Entry Level Euro Car New/2Nd Hand - Some Advice Please From Experts...

Seems like the Ford Wildtrak 3.2 I booked is getting further and further away and no heated seats is a deal breaker (well close).

So now I am considering a European car instead.

My thought process is:

- want to be on the road mid May (I need to use for a long road trip end of May)

- should be not obsolete upon buying (so this means in some cases 2nd hand, in other cases new as the model has some life left)

- decent resale but relative to purchase price (cheaper upfront I can handle a bit more depreciation)

- access to servicing in BKK

- financing 75% so 2nd hand means paying VAT on 75%

- max budget new 2.2m; max budget 2nd hand 1.3-1.5m

- would like a car that is enjoyable to drive and gets up to 100km in something under 9 sec and preferably under 8

Options

1. Benz C200 NEW

- best deal offered at 1 dealer is about 2.1m even (anyone recommend a good dealer?) but doesn't have a service contract attached unlike Volvo/BMW (read below); can deliver on time

- never owned one before

- performance is pretty decent for the base model as it's the same engine in all 3 C200s, and I like turbos/superchargers

- mid way through its life so will get 4 years maybe on this facelift before it's an obsolete old one

- 2nd hand Benz just drops so slowly it's a good car to buy new

2. BMW 320/323/325 2nd hand

- all only worthwhile 2nd hand as the E90 style is about to be replaced this year even though new cars not available until next year; new coming soon model ones out of my price limit and timing wrong; current E90 new ones do get a 5 year/100km free everything service and they offered me ex staff cars at a discount but the model is about to be replaced so she did try to sell me a 5 series !!

- owned a 316 before; you don't want to be underpowered in a Beemer 320i is probably still ok and there are tons 2nd hand to choose from

- any comment on grey market infiltration; seems BMW core models on the car websites are mostly legit ones

- for about 1.2-3m can get a decent model 2005-2006 car (current E90 shape); can't foresee the depreciation being a killer in future

- would appreciate a comment; the 1 series is appealing, but very concerned that parts servicing etc will be an issue; also how much more Mini like is it going to be to drive (I think not much) as it's a 2 litre in a slightly smaller shape; both 1 series are legit BMW Thailand and 2005/7 models for around 1.3m; depreciation for the original owners is a killer (these were on the market for 3m+ back new); have briefly scanned 5 series which also are just a tad more; much more car for the money, true, but am guessing these are the exec spec ones that aren't so interesting to me and it's pushing a lot for a 2nd hand car

3. Lexus is 250 2nd hand

- current shape for another 2 years

- new not viable; 2nd hand lack of stock and so a 70,000km out of warranty one is still 1.7m; VAT on that financing is a deal breaker; a few cheaper than this but not sure they are legit ones; Lexus is a prime candidate for ex Japan 2nd hand imported in some dodgy fashion and sold to some doufas here

4. Mini Cooper S 2nd hand

- 1st generation 2002-2006 are around 1-1.3m so price is fine

- must have a turbo and either manual stick/tiptronic type is fine, but I think the techonic shift ones came out in Gen 2 which is probably outside my budget

- seems hugely difficult to easily find out which ones are legit and which are grey market; there is for instance a grey market for under 1m with supposedly 50,000km....fine until it goes kapput; then I am not sure where you could get what is probably a relatively complex piece of machinery serviced

- this one is interesting for me given my previous list of Nissan GTiR, Daihatsu GTTi, subaru turbo, etc; just depends on pricing; if around 1.1-1.2m I cannot see how it will depreciate too badly in future - am I idiotic though for considering and any one wish to comment? Might not be the ideal vehicle for carting around a family or friends of 5 people....but being out of waranty period it means you can start fiddling around with it a bit without problems, play with boost, chips etc that you wouldn't do on a new car...then again it still is $30k USD 2nd hand for a glorified gocart which is almost $100k USD new; at least for the beemer etc you are paying for metal, not 'negative space'...then again need to test drive to see

- how is servicing and parts - any one can comment?

5. Volvo S60 NEW

- odd last option; can deliver on time

- cheap (relatively) at 1.799m and I have a bit of a connection to them so could probably get the body kit maybe some nice rims etc - in std spec for 1.8m it's a decent deal anyhow

- huge saving on fuel with E85 PLUS 5 years servicing free (everything except accidents covered by insurance) or up to 100,000km...put together that's probably a saving of 40,000b a year for 3-4 years (when I hit 100,000)

- could be a bit 'droppy' on the depreciation; no idea if geely involvement will send the company bankrupt or more likely it will just continue plodding along churning out good cars with no one noticing

- have test driven; quite like fwds anyhow; this one has decent grunt; probably can start playing with the motor once if goes out of warranty

- easily the best in terms of interior except for the vents which are downright odd; seats, the trunk, etc - I am amazed to say this but it is simply better than the Benz or a new 3 series in the showroom; obviously not on par with 5 series etc; it's basically just the badge on it that is in any way a put off

With Ford playing around without any sort of a plan, I may yet still go through with the Wildtrak but in some cases above, spending 1m and a little change on a 2nd hand car would mean I could have both (hence considering a mini).

Comments on the above and other options to consider would be appreciated.

Edited by steveromagnino

A Mini Cooper??? Groan ...

Rationally the Volvo is probably best. But buying a car is not completely rational, as we all know. And I've just bought a caar, 2nd hand Volvo. So there ya go.

Years ago I drove the 1st gen Benz C180, in beautiful red, with modest alloys. It was a very good car, if quite bare in luxury things; everything was an 'optional'. But so extremely boring, that the only thing that could cheer me up now and then was looking at the star on the bonnet, and thinking: 'hey, I'm driving a Mercedes!'.

I hope they have improved.

@ Presto

The Volvo is definitely a great car; nice design, lovely to drive, decent performance, brand new model, good promotion - only negative is the depreciation; this model obviously not available 2nd hand otherwise I would have bought it already. Am checking for ex dealer/ex demo cars but suspect as it's brand new there's not much chance of that.

Benz C200 Kompressor is a bit more grunty than the C180; drives pretty well, in the test drive wasn't able to escape the dealer's clutches to test drifting capabilities; I know what you mean on the entry level point having had the Beemer 316 which is the C180 equivalent.

Mini is not a bad little car; if there were a bunch of hot hatches out here it wouldn't be on the short list; without Ken Block's Fiesta to choose from, we are stuck for now with the Cooper S.

Have you looked at any VW/Audi?

Audi are a great car at a higher budget level but seems to be a bit in the volvo camp; lack of volume means not a wonderful reputation and not a strong market presence etc etc - friend has an R8 but new Audi is (their own words to me) suffering badly at the hands of grey market; probably their dealer network not so strong either. Don't like the current A4 so much (did consider seriously a while back) which I think is well into its cycle, A3 no longer here except as a grey market - so Audi loses to Volvo and is knocked off the list.

VW I have considered the Scirocco and Golf (ahead of the mini) already but 2nd hand volume is very small; servicing may be an issue; pricing is also higher than a Mini; major issue also with grey market - virtually all of them are grey market imports it seems 2nd hand and prices are well above 1.5m mostly (making the Lexus a better deal); the mark 6 is available in droves from greymarket, the mark 5 not so much (which is the price point for a locally distributed one, I did actually consider one in 2001).

Try looking for Audi or VW on the internet; you will get international websites and almost nothing locally except parallel importers. Even Volvo is stronger than these 2 brands here except for specific models (Q5, A6, A8) these 2 brands really have faded in the last 10 years.

The current W204 C-Class is due for replacement in late 2014, so less than 3 years to go.

Like a few other posters, I'm a fan of the S60 T4 - in the lower end it's almost a no-brainer, but If looking at the top-spec 2.15M version it would be a tough choice between it the the base model C200 BlueEffeciency...

The Benz will cost you more to own, but will definitely return a better resale value - I haven't done the numbers, but would expect the Benz would come out with a slightly better TCO than the top S60 T4.. And more prestige in TH, if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat..

I'm also a fan of the Mini, but it does have a bit a a "rich man's teenage kid's car" vibe to it in TH. I have to say that I'd probably feel a bit too old for it..

There are other options in the price range too..

Audi A1 S-Line (gray mkt)

Peugeot 207 CC

Fiat 500 (Abarth if willing to buy 1-2yo)

Golf 1.4 TSI (or Golf 2.0 GTi in gray mkt)

MRO as always welcome your and KBB's advice (initially resulting in the wildtrak) and so to push you further...this whole grey market thing.

I've been offered for instance a Mini Cooper S 50,000km 2004 grey market import from Japan 1 owner for around 1m baht. That's, at least for me, an interesting deal if the car was what it says it is on paper (which I believe to be rarely the case in grey market cars). But being out of warranty some questions on getting it serviced; is the odometer wound back as is common in other places where Japan imports wind up - supposedly paperwork all in order but....how to know for sure?! Easier to pay marginally more for a legit one, but that means ringing up 50 leads or so...will see how it goes but probably need to test drive one soon anyhow.

The thing about the mini and BMW are there are so many of them, there will always be a mechanic to fiddle with one. A VW golf on the other hand; I rarely see them since graduation (popular slightly with the international private uni set I went to school with).

I can live with being a bit older in a Mini....not so sure I can live with the problems if they occur or am I over thinking things with a 7 year old car - out of warranty not sure you would take a BMW to Barcelona/Millenium to get it serviced; I didn't with my 316.

I can imagine the Benz in 2014 being traded in for another one... deal is about 2.1 even, so that's only 200k more than a Volvo. It drove reasonably well (I thought) way better than the 190 non kompressor I recall from my younger days but not quite up there with my uncle's worked one. Was very surprised as always believed Benz to be more expensive than BMW, definitely not the case at the moment here. As you say, TCO may not be so far apart as the Merc depreciates less; however Volvo isn't bad on the fuel or the servicing offer.....

It's all a bit of a tough choice and a completely different direction from the wildtrak, but the dealer simply can't give me any info. If i think about it too long, then it will be 2nd hand only, as I will run out of time to decide.

Motorshow is probably too late....hmmmmmm....I can't see the benefit of the 2.1m Volvo; salesman said himself that the 1.899 one is way more popular because the benefits are pretty slight for that extra 200.....i wish I was more decisive, but hard to pin down a direction when I have (theoretically) the budget to buy any of these but not necessarily the desire! LOL

Edited by steveromagnino

After reading , i am surprised nobody mentioned Hyundai's new Sonata 1,550-1,8mln top spec looks like CLS merc, and behaves alike.. Or as i found during the last motorshow Subaru imreza 1,2mln baht.. Those are new cars with HUGE depreciation potential, but so is Volvo

After reading , i am surprised nobody mentioned Hyundai's new Sonata 1,550-1,8mln top spec looks like CLS merc, and behaves alike.. Or as i found during the last motorshow Subaru imreza 1,2mln baht.. Those are new cars with HUGE depreciation potential, but so is Volvo

The OP was pretty clear on the fact that he's looking for a European car ;)

Ok, have refined. Volvo now off the list; will consider to purchase an S60 ex demo or 2nd hand in about 3 years when the warranty is close to expiring and price has dropped and when after market parts are more readily available to acheive completely inappropriate look for an executive car. New, only the Benz works from a depreciation perspective; sad as I do like the Volvo but it's going to drop 800k in 3-4 years without the enjoyment of looking like a tool. Have looked at the Puegeot obviously would want the hot hatch variant but not offered here; I have pretty much given up on the grey market exotics.

Mini

Grey market mini not necessary although many friends claim I should consider it as they are around 10-20% cheaper and out of warranty you don't service at Millenium anyhow.

I have located plenty of ex Millenium Auto 2003-05 Cooper S models around 1.1-1.25m baht with lowish kms (<60,000); annoyingly my boss's mom just sold hers for under 1m in the exact spec I wanted (manual, first generation, low kms) in a trade in on a Fiat Abarth 500 (not a bad car for a 60 year old woman with a lead foot). Manuals are cheaper as all those mia nois cannot drive a stick I guess. Mini classics from 40 years ago sell for 500,000b in good condition; in some way this is despite being an outrageous price for a tiny car, probably not going to be an expensive adventure to purchase and sell in a few years; also many opportunities to fiddle with it well documented here and abroad and since it's not under warranty why not; solid community of owners including track days and so on. Only issue - SWMBO is completely anti it (wants me to get a BMW 5 Series or Benz E class or Lexus GS300). Mini is cheap enough to buy for fun and consider to get a 2nd car (but I have had small cars before, I think I'd be happy driving it all the time) - need to test drive it and yes, I have driven a stick in BKK for a while before no issue

BMW

Decidely not exciting, but a 'safe' choice at slightly higher price point than the Mini for either a mid range 3 or entry 5 in the E90 shape or E6x shape. Skeptical to go for the 325 or 330 given that cars seem to now be going in the opposite direction of smaller sizes and turbos (like the S60, C200 etc); given up on the 1 series due to same reason as grey market cars (very few cars = issues selling, issues getting servicing, etc)

Benz

Only choice for new; appreciate your comment BkkJam; I suspect the dealers are tight on the C class because the margin must be small when you compare to BMW plus it's a fairly new facelift model which means it doens't need to discount - deal is MUCH worse than BMW or Volvo (100,000km without paying a single maintenance bill); I thought it drove well enough; safe new choice and even though it will be lasting <=3 years on this shape, the previous shape pricing still looks healthy 2nd hand. Look like a bit of a w&*ker though (cannot afford an E class or decent C) in the C200 Kompressor entry one; Benz doesn't make sense 2nd hand due to the reasons why it makes sense new IMHO

Lexus

Still on the list but bit of a long shot cheaper than expected 1.65m 7xkm but a 2006; will need to look and see it; legit import family connection; lovely car and more enticing than a BMW plus again plenty of import tuner mods CAN be done but would you do it on such a pricey car?! Is this model likely to be replaced in 2012/13?

VW Scirocco

One in Phuket and there's another in BKK belonging to a friend; both probably can get for 1.8-1.9m; both are 2010 still in warranty (although need to check that as they may well be made earlier in 2009); BKK one has a nice brown interior, I don't love how they look but it's pretty nice, definitely the best driving of this list; main issue is who exactly will service them (both imported by VW Thailand but sold by different companies) - anyone know is Barcelona Motors looking to become a legit VW dealer nationwide or just in Phuket? - Yontrakit seem to no longer be in the picture - VW owners use non affiliated mechanics but would be nicer to know the brand is going to go somewhere and not end up dying - and if they need a part these are extremely rare cars how long to wait - also it's going to depreciate like a new Mini Cooper does (similar price new drops about 60% in 6 years mostly) so the current owner takes a hit but so does the new one (me) to a lessor degree. It all gets to the point where you say hell it's a 5 year older car but i can pocket 800k and get a mini which i KNOW there are hundreds of in BKK plus clubs etc etc. But IMHO a much better car than a Mini (not having driven either) for the $$ (you get more HP and more metal )

So currently

1. NEW C200 2.1Xm

X. Ford Ranger Wildtrak (back up solution in case I can't find anything else, but really going to be an issue in May if I don't have a car as I need something) 1.1m

1. 2nd Hand Cooper S 2002-2006 manual spec 1.1m

2. Lexus is 250 2006 1.6Xm

3.= BMW of some sort current generation pre facelift 3 E 90 or the previous Bangle 5 series 523i most likely 1.2 - 1.6m

3.= VW Scirocco 2010 1.8-1.9Xm

Edited by steveromagnino

I'll share my thought process to drive you lot bonkers. If i was this indecisive in sports or work I would never have acheived anything in either!

Now starting to not trust myself so based on reviews, now starting to drop the C200 off in favour of 2nd hand BMW 320D/320i which seems logical seeing the direction BMW are going for the new generation (smaller engine size 4 cylinder turbos plus a big healthy helping of diesels which must go ok after all) plus given that supposedly the BMW in virtually every test outperforms the C200; Lexus driving reports are pretty average (although I liked driving it, admittedly on a race track so it's not entirely a fair comparison) so probably drops off too.

leaving just cars that drive ok and all 2nd hand now and no grey market:

1. 2nd Hand Cooper S 2002-2006 manual spec approx <50,000km 1.1m baht

2a. BMW E60 525iSE 2005/7 approx < 80,000km 1.5-7m baht

2b. BMW E90 320iSE 2006/8 approx <60,000km 1.2-1.4m baht

2c. BMW E90 320D 2008/9 approx <70,000km 1.75-1.9m baht

3. VW Scirocco 2010 approx <30,000km 1.8-1.9Xm baht

First guess is 320iSE will be underpowered but it otherwise is now the sensible low cost option; a few really nice decked out ones that look sweet, even though will drive a bit average.....surprised to know the diesel is decent in the reviews; would guess the 5 series is a better car for the money than the 3, both Bangle generation cars. Discarded the 520 despite being cheaper; the 523 and 525 std are same price as the SE; 5 series which I know quite well from the latest one is a noice car and a lot of the 525s have full body kits etc already making them look the part with the performance to match (unlike the 320).

Comments? (or I can keep talking to myself, I have 2 points of view on everything, thank goodness I studied economics)

Edited by steveromagnino

So now I am considering a European car instead

Err ? Lexus that is a Toyota with a different dress on.. looks good

So why not also think of the Hyundai Sonata looks good, fully kitted out as standered brand new 1.8 million + 5 year warranty

Also Brand new seen a few here in the last few weeks @ under 2 million the all NEW Skoda Superb

I'll stick with Benz as the #1...can't go wrong with that.I know you're the "sporty" type,but don't let this mess up your mind...and economics are with Benz anyway,when it comes to your return investment...smile.png

does it even come as Avantgarde in TH? the classics are taxis and elegance +60yo buyers back home

been promised ranger 3,2 before Songkran, do I believe them?555

I'll stick with Benz as the #1...can't go wrong with that.I know you're the "sporty" type,but don't let this mess up your mind...and economics are with Benz anyway,when it comes to your return investment...smile.png

does it even come as Avantgarde in TH? the classics are taxis and elegance +60yo buyers back home

Yep, C200 is available in 3 variants in TH: vanilla (2.15M + 30K for COMAND), Elegance (2.74M) and Avantgarde (2.93M)

I'll share my thought process to drive you lot bonkers. If i was this indecisive in sports or work I would never have acheived anything in either!

Now starting to not trust myself so based on reviews, now starting to drop the C200 off in favour of 2nd hand BMW 320D/320i which seems logical seeing the direction BMW are going for the new generation (smaller engine size 4 cylinder turbos plus a big healthy helping of diesels which must go ok after all) plus given that supposedly the BMW in virtually every test outperforms the C200; Lexus driving reports are pretty average (although I liked driving it, admittedly on a race track so it's not entirely a fair comparison) so probably drops off too.

leaving just cars that drive ok and all 2nd hand now and no grey market:

1. 2nd Hand Cooper S 2002-2006 manual spec approx <50,000km 1.1m baht

2a. BMW E60 525iSE 2005/7 approx < 80,000km 1.5-7m baht

2b. BMW E90 320iSE 2006/8 approx <60,000km 1.2-1.4m baht

2c. BMW E90 320D 2008/9 approx <70,000km 1.75-1.9m baht

3. VW Scirocco 2010 approx <30,000km 1.8-1.9Xm baht

First guess is 320iSE will be underpowered but it otherwise is now the sensible low cost option; a few really nice decked out ones that look sweet, even though will drive a bit average.....surprised to know the diesel is decent in the reviews; would guess the 5 series is a better car for the money than the 3, both Bangle generation cars. Discarded the 520 despite being cheaper; the 523 and 525 std are same price as the SE; 5 series which I know quite well from the latest one is a noice car and a lot of the 525s have full body kits etc already making them look the part with the performance to match (unlike the 320).

Comments? (or I can keep talking to myself, I have 2 points of view on everything, thank goodness I studied economics)

Given the budgets you've been discussing, and all of your more recent toughts, I have a suggestion :)

Seeing as you're still young enough to drive a Mini - go grab yourself a nice used one for ~1M. It's fun to drive, nice to look at, easy to customize, and it' the kind of car you can keep for years and still recoup most/all of what you paid - and there's not too many SWMBO's that would object to it either.

Then spend the other 1.1M on the 3.2L Wildtrak when it becomes available :D

It's always nice to have a luxury saloon too, but IMHO it's all too much compromise unless you're budgeting ~4M - so just wait until that's something your finances can handle and get the car you really want ;)

Thanks for all the comments.

Taking the jaws of death attached to my bank book (aka SWMBO) to test drive a few cars this Sunday; will aim to dislodge her obsession with massive brand new cars and lean towards a Mini - she wants to spend my cash on a new S60, 5 series or E class both of which will bankrupt me/Volvo off the table now - so it's a step by step process.

YOu are right, at the Mini price, I can keep my existing pickup for the few times I need to move stuff around, or get the extra cab/double cab 2.2 ranger wildtrak 4WD which saves me 200k and will service me the few times I need it per year/when my condo is flooded AGAIN. I would have been happy with the wildtrak 3.2....Ford....well I only waited since Jan 2011 when they FIRST told me they were about to launch it soon so why they would be ready now....who knows. Out of warranty the Mini also can be fun to play around with and is still lowish kms; manuals are decent value are only come in 2005-6 years OR as JCW (according to Mini Thailand). And a ton of places to service it/parts/etc; which knocks the VW off the list most likely.

We will look at a few 525iSEs and 320iSEs/325is of BMW's used selection and the new C200, but you only live once and I might as well get something fitting my position in life....at almost over the hill/looking inside the coffin age....I need to live the age I believe I am, not the age I actually am :_)

BMW the E90/E60 (the Bangle designed Beemers) aren't that different cosmetically than the current 5 series or the very soon to be launched 3 series; hansum car for sure....but not quite the go cart/edge of your seat feel from a Golf, hot hatch not available here, Scirocco or Mini and it will start to get a bit rowdy driving it at a far higher speed; I am happy flicking the car sideways (as i do every night going hom in the u-turn near my house, and in carparks etc at most opportunities) at relatively low speed and having a laugh while doing it...the appeal of a mini to take to track days and have a chance to fiddle with it while using almost no gas does appeal.

The grey market ones are under 1m, the legit ones are about 10-15% more expensive and all of them are out of warranty for the 2005/6 era manuals anyhow...so only question for the grey ones is servicing...legit millenium ones are the easy choice.

As VW are (surprisingly) the only major dealer to contact me almost immediately upon finding out I might be interested in a Scirocco and actually answering all my questions and so forth, and also given that they are in my street (Thai Yarnyon)...I won't cross the Scirocco off until I've tested it; ex. dealer ones are much the same price and also with dealer financing and a full service agreement without needing to go to Phuket and lower price for the top model (not sure if that means R or just the TSI 2.0, definitely not the ABT grey market imports :-))...will check out in the next few days....800k more than a Mini on average but also for a 1 year red plates slightly more than demo mileage almost-new car vs. 7 years old....plus lower finance cost (although not a lot in it with 24 months and 25% down).

Funny, the rest have met me, they know who I am and yet most have been downright reticent to provide info when I've given exact requirements of cars, years, models, mileage, finance terms, everything - prefer just to do nothing - VW the opposite.

Apparently Thai Yarnyon are planning to push the VW brand harder now that they only do the 1 brand (as well as Barcelona BMW) and not Chery, and a million other brands when it was all under Yontrakit.....will have to see to judge.

Sensible is for when I am too old :-) If I can get her to a Scirocco as an option and dislodge the Beemers, then SWMBO will see a saving of 800k of which 20% is set aside for luxury handbags as the 'smart choice'

Maybe with the money saved I can buy her a Toyota Bb or Nissan Cube; for her I believe that is what she would much prefer to drive 'rot nah ruk jung leuy'. Concepts of HP, torque, size of subwoofer....rims...irrelevant once the concept of 'nah ruk' kicks in for some women.

Edited by steveromagnino

but not quite the go cart/edge of your seat feel from a Golf, hot hatch not available here

Lots of GTi Golf's around, here is some For Sale

http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0055&Model=S0593&Body=D1106&

If you want something with go

http://www.one2car.com/SUBARU_IMPREZA/K30540368 and that is for the new shape 2010 model.

To me good looking the Volvo C30

http://www.one2car.com/search/VOLVO_C30/L06540292

Sorry I meant golf scirocco etc which are available (although thankss for the links) and the mnay hot hatches (focus, fiesta, renault, seat) of the modern generation that are popular in uk and europe but not available here for the most part.

subaru is a nice ride but family back home has one already; looking for slightly higher wank factor plus also even in the manipulated tax environment here i still look sideways at what things cost elsewhere.

That's some brutal depreciation though; the small vws are the same ex demos are good value, especially compared to the tiny discount (350k) offered by bmw for higher mileage older cars. No doubt vw will drop way faster though than an older car or similar age bmw benz etc.

Yarnyon sold 100+ sciroccos since 2010 so there's a few to look at. Mini I am guessing there must be at least 100+ cooper s manuals out there somewhere too from legit dealers; more including dodgy ones

Where do you go for servicing volvos, audis, vws and all these european cars (id rather own) inside bkk but more importantly outside of bkk? I have a 740il in HK with no problems whatsoever, but since i cannot work on engines past approx 2000 myself or at local coconut garages im apprehensive, closest service is nelson haus over an hour away up in chonburi, Have a good friend who owns 2nd hand Sclass in bkk whos shelled out well over a mill in the less than 2 yrs hes owned it, youd think it was a lemon but from ive heard similar grief from friends with other european cars including high ransoms also paid to bmw.

Edited by caphant

Yep, C200 is available in 3 variants in TH: vanilla (2.15M + 30K for COMAND), Elegance (2.74M) and Avantgarde (2.93M)

Sorry to be a bit thick but...

What's that actual difference between the models? What extra "bits" do you get? And what about the 250? What does CDI and CGI mean?huh.png

http://www.mercedes-...w204.flash.html

What type of finance deals are available if you qualify?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I know this is out of your budget, but wife and I checked out the Passat CC at the BKK motor Expo.

OOOh, suit you sir, oooh: http://one2car.com/search/VOLKSWAGEN_PASSAT/H31540271

Price is about 2.8 mil. VERY cool and comfy interior. Stock power is 200hp, but can be reflashed to 250hp.

I still don't understand what the issue is with grey market cars. Is there no official VW dealer in Thailand?

Sorry to be a bit thick but...

What's that actual difference between the models? What extra "bits" do you get? And what about the 250? What does CDI and CGI mean?huh.png

http://www.mercedes-...w204.flash.html

What type of finance deals are available if you qualify?

RAZZ

Difference between grades: http://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/content/thailand/mpc/mpc_thailand_website/enng/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/c-class/_w204/facts_/equipment/lines.html

Have had, in Thailand, a C180, 320i, and an X3 2.0d.

The C180, bought new, was a nice car, but expensive when something broke (although dirt cheap compared to what it would have cost in the UK).

The 320i, bought a year old, generally had nothing go wrong, obviously as most things were covered in the free servicing. Recently sold though as it was coming to the end of the free servicing, AND we're heading back to the UK later this year, so we've dropped down to two cars. One thing I would say is it never felt as fast as I'd expected...

The X3, bought new, is my favourite of the 3 European cars we've had here. It's faster than the 320i was (which suggests the 320d would be faster than the 320i too), and so far nothings gone wrong other than having to replace a couple of tyres, and that was from apparently driving over a nail somewhere.

However, if anyone asks me what car to get in Thailand, especially if they're carrying passengers and going upcountry, it's the Fortuner... You can almost buy 3 of them for the cost of one X3, and it's got 7 seats, with plenty of rear legroom (although the 3rd row is strictly kids), even if the driver's got his seat all the way back. Toyota dealers are everywhere, so servicing's not a problem anywhere.

Am even thinking of bringing my Fortuner to the UK in the return, although the difference in price of used cars between the two countries will probably rule that out as just too wasteful of money.

Edited by bkk_mike

Have had, in Thailand, a C180, 320i, and an X3 2.0d.

The C180, bought new, was a nice car, but expensive when something broke (although dirt cheap compared to what it would have cost in the UK).

The 320i, bought a year old, generally had nothing go wrong, obviously as most things were covered in the free servicing. Recently sold though as it was coming to the end of the free servicing, AND we're heading back to the UK later this year, so we've dropped down to two cars. One thing I would say is it never felt as fast as I'd expected...

The X3, bought new, is my favourite of the 3 European cars we've had here. It's faster than the 320i was (which suggests the 320d would be faster than the 320i too), and so far nothings gone wrong other than having to replace a couple of tyres, and that was from apparently driving over a nail somewhere.

However, if anyone asks me what car to get in Thailand, especially if they're carrying passengers and going upcountry, it's the Fortuner... You can almost buy 3 of them for the cost of one X3, and it's got 7 seats, with plenty of rear legroom (although the 3rd row is strictly kids), even if the driver's got his seat all the way back. Toyota dealers are everywhere, so servicing's not a problem anywhere.

Am even thinking of bringing my Fortuner to the UK in the return, although the difference in price of used cars between the two countries will probably rule that out as just too wasteful of money.

Interesting post and valuable advice thumbsup.gif

But why do people always seem to slag off Fortuna's...or is it their drivers? rolleyes.gif

Although I've never driven or sat in one I think I they look alright for what they are.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL