long. And the stress those hulls are exposed to with one or two 100-200hp outboard engines is very high. And sooner or later the plywood will start to give, which sounds to be what happened here.

yes .. flares would have made all the difference if this happened in the evening when the sun was down.

Secondly , the operator should have the vessel equiped with a radio in case of any emergency !! would you be saying the same if someone had drowned ??

I have two vessels of my own ....

I know all the maritime safety regulations and requirements in thailand & worldwide.

It's the governments responsibilty to enforce proper safety guidlines as implemented worldwide. These operators must have to renew licenses from time to time .. so that's when things should be implemented ... sadly however .. $$ corruption is hard to stamp out even when lives are at stake .

IMO.

It is the government¨s responsibility? How about responsibility from the owners of the vessels? Yeah, I know, silly me. TIT

Every boat is must have an inspection from the Marine Department before operating. This Marine Department does an inspection on board, before the owner of the boat get their boat ownership papers. Every year you must come back for inspection. Every boat must have life jackets for all passangers and staff and must have a way to communicate with main land. This could be a radio or a cell phone. The inspection of Marine Department also check the status of the boat, hull, engines etc. Depending on the amount of seats on the boat you get a liscence to transport a maximum of passangers and staff after getting the papers including the insurance payments for this maximum amount of people.

On every boat must be visible for all the maximum amount of people, passagers and staff and also visible the registration number. 25 customers on speedboat of this size is normal in Thailand.

How many speedboats are running from Phuket, Ao Nang, Krabi and Koh Lanta to Koh Phi Phi on daily basis? Accidents happen luckely not daily. The Andaman sea between this tourist destination is specially in high season full with boats, snorkeling, diving, fishing etc. Good news is that the boat captains respond directly to an emergency and pick up the customers. For all those writers of negative views on boats, rules and regulations in Thailand I suggest read the news in your home country and you will find at least one similar accident in their.

I feel sorry for the 25 people on board who had to experience this accident and hope that they continued their holiday and had a good time before and after this day.