Dim Sum In Pattaya?

doofus

It's been awhile, but when I used to go, Marco Polo at the Montien was excellent. As good as the better places in Bangkok and just as expensive!

http://www.diningint...ttaya_53_84.php

If you want cheap, there is the Canton House (right name?) place in Pattaya Central beach mall. 15 baht per item if I remember correctly. In my view, quite low quality, but worth 15 baht (so is a hot dog)!

Here is another idea I haven't tried but seems to get good PR press. Count on it being expensive: At the ZIGN hotel in Naklua

CHI FAN (TOWER)

The most distinctive feature of Chifan is its Cantonese mouthwatering culinary delights. Its inviting menu includes special dim sum made by the chef as treats on offer daily. Here you will be pampered by a unique dining experience of the modern and elegant Chinese interior design.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for that :-)

Apart from Leng Kee (good Thai-Chinese seafood), China Garden and Chow Soy (both farang-oriented places), are there any jing-jing Chinese restaurants in Pattaya, with or without dim sum, and not linked to hotels?

doofus

Thanks for that :-)

Apart from Leng Kee (good Thai-Chinese seafood), China Garden and Chow Soy (both farang-oriented places), are there any jing-jing Chinese restaurants in Pattaya, with or without dim sum, and not linked to hotels?

doofus

The shark fin place on 2nd road next to Royal Garden has some good, mostly overpriced in my view, Chinese Chinese dishes. It is part of a chain out of Bangkok Chinatown. Not everything is really acceptable though, had their ma po tofu and it was crap. People who are spoiled by places like San Francisco and Hong Kong won't love it, but this is Pattaya. The same Canton House mentioned before, a bigger chain, has some barely acceptable dishes like steamed whole fish (good price) and their roast duck is good. Also Marco Polo does dinner as well. If you're feeling adventurous, there are a few Chinese/Thai-Chinese places on Pattaya north road closer to Sukhumwit than the beach. There is a good Thai Chinese place in the place with a big chicken sign on 2nd road, opposite beach side, going towards Pattaya North from Pattaya Klang. Really good steamed spicy chicken/scallion dish! Nothing in Jomtien that I am aware of.

When I have asked Chinese Chinese people where to go in Pattaya for good Chinese food, they say Bangkok, ha ha.

Edited by Jingthing

There is no yum cha worthy of its name to be found in Pattaya...Bangkok yes...Pattaya unfortunately no. Make a day of it and have a great lunch and some shopping in Bangkok.

Have you tried Marco Polo and think it isn't good? Like I said, I haven't been in quite awhile but when I did go, it was world class. Mind you, I'm not claiming it is great NOW as I wouldn't know, but I would be very surprised if it degraded so much as to be not good. Edited by Jingthing

Dim Sum in San Francisco was excellent, but I've never had better than mediocre in Thailand. I'm not saying that the good stuff does not exist, but I have never had any here.

In Bangkok, it definitely exists.

In Bangkok, try the Ramada Riverside.

The best.

Zign hotel has a great dim sum restaurant

Not surprised as it's a classy place.

Classy but with all the Russians there not much fun for a hotel stay or breakfast buffet or so. The Dim Sum place isn't overcrowded by them despite being not too badly priced, maybe they're not in to Chinese food ...

Zign hotel has a great dim sum restaurant

Not surprised as it's a classy place.

Classy but with all the Russians there not much fun for a hotel stay or breakfast buffet or so. The Dim Sum place isn't overcrowded by them despite being not too badly priced, maybe they're not in to Chinese food ...

I hear you need to wear elbow pads at the Russian breakfast buffet.

• 2 weeks later...

We made a lunch reservation at the Zign hotel on Monday, Chinese New Year. They greeted us nicely and showed us our table where two or three staff served through the leisurely meal. The tea was delicious; the dim sum buffet (all you can eat dim sum, tasty & freshly prepared, just tell them what you want from the menu; appetizer, the soup, stir fry dish, noodle dish and dessert are different each for each day-of-the-week set) was bang on. The buffet cost 339 baht and 120 baht for the tea, plus plus. We were the only customers in the place.

We will definately return.

• Like 1

We made a lunch reservation at the Zign hotel on Monday, Chinese New Year. They greeted us nicely and showed us our table where two or three staff served through the leisurely meal. The tea was delicious; the dim sum buffet (all you can eat dim sum, tasty & freshly prepared, just tell them what you want from the menu; appetizer, the soup, stir fry dish, noodle dish and dessert are different each for each day-of-the-week set) was bang on. The buffet cost 339 baht and 120 baht for the tea, plus plus. We were the only customers in the place.

We will definately return.

WOW! I love Dim Sum, and even though I'm from Canada we have a huge Chinese population and a multitude of authentic provincial Chinese restaurants. Our a la carte Dim Sum is great and you can fill up for about 300 Baht pp, thus Zign buffet seems a decent value. Is thjis an everyday buffet? Mornings and afternoons only I presume?

You can also get Dim Sum at the MK restaurants.

7-11 does too...but I wouldn't recommend either one for human consumption!

Don't knock it til you try it (or maybe you have)... considering the 5 packs of Dim Sum at 7-11 are microwaved while you wait, both the shrimp and crab varieties are very tasty and do not lose quality after being microwaved (unlike Chicken Nuggets, etc), and are great value at 35 Baht. Of course, only when I have a craving for Dim Sum

Don't knock it til you try it (or maybe you have)... considering the 5 packs of Dim Sum at 7-11 are microwaved while you wait, both the shrimp and crab varieties are very tasty and do not lose quality after being microwaved (unlike Chicken Nuggets, etc), and are great value at 35 Baht. Of course, only when I have a craving for Dim Sum

I agree with you on that one, probably full of all sorts of additives but nice on the way home after a few beers.

I agree with you on that one, probably full of all sorts of additives but nice on the way home after a few beers.

I often have Dim Sum at the MK restaurants (which you find in every shopping mall), followed by some delicious duck. Good variety, not expensive and tea is free.

MK duck IS good (but I avoid it because of the too sweet sauce and my diabetes) but their dim sum - as with most Thai dim sum - just doesn't come close to the Chinese taste. My fallback is to have it at home using Friendship frozen dim sum (har gow, siu mai - avoid the green pork ones, horrible, bbq pork buns and often can find others in the frozen food outlet next door), Chinese tea and sometimes my own pork ribs with black bean sauce or somesuch.

Two dim sum dishes I haven't had in a long time: tripe with ginger and Lion beef ball. Miss them and a lot more. Plus the sticky rice in lotus leaf is just not as great here as it should be. None the less, we're heading back to the Zign in a couple of weeks.