Ais Aircard

dharmabm

Guessing: You have an Acer Iconia A500 WiFi only tablet and you want to utilize the USB port for a mobile broadband GSM/2G aircard?

A quick review of the manual does not indicate that this functionality is supported. Yes there is physical connectivity, with the required dongles/cables/adapters, but it looks like this is for storage and PC connectivity.

Having said that, maybe there is is a hack, you'll have to grind through the various developers sites...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1058846&highlight=usb+aircard

in that thread there is mention of a HUAWEI E160E which supports 900/2100 Mhz 3G and thus would work with AIS/One-2-Call's 3G network here.

It looks like a challenging hack? Your battery will probably last 25 minutes.

@pattayaparent - yes, that's what i mean, thanks - i assume that is a ZTE device?

@lomatopo - i am well aware of the issues and already have a ROM with the 3g dongle support, and there are numerous devices which work, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14603952&postcount=1

as for battery use i think you may be exaggerating a bit, but i'll let you know when i get it working.

i did find this http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/AIS-3G-Aircard/ which shows the potential for a supported card, i guess my next step is off to AIS to see if they know what devices they have (and i'm guessing that might be difficult!) ;>}

anyway, thanks for the few replies.

@pattayaparent - yes, that's what i mean, thanks - i assume that is a ZTE device?

I have an AIS 3G 3.6Mbps Aircard which I used during the flooding....worked very well although I could not use its 3G capability since I wasn't in a 3G coverage area...could only receive EDGE and I always got a reliable connection with around a 200Kb speed. On the aircard's back it says, HSDPA USB Device, Model: MF180, gives the long IMEI number, ZTE Coorporation, made in China.

Any of those air-cards listed which support 900 Mhz 3G would work with AIS/One-2-Call. All of them would work with AIS/One-2-Calls 2G network.

Just highlight each modem, right-click to Google search at look at the specs.

The Huawei E169 and E173, on the approved XDA list, are 900 Mhz 3G capable so would work with AIS/One-2-Call.

The link PattayaParent shared is for MiFi devices, which of course address the application by offering WiFi <--> 3G connectivity for the Acer Tab, but these are not what the OP is looking for.

I was joking a bit on the battery usage, but the aircard will use a lot of power. These were designed to be used with laptops so not really designed with low power consumption as a requirement. 3G radios in tablets are designed for enhanced battery life.

You can buy an air-card anywhere, you do not have to buy it from AIS. Air-cards and phones are not locked to a specific carrier here.

Have you narrowed to service provider choice to AIS only?

Do you have a smartphone? If so you may be able to tether/hot-spot that and share WiFi the Acer Tab.

Edited by lomatopo

AIS just because i've been a customer for years and am (relatively) satisfied with service, support and coverage, but i would not rule out better options. i know from experience with my mother-in-law's iPad that their prepaid data only sims are a pain, as there is no good way to monitor usage, you don't know when you're running out of minutes until it is too late.

and i can and do tether with my p970, but the tablet is for my wife, and she has a crappy phone (and i'm not getting her a new one until it dies).

thanks for the tip on the frequency, and it didn't occur to me to buy one seperately and pop in a sim, but i think i'll swing by AIS tonight and see what they have.

Ive recently started using AIS 3G on my USB aircard , so far the only way ive found to check the state of my account is with

AIS Widget

Screenshot2012-01-17at82012AM.png

it seems only to work with Google chrome

Download Link

http://www.ais.co.th...e-download-app/

Screenshot2012-01-17at82626AM.png

AIS eService Link

http://www.ais.co.th...rnet/en/online/

or by putting the Net SIM into my phone and dialling

Account Balance Dial *121#

Usage Dial *139#

Ive recently started using AIS 3G on my USB aircard , so far the only way ive found to check the state of my account is with

AIS Widget

For me the AIS Widget seems to be picky as to if it works properly or not...provides any account info...I use Windows 7 and IE9. But you can also get all your account information by clicking the 1-2-Call Online menu in the basic Aircard software...provides the same information as what the Widget is suppose to provide but ain't picky about whether it's going to work or not....and you don't have to open a separate piece of software (ie., the Widget) to get the info.

Some air-card UI's also allow you to originate USSD codes like *139#

DTAC/Happy's eServices platform, accessible via the web, shows mobile data usage. They have by far the best eservices platform; TrueMove's is non-existent and One-2-Calls primitive, unless you can register. Edited to add, that the AIS eservice link ThaiLife provided does show current usage. I'd never seen that before.

post-9615-0-68440500-1326772041_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I have an AIS 3G 3.6Mbps Aircard which I used during the flooding....worked very well although I could not use its 3G capability since I wasn't in a 3G coverage area...could only receive EDGE and I always got a reliable connection with around a 200Kb speed. On the aircard's back it says, HSDPA USB Device, Model: MF180, gives the long IMEI number, ZTE Coorporation, made in China.

3G Frequency Band: HSDPA/UMTS 2100MHz

TOT 3G only.