Importing Used Cars To Thailand

Hi,

I'm exploring the possibility of importing used vehicles to Thailand from Europe. I am aware of the high rates of duty (up to 300%), that is not my concern.

There are strict rules and regulations regarding the import of used vehicles into the Kingdom, mainly to protect the local industry. From what I can gather, used vehicles are classed as "restricted goods" and it would be necessary to form a company, and then obtain an "Import Permit" from the Ministry of Commerce. What is the probability of this permit being granted ? Obviously I don't want the expense of the company formation, only to be declined permission to operate the business.

The Thai customs website is somewhat sketchy on this :-

"Foreign-made vehicles permanently imported into Thailand, whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally subject to taxes and duties. However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand, except for temporary imports as mentioned above or imports under the conditions specified by the Ministry of Commerce.

Before the importer can gain clearance of the used/secondhand vehicles through Customs, the importer will need to obtain an "Import Permit" from the Ministry of Commerce. There are a number of schemes under which an Import Permit may be granted. Each scheme has its own specific requirements. It is important that the importer should find out whether he can meet those requirements before committing to any action."

"An individual who imports vehicles for personal use, or a commercial importer, may be considered an importer and liable for payment of taxes and duties."

What requirements would I be required to meet ? I plan to bring in no more than 6 vehicles per annum, they would not be in competition to the local market, and I would expect to pay at least 1 million baht duty on each vehicle. Does anyone have any idea if this business would be approved, or the angle in which I should approach the start up ? I am married to a Thai (if that makes a difference to anything).

Input from Indo-Siam or Sunbeltasia most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

INTJ

Hi,

JUst to clarify, I am looking at importing cars AND paying the duty. I'm not trying to circumnavigate the regulations in any way, just trying to establish exactly what the regulations are.

Regards,

INTJ.

I have personally visted the Excise warehouse at Klong Tuey and seen the confiscated cars that have been impounded for non payment of taxes. There are a lot of expensive vehicles there.

The excise department sells them off. The prices start bidding at the import tax figure.

Worth a look if you are into this and you would not need to start a business as far as I know.

A word of warning though, do NOT try to ship any of them back home.

I can recognize a wrong 'un from 50m and they are nearly all wrong 'uns.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm exploring the possibility of importing used vehicles to Thailand from Europe. I am aware of the high rates of duty (up to 300%), that is not my concern.

There are strict rules and regulations regarding the import of used vehicles into the Kingdom, mainly to protect the local industry. From what I can gather, used vehicles are classed as "restricted goods" and it would be necessary to form a company, and then obtain an "Import Permit" from the Ministry of Commerce. What is the probability of this permit being granted ? Obviously I don't want the expense of the company formation, only to be declined permission to operate the business.

The Thai customs website is somewhat sketchy on this :-

"Foreign-made vehicles permanently imported into Thailand, whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally subject to taxes and duties. However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand, except for temporary imports as mentioned above or imports under the conditions specified by the Ministry of Commerce.

Before the importer can gain clearance of the used/secondhand vehicles through Customs, the importer will need to obtain an "Import Permit" from the Ministry of Commerce. There are a number of schemes under which an Import Permit may be granted. Each scheme has its own specific requirements. It is important that the importer should find out whether he can meet those requirements before committing to any action."

"An individual who imports vehicles for personal use, or a commercial importer, may be considered an importer and liable for payment of taxes and duties."

What requirements would I be required to meet ? I plan to bring in no more than 6 vehicles per annum, they would not be in competition to the local market, and I would expect to pay at least 1 million baht duty on each vehicle. Does anyone have any idea if this business would be approved, or the angle in which I should approach the start up ? I am married to a Thai (if that makes a difference to anything).

Input from Indo-Siam or Sunbeltasia most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

INTJ

I've thought about importing a kit car into Thailand for a laugh... But then I remember that I don't have a garage in which to work on the car like I did back in my home country, and actually importing the thing would be a pain in the ass.

A former colleague of mine imported a half-dozen racing cars into Thailand. I know that he had a ###### of a time doing it, but he got it done- so it's not impossible.

If you're serious about doing this then I'd suggest consulting a law firm to see how it can be done and how much it'd cost.

Let me know if you get something set up- I wouldn't mind importing an interesting car or so to use for a while. :o

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

since such thread already exists - I prefer to ask my Q here. are there anymore details about the subject been discussed here?

another I related Q: who can advice a source of info for similar matter regarding neighbouring Cambodia? like - import taxes and whatever else important rules etc. well, obvious would be Cambodian embassy I guess - but perhaps there are some members with personal experience, or who knows some companies who does import of used cars into Cmabodia?