Two Tier System

You need to make the difference between companies that have a two tier pricing structure and government funded places that charge more to foreigners than to locals.

If a shop asks more money from a foreigner, then that is plain dumb, and you can just walk away from it and find another shop that doesn't do this.

But if you want to visit a national park or zoo,and they charge then it is not so easy to go to a different park or zoo. But one needs to understand that these parks, zoos and such are not self sufficient entities that rely solely on admission income. The Dept of National Parks has approximately 6,000 officials, another 6,000 full time staff and some 20,000 temporary day workers in its employ. The department consumes an annual state budget of a stable Bt8.2billion. That is taxpayer money. So Thai people already pay for visiting parks, regardless if they visit or not. At the same time, if a foreigner is employed in Thailand and pays his taxes, then he also helps pay for the parks. As such I completely understand why one would charge a foreigner more, providing the tax paying foreigner is exempted. And that is exactly my experience in nearly all national parks that I visited. When I show my drivinglicense and sometimes tax id card, I get charged the lower Thai price.

This is my experience as well although sometimes the Thai price is only given very half heartedly.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not about the money its about being treat different cause of colour of skin, that's what i have said right from the off, its's principles, Thais with more money then us well still pay the same as the rest of the thai's, and we no matter what we do are how long you have been here makes no difference. and again tonight someone try to charge me well over the price for street food in maenam and just walked away and popped to the market only 2 seconds away and got it from there. not being funny here but i was bought up not to be racist in anyway but even in the uk this would not be acceptable over charging a different race.

Ok this is Thailand and you have to put up with it but its not right end of. blacks have been fight this for year and now i know how it feels a bit to be different.

Edited by doingok

its not about the money its about being treat different cause of colour of skin, that's what i have said right from the off, its's principles, Thais with more money then us well still pay the same as the rest of the thai's, and we no matter what we do are how long you have been here makes no difference. and again tonight someone try to charge me well over the price for street food in maenam and just walked away and popped to the market only 2 seconds away and got it from there. not being funny here but i was bought up not to be racist in anyway but even in the uk this would not be acceptable over charging a different race.

Ok this is Thailand and you have to put up with it but its not right end of. blacks have been fight this for year and now i know how it feels a bit to be different.

well as you said a few weeks ago after a visit to Phuket, Samui does seem worse. i know many that have left and noticed the difference and a more farang friendly pricing stucture. Give it ago some where else next time, i am sure you will see the difference in price and attitude.

well as you said a few weeks ago after a visit to Phuket, Samui does seem worse. i know many that have left and noticed the difference and a more farang friendly pricing stucture. Give it ago some where else next time, i am sure you will see the difference in price and attitude.

i think if we come back that's would be are plan, do not get me wrong i have made some nice thai friends here and like samui but we have been to more places than phuket, like khanom,tha sala,koh tao, and so on and heading to cambodia in a week or so,so staying in bangkok to have a look around and then going to chumphon before we head back for a couple of day,if we had just stay on samui we would of just thought this was the norm but with travelling around we know its not.the people in tha sala was so helpful and friendly and nothing seemed to be to much trouble,we got lost and a guy jumped in this car to follow him to put us on the right track and he didn't even stop so we could give them was cash he just turned around and waved lol.

like i say i like it here just seems to but harder than is should be here

Not sure what you mean about the meds 200 and now 70 bit, but the 2 tiered pricing system is common throughout Thailand. It is just an in-bred way of doing business, just like bargaining. Not everyone does it thankfully. And those that don't, do it covertly with discounts, or promotions in Thai only, or like at Big C and the 'lucky dip counter' as I call it.

For me, it the price quoted is OK, even if it is not exactly fair, I just accept it.smile.png

i know it pisses me of also. now i charge more for Thais than i do for forangs. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

We are all humans. some thai, well allot of thais are more wealth than forangs yet we all have arms legs and what ever. why do they have forang and Thai prices.

Specially for long term residents.

The only time i see and understanding for over charging is when people book things from over seas.

If forangs are living and working hear then we have to pay more for living expenses just to have a work visa and permit on top of tht we get charged more just because we are forang.

i had an argument with the people in the steam room massage spar.

for thais it is 100 baht for fornags it is 300 baht. so i asked them why i have to pay more

they said because i am not thai

i said why is different btw me and a thai

they said nothing

i said they have a nose.

i have a nose

they have ears i have ears.

mouth arms legs brain,

the lot.

all they could say is that i am a forang. so basically i am a second class citerzern who to some people is just a wlaking ATM machine

50 bt is a days' wages or a days disposable income for many Thais.

Oh, come on. . . Fifty baht is 1.3 liters of petrol...what? Thais ride their push-bikes to the national park?

I take your point about frequent usage, but many places do not apply, such as the zoo.

I am not sure but i think that you are assuming that all thais are poor. that is not true If they are poor then that is not our fault.

people that come hear and work pay a hell of allot of tax now we have to declair 50 k baht of income. then pay tax on that.

We are forced to employ thai peoeple to work for us or employ a forang at 50 k per month.

My poiunt is that i agree to an extent that yes we should come hear to benefit the thais but

our liegal working life is already hard to savive plus a thai can make 1000 baht last a alot longer than a forang. pLus most fornags have to support a whole thai family also list goes on then we need to pay more than everyone else for activities and food

Limbos:

As such I completely understand why one would charge a foreigner more, providing the tax paying foreigner is exempted.

I follow your reasoning, but why put the burden on the visiting tourist? As I said before, you'd think that Thailand would want to showcase its national treasures as a point of pride, not have visitors make up the financial shortfall...I think it sends the wrong message: Look at our pretty nature and culture, but look how money-grubbing we are....

Limbos:

As such I completely understand why one would charge a foreigner more, providing the tax paying foreigner is exempted.

I follow your reasoning, but why put the burden on the visiting tourist? As I said before, you'd think that Thailand would want to showcase its national treasures as a point of pride, not have visitors make up the financial shortfall...I think it sends the wrong message: Look at our pretty nature and culture, but look how money-grubbing we are....

i agree with you there i know someone that is from Burma and he gets the thai price is that cause he looks thai or cause i am white? (with a tan lol) he went to the pharmacy and got my tablets and saved me a bit money.though now i can get them my self at thai prices but you are spot on in what you have said if no one came here in the first then they would have no income what so ever i would guess, so they charge us more on top of this and its the tourist who bring the money to the island in the first place, and to some point i understand in every country the tourists get hit but if you live there then you are not one but try and fit in but here you well never be able to cause they well always see you as a ATM some not all of them but them that do not allow you to feel you fit in and you will always be different to them if you know what i mean.surely they most know they are losing money as well we just walk away and go else where now madness really losing a sale though sure greed.

BigC i would do the same myself but 2 wrongs do not make a right? though i do understand why you do it.

you can complain as long as you want, it will help only to release some interior pressure, but it will not change anything at all in the outside world.

If you can't manage ether to get a local price for basic Thai food or go away without any bad feelings, there will be more troubles....

Best thing to do: always relax and try the Thai way of yai yen or get used to it and remind yourself where you are, planet Earth, where Thais can't get a 30 days Visa on arrival in London or Berlin contrary to you in Bangkok.....

• Like 2

you can complain as long as you want, it will help only to release some interior pressure, but it will not change anything at all in the outside world.

If you can't manage ether to get a local price for basic Thai food or go away without any bad feelings, there will be more troubles....

Best thing to do: always relax and try the Thai way of yai yen or get used to it and remind yourself where you are, planet Earth, where Thais can't get a 30 days Visa on arrival in London or Berlin contrary to you in Bangkok.....

providing they get the visa, there's nothing that will stop to buy property, legally, if they wish to. Try that here.

providing they get the visa, there's nothing that will stop to buy property, legally, if they wish to. Try that here.

It would be good I believe if USA adopted some of Thailands strict land ownership regulations. Here, even if you're an illegal

alien you can buy any property you want. The USA doesn't enforce its immigration laws and thats not right. So, perhaps all of Thailands rules concerning foreigners are over the top but consider what would happen if we were all allowed to purchase land and build in our name. After awhile there wouldn't be much left for the Thais.

Not to say I wouldn't like to have my name on the land title - I would and it frusrates me as well. Have a wonderful day......

My pharmacist insists on lowering the price tag on all my purchases by 25%

He says the listed price is for tourist, "you live here, so you get Thai price". wai.gif

Same thing with my dentist, I had some work done and a tourist entered and was quoted 3 times the price I paid for same procedure. wai.gif

Edited by PoorSucker

It would be good I believe if USA adopted some of Thailands strict land ownership regulations. Here, even if you're an illegal

alien you can buy any property you want. The USA doesn't enforce its immigration laws and thats not right. So, perhaps all of Thailands rules concerning foreigners are over the top but consider what would happen if we were all allowed to purchase land and build in our name. After awhile there wouldn't be much left for the Thais.

Not to say I wouldn't like to have my name on the land title - I would and it frusrates me as well. Have a wonderful day......

That is a bit over the top.we still own land it is just a head ache. Rich people can still own allot of land so the laws are stupid. I would recommend that in forang areas such as koh Sami and pattaya Phuket,etc. they take restrictions off the foreigners but make it completely illegal to by and own farm land to protect the Thais from foreigners buying everything.

Obviously it would not be fair to take land away from forang farmers. So if they bought before the law was to come in then they should be able to keep it. Or it could effect business investment if people were to lose land that they originally bought legally.

My pharmacist insists on lowering the price tag on all my purchases by 25%

He says the listed price is for tourist, "you live here, so you get Thai price". wai.gif

Same thing with my dentist, I had some work done and a tourist entered and was quoted 3 times the price I paid for same procedure. wai.gif

Same here. Once people realise you live here the price goes to local rate for the most part. When it doesn't just start to haggle in Thai and that normally does the trick. When my sister was here a good few years back she saw a photo album, asked how much as was told 1,800. She was on her way back from the beach so had very little money on her and therefore didn't buy it. She told me during the afternoon so I went down there with her in the evening and got it for 300. No doubt my sister could have haggled herself but I doubt she would have got it for anywhere near 300.

Many people also do realise that haggling is a way of life here though I admit some do, they just cannot do it for some reason. I enjoy a good haggle in any country, so much so that I am happy to go with anyone and haggle on their behalf. I consider it an art.

i trying haggling when its high and they just do not move from what they what i.e hot balloon the lady what 200baht? i offered her 80 has i just pay that for one in lamai but then my wife wanted one so pulled over a shop in chaweng once i said 80baht she just snatched it right out of my hand and walked away only paid 100baht for two big ones new years eve lol i guess you are right as the market where i go now is great with me in the fish market now.and the massage and gym next to the beach our the only two place that i get thai prices but its a start

p.s bandana in lamai wouldn't move again from 100 baht nathon 40 baht without haggling but i do shop up there a lot

Edited by doingok

i trying haggling when its high and they just do not move from what they what i.e hot balloon the lady what 200baht? i offered her 80 has i just pay that for one in lamai but then my wife wanted one so pulled over a shop in chaweng once i said 80baht she just snatched it right out of my hand and walked away only paid 100baht for two big ones new years eve lol i guess you are right as the market where i go now is great with me in the fish market now.and the massage and gym next to the beach our the only two place that i get thai prices but its a start

p.s bandana in lamai wouldn't move again from 100 baht nathon 40 baht without haggling but i do shop up there a lot

these type of haggling systems are just creating bigger demand for more capitalised corperations such as tescos and Central, Big C and even pubs tropical murphys , starbucks to take over as they have set prices.

There is actually a 4 teir price system. Some charge more from Indians and even more for Isralies.

Basically they are in the head ache bracket for business owners so they up the prices to pay for their head ache meds.

Hawaii has "kamaiana rates"...for local Hawaii residents for hotels, golf, interisland flights etc for as long as I can remember. I used to feel almost guilty playing golf with some tourist who was paying $125 while I was paying $35.

It's not just Thailand. But it does seem that most places the discount is given to all local residents who have a local driver's license.

And all over America senior citizens(and kids) tend to get special discounts based on age. And of course there are tons of "ladies nights" in bars where girls get in free, or free drinks, while guys pay.

Age discrimination, gender discrimination, residence discrimination. All alive and well all over the world.

Hawaii has "kamaiana rates"...for local Hawaii residents for hotels, golf, interisland flights etc for as long as I can remember. I used to feel almost guilty playing golf with some tourist who was paying $125 while I was paying $35.

It's not just Thailand. But it does seem that most places the discount is given to all local residents who have a local driver's license.

And all over America senior citizens(and kids) tend to get special discounts based on age. And of course there are tons of "ladies nights" in bars where girls get in free, or free drinks, while guys pay.

Age discrimination, gender discrimination, residence discrimination. All alive and well all over the world.

i have lived in in America and Spain and places like Disney,wet and wild, and universal, all get discounts to local residents which i used to get to just had to show my rent card.and its the same with spain ferry's,flights and so on all discounted.i have spoken to a lot of people and you are right about capitalised corporations BigC no one what's the hassle of haggling cause you know they are ripping you off so what is the point of doing it any more, i want to give my money to the local and like i said before the fish market is the only place i go now. they lose more money then they can make i am sure just though greed.they made a demand for tesco,s,BigC and so on,i have to say i love the fish market which i try a use every day makes you feel your in thailand then you have to go to tesco's lol enough said

Edited by doingok

As an aside I noted when in Samui a few weeks ago that KFC in Lotus was more expensive than on the mainland... ??? The 299 Baht Buckets were 349 Baht?

this is also the same for McD's and Burger King, more expensive on samui then the MAin Land

As an aside I noted when in Samui a few weeks ago that KFC in Lotus was more expensive than on the mainland... ??? The 299 Baht Buckets were 349 Baht?

this is also the same for McD's and Burger King, more expensive on samui then the MAin Land

for the record the petrol is cheaper on the main land found it hard to put in 90baht to fill up yet here 110-120baht? and tesco is cheaper to was in tha sala food court nothing was over 35 baht, people keep telling me well they have to ship it over and we are an island but the cost is very very small to do this

Cost of fuel just under 2 baht per litre difference. One passenger & car 470 baht per trip on the ferry.

Now do you know the cost of bringing just a 10 wheeler over here? Let alone the cost of a semi trailer.

for the record the petrol is cheaper on the main land found it hard to put in 90baht to fill up yet here 110-120baht? and tesco is cheaper to was in tha sala food court nothing was over 35 baht, people keep telling me well they have to ship it over and we are an island but the cost is very very small to do this

agreed, prices are way cheaper in places like Had Yai, Danok, Sadao, all are another 4 hours travelling on the road from BKK, that i would say would cover the cost of the ferry prices, but Samui is way more expensive. Makro, Tesco etc are minamaly more expensive than the mainland. i was talking to a Samui bar owner a few nights ago and he said prices for San Mig were now 100+baht, i see on here Calsberg is 90 baht. Mainland prices san mig 50-60 baht, Calsberg 60 baht. cant be 80-100% more for the shipping costs.

anyway those who are happy with paying those prices will, those who do not will leave or do as Doingok and never return.

agreed, prices are way cheaper in places like Had Yai, Danok, Sadao, all are another 4 hours travelling on the road from BKK, that i would say would cover the cost of the ferry prices, but Samui is way more expensive. Makro, Tesco etc are minamaly more expensive than the mainland. i was talking to a Samui bar owner a few nights ago and he said prices for San Mig were now 100+baht, i see on here Calsberg is 90 baht. Mainland prices san mig 50-60 baht, Calsberg 60 baht. cant be 80-100% more for the shipping costs.

anyway those who are happy with paying those prices will, those who do not will leave or do as Doingok and never return.

The 80-100% more is for rent to the landowners.

San-Mig is a lady drinks so the ladies get commission when you buy for them.

You can get a cheap charlie San-Mig at 7/11.

Edited by PoorSucker
  • Like 1

we were planning a staff party a couple of years back and all of the thai staff selected the marine park. during the planning stages it was determined that we'd have to pay 200thb for each farang employee "because farang have to pay".

so i "charged" 200thb for an equivalent number of thai staff "for transportation to the park" without charging any of our foreign employees because they had to pay 200thb to get in.

probably didn't accomplish anything except let them argue in the other room over who was going to pay for their transportation to the park so that i could actually get some work done.

MMMMmmmmmm never said i wouldn't return BUT i would look elsewhere before making a choice to stay here if that's what we wanted, i am not interested in the girlie bars as i have a wife and happy so we do not hit those sort of bars,we have a great little bar close to us, the dh sports bar with a great pool table and cheap drinks that does us fine and when the sun is shining we hit the beach after the gym and do what ever is needed so being in a very tourist area is not a must as long as we have a beach and bar with a pool table then we are happy.As i have said we have met some great people and made some good/nice friends here to but going to the main land as opened my eyes alot though we can still live ok here we can live even better on the mainland cheaper housing, food, petrol, closer to cheaper airports to fly out of, its is a shame because we do like it here but we cannot see why you need to pay a lot more then we have to for the privilege of staying here.we also have chatted to a lot of tourist saying they only come here for a couple of day or so cause its expensive here.though i have not had one here 400 bhat (£8) for a pizza is mad when we were phuket we have a pizza for 175baht (£3.50)

and power cuts though that really isn't an issue as its only been off no more than 30min up to now lol

MMMMmmmmmm never said i wouldn't return BUT i would look elsewhere before making a choice to stay here if that's what we wanted, i am not interested in the girlie bars as i have a wife and happy so we do not hit those sort of bars,we have a great little bar close to us, the dh sports bar with a great pool table and cheap drinks that does us fine and when the sun is shining we hit the beach after the gym and do what ever is needed so being in a very tourist area is not a must as long as we have a beach and bar with a pool table then we are happy.As i have said we have met some great people and made some good/nice friends here to but going to the main land as opened my eyes alot though we can still live ok here we can live even better on the mainland cheaper housing, food, petrol, closer to cheaper airports to fly out of, its is a shame because we do like it here but we cannot see why you need to pay a lot more then we have to for the privilege of staying here.we also have chatted to a lot of tourist saying they only come here for a couple of day or so cause its expensive here.though i have not had one here 400 bhat (£8) for a pizza is mad when we were phuket we have a pizza for 175baht (£3.50)

and power cuts though that really isn't an issue as its only been off no more than 30min up to now lol

What does that have to do with double pricing? We have had many a discussion on here about the cost of living in Samui.