Investing The Money

radiola

Does anyone know if a foriegner can open a bank account in India? The interest rates are very good...

http://www.hdfcbank....fd_interest.htm

-you can if you have a long term visa or residence permit,

-interest rates look phantastic without taking into consideration that the Indian Rupee (INR) has lost 12-20% vs. major foreign currencies during the last 7 months and that Indian inflation is rampant at 9.5%.

-the rates published by HDFC are for INR deposits which canNOT be converted back into foreign currency!

-income tax applies.

summary: there is no free lunch.

Well theres the rub...... I guess I will make do with 5.5% a bit longer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Risk tolerance?

Can you tolerate the ups and downs in an investment? (will fluctuations keep you awake at night?)

Do you have the capacity for risk? (can you afford to risk your money?)

Do you need to take a risk? (why are you taking a risk?)

Asset Allocation?

How will you spread out the investments? (cash, stocks, fixed, real estate, others)

Diversification?

How will you diversify these investments? (percentage of assets in a single investment)

Expenses?

Keep costs low. Trading fees, taxes. (Pay off credit cards first)

Education?

Read:

'Intelligent Investor'

'Common Sense on Mutual Funds.'

DO NOT DAY TRADE OR WATCH CNBC.

Keep a core of your stock investments in well diversified ETFs or low cost mutual funds.

For investing in condos- ... I get 8% return

Oh please ExpatJ share your real estate wisdom with us.

An 8% return ... is that 'gross' (before expenses) or 'nett' (after expenses)?

Is your 8% perchance guaranteed by the developer?

What particular project have you bought into which is paying the 8% return, what is the floor area of the condo, the approximate value and what is the monthly rental?

Who is renting it (Thai or tourist) and on what basis ... daily/weekly/monthly etc?

Something to remember ... it's sooooooooooo easy to buy a condo, selling it (at a profit) may ultimately prove more challenging.

I talked with my bank again, they can offer me 3% p.a. in austria for 3 years

for 12 months i get 2% p.a.

dam_n leechers, I think inflation is bigger then 2 % per year. In Thailand, must be 6 or 7%

buying gold? <deleted>

For investing in condos- ... I get 8% return

Oh please ExpatJ share your real estate wisdom with us.

An 8% return ... is that 'gross' (before expenses) or 'nett' (after expenses)?

Is your 8% perchance guaranteed by the developer?

What particular project have you bought into which is paying the 8% return, what is the floor area of the condo, the approximate value and what is the monthly rental?

Who is renting it (Thai or tourist) and on what basis ... daily/weekly/monthly etc?

Something to remember ... it's sooooooooooo easy to buy a condo, selling it (at a profit) may ultimately prove more challenging.

The condo is not in thailand- you are right to be skeptical of rental 8% return(after expenses and tax) in Thailand ...

Does anyone know if a foriegner can open a bank account in India? The interest rates are very good...

-interest rates look phantastic without taking into consideration that the Indian Rupee (INR) has lost 12-20% vs. major foreign currencies during the last 7 months and that Indian inflation is rampant at 9.5%.

-the rates published by HDFC are for INR deposits which canNOT be converted back into foreign currency!

-income tax applies.

I looked at Commonwealth banks Au site and I don't see the 5.5%

Balance Interest rate

$0 - $9,999 0.01 % p.a.

$10,000 - $19,999 2.75 % p.a.

$20,000 - $49,999 3.25 % p.a.

$50,000 - $99,999 3.25 % p.a.

$100,000 - $249,000 3.75 % p.a.

$250,000 - $499,999 4.00 % p.a.

$500,000 or more 4.25 % p.a.

I don't think that opening accounts in several counties is the best way to hold a basket of currencies. I believe that Naam has eluded to opening an account in Singapore with multiple currencies but when I have tried to find them in the past the rates of the currencies looked lower. Perhaps that has changed now.

Naam can you recommend a good reliable company in Singapore to do business with?

In the economy as it is worldwide, BE CONSERVATIVE.

Invest only where you will have access to your funds and ideally in something where your funds are government guaranteed, even if this means low interest.

Low interest and security are quite comforting as against high interest and no security....... at this time.

All depends on how risk-averse a person is and what their investment goals are.

If you want low risk, then invest in fixed income treasuries, mutual funds or annuities.

Can't beat the dividend returns in the equity markets though. That portion of my porfolio is returning over 13% per annum, which is of couse subject to capital gains as I am a citizen of the Evil Empire.

-income tax applies.

Balance Interest rate

$0 - $9,999 0.01 % p.a.

I don't think that opening accounts in several counties is the best way to hold a basket of currencies. I believe that Naam has eluded to opening an account in Singapore with multiple currencies but when I have tried to find them in the past the rates of the currencies looked lower. Perhaps that has changed now.

Naam can you recommend a good reliable company in Singapore to do business with?

http://commsec.info/bettertogether/features-and-benefits

I see they have dropped their advertised rate since I joined...........

when i first came to thailand, i think 3 years ago, the 1 euro was 50 bht

is this inflation, if so it is huge!!!!

i think my money is eaten slowly away for god sake

i think i know a new business venture in Thailand

Buffalo farm, so every girl can rent a sick buffalo for sucker falang

Edited by radiola

-income tax applies.

Balance Interest rate

$0 - $9,999 0.01 % p.a.

On-line banks in Australia will give you 6.1%. This has fallen from 6.6% only a few months ago. Government guaranteed. Still very poor when you consider inflation of about 3.5%.

There is no point changing money into Australian dollars to do it though given the AU$ is close to historical highs.

Having a bit of experience in Indonesia and quite a bit of investment, I still feel that as things are today, it is better to err on the side of caution.

That said, I am VERY pro Indonesia and feel that investing there for the longer term is a very good proposition.

But at present, I would be cautious. I can see that many people will lose a lot of money in the next few months by "investing" for return rather than for safety.

I am very positive for Indonesia as well.

Can you explain why do you think there is a risk in the short term ?

is it possible t buy a house in bali and does it go for same price as in thailand, like 2 million bth small house

what about condos in bali,i could not find anything there, only small houses and hotels

bali is also not so strict with visa

and ubud is jut amazing

is it possible t buy a house in Bali and does it go for same price as in Thailand, like 2 million bth small house

what about condos in Bali,i could not find anything there, only small houses and hotels

Bali is also not so strict with visa

and ubud is jut amazing

You cannot legally own land in Bali or anywhere else in Indonesia. You can rent the land for up to 70 years. Anyone who tells you differently is either a liar or an idiot. The only bigger idiots are the people who believe it.

You cannot outright own a condominium likewise 70 year lease only ( in two parts )

The exception to this is if you have an Indonesian spouse AND a pre-nup

To answer the earlier question about a visa for a bank in Indonesia. officially yes, you need, but there are banks that are willing to allow you to open an account

Yes also the money will be taxed.

Regarding visa there are several types. Tourist, SOSBUD ( 6 months at a time, ) Retirement ( VITAS ) but getting a visa to work, a KITAS is difficult. Work without this visa, and it can all go horribly pear-shaped

Price of land is cheapest in the north of the island, try one island over to Lombok if you want even cheaper and are not after a huge nightlife scene

Edited by KNJ