Uk University To Open Campus In Thailand

CARLIN

A UK university is to open a campus in Bangkok - in what is claimed as the first such UK branch university to be established in Thailand.

The University of Central Lancashire has signed a deal with a Thai-based entrepreneur to open a university campus in Bangkok in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-16509673

Edited by CARLIN

Could be interesting, but my concern would be standards. How would UK standards be maintained. Employing Thai lecturers (in general terms & without wanting to be accused of Thai bashing) t as they might bring poor teaching practicise with them.

More details would be nice but definatly a positive for Thailand and the UK

Can you reduce the cost of getting a Degree by having a "perfect attendance" record. Or do you just have to hand over all the cash.

Like all business in S.E. Asia ,if this becomes a money spinner there will dozens jumping onto the band wagon and opening up next door......wish I had thought of it first...

Can you reduce the cost of getting a Degree by having a "perfect attendance" record. Or do you just have to hand over all the cash.

Like all business in S.E. Asia ,if this becomes a money spinner there will dozens jumping onto the band wagon and opening up next door......wish I had thought of it first...

Even if you'd though of it you wouldn't have been able to implement it.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that. If a business model works, then copy it. It's what's happens in every country. No point trying in re-inventing the wheel.

Even if you'd though of it you wouldn't have been able to implement it.

Correct, it REALLY is 'easier said than done' here.

I'll watch this space with great anticipation !!!

I'll believe it when I see the first results come out the door. (Not sure which door though hehe).

I can just imagine "and what course are you on?" "I am taking a Bachelors degree in Bonking , next week I go to Pattaya for the practical sessions."

Other courses available: Thai Massage ( Lancashire style). How to run a Bar in Thailand. Road Safety.

Every UK student can be guaranteed a 1st class honours degree if they marry a Thai Lady ( for a small fee ).

• Like 2

I wonder if there will be a sales atand for the East Lancs Railway there? THat would cetailnly be stumper for the locals here.

I can imagine Thais on exchange visits at Bury market trying black pudding, supping tea at Ramsbottom market then onto Rawtenstall for a full English breakfast with no rice but chop sticks are allowed, good luck with the egg!

It could be a step in the right direction but In all seriousness if it does get off the ground there will be numerous obstacles to overcomem, credibility of the qualification gained would certainly be one.

Staffing would be interesting, it would present an excellent opportunity for some of the "qualified" professionals who are here in Thailand to raise their standards and pass on the experience/knowledge which they claim to have which could have a flow on effect.

I for one will be interested to see what if anything comes of it!

Who knows... you can't open a world class university overnight + that's also probably not what this is about. Might be just about getting into the market here, being as it is that Thais are very serious about education (the people, not the government), esp. the hi-sos targeted by this business.

One thing's for sure: It's going to be peng maak maak ;)

Could be just a "english brand name" uni degree manufacture. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong....

British and American universities have long had campuses around the World. This is only a development as it is in Thailand and is a British unversity. Typically, the universities take their brand reputation very seriously and so the level remains high. They usually try to recruit an international coterie of profs who will teach for a term and head home to their real universities.

...obviously this university is a very low level UK university but that still makes it tougher on standards than any local university. They will do pretty well but they will not be followed by other unviersities. The last big move was Nottingham University in China. That seemed much more logical. A massive market where the British Uni brand name is immense.