India asks BBC to apologize for 'offensive' comments on Top Gear

News_Editor

India asks BBC to apologize for 'offensive' comments on Top Gear

2012-01-14 04:26:49 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- The Indian government has demanded an apology from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) over a TV program's episode last month which mocked Indian culture.

A Christmas special of the 'Top Gear' program showed presenter Jeremy Clarkson, one of the highest paid BBC presenters known for his controversial comments, mocking Indian culture while driving around the country. Clarkson made controversial comments about India's trains, toilets, clothing, food and history.

In a letter to the program's producer, Chris Hale, and copied to Mark Thompson, director-general of the BBC, the Indian High Commission in London said the BBC was "clearly in breach of the agreement that you had entered into, completely negating our constructive and proactive facilitation."

The letter added: "The program was replete with cheap jibes, tasteless humor and lacked cultural sensitivity that we expect from the BBC. I write this to convey our deep disappointment over the documentary for its content and the tone of the presentation."

The BBC confirmed that it received at least 188 complaints about the episode and said it would directly respond to the Indian High Commission's letter. It gave no other comments.

But before Hale left for India, he reportedly informed the high commission in a letter dated July 21 that the trip was intended to be "light hearted.. focusing on the journey and the inevitable idiosyncrasies of the cars they will drive, as well as the country and the scenery we see along the way," the Press Trust of India (PTI) reported.

Last year, the BBC was forced to apologize to the Mexican ambassador in London after the presenters of the show made jokes of Mexican cars. The trio said the vehicles reflected characteristics of their country of origin, using the words 'lazy, feckless, flatulent and overweight.'

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-14

There was more on this on the BBC yesterday, including a photo of a Jaguar with a toilet seat in the boot and a roll of toilet paper on the aerial - Clarkson described it as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots".

While I think it's fair to say that Clarkson's generalisation isn't 100 % true, a lot of people do suffer from various "botty" related illnesses when in India - hence the phrase "Delhi-Belly".

I was once on a flight and got talking to a British chap, who was from an Indian family, who was on his way to India (via Doha), he had been sent there by his company and hated going to India, because he claimed he was always ill from the minute he got there to after he went back home .

Maybe India like Mexico, need to lighten up a bit.

Who cares about Clarkson? Yes his comments on the toilets and trains are valid and who can forget the embarrassment of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi but for millions of us who have visited India know that it is a country rich in culture and whose hospitality is second to none. The Indian Government shouldn't have condescended to raise such a minor issue.

From the Indian Government letter:

The letter added: "The program was replete with cheap jibes, tasteless humor and lacked cultural sensitivity that we expect from the BBC.

I thought this was the whole point of Top Gear.. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Maybe the High Commissioner didn't like the terrifying sequence on the dual carriageway; or Clarkeson pointing out the appalling toll on India's roads: 175,000 per annum. That's not deaths and injuries; just deaths!

One moment of commentary; "Next morning we woke up and it was like Switzerland. Only warmer; and higher; and much better in every way." When will the irate letter from the Swiss ambassador be dropping on the Beeb's doormat?

Don't know if it will play outside the UK, but here's the link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b018ydx6/

• Like 2

I have only started watching this since BBC came back to true, but I gather that the show's culture is to make fun of about everyone, guests, cars, and hosts alike. Last night's episode where they drove drunks back from the bars in their own cars was pretty funny, and a good example of their light-hearted abuse.

If this is what the show is, so be it. If it offends, don't watch it. If you like that sort of humor (and since I watch Tosh.O, I guess you can assume I can find this type of humor funny), then watch the show. Pretty simple.

I've lived in Mumbai, have many good friends in India and love visiting India ..... but it's plumbing could probably be improved! :-) My Indian friends laugh at the Top Gear team's antics as much as the Brits do, and Clarkson says worse things about the UK.

Perhaps the British High Commissioner in Delhi should complain to the BBC about what Clarkson said about the UK Police, UK speed cameras, UK politicians and the Austin Princess?

Having spent time in India in the past I am in agreement with Clarksons comments, indeed the sanitation and hygiene standards are somewhat primitive if in fact actually non existent,

Good job Clarkson never mentioned the Caste System eh what . The memsahib would not have been amused.

Alert the Memsahib. " Dalits on the horizon."

More than 160 million people in India are considered "Untouchable"—people tainted by their birth into a caste system that deems them impure, less than human.

Human rights abuses against these people, known as Dalits, are legion. A random sampling of headlines in mainstream Indian newspapers tells their story: "Dalit boy beaten to death for plucking flowers"; "Dalit tortured by cops for three days"; "Dalit 'witch' paraded naked in Bihar"; "Dalit killed in lock-up at Kurnool"; "7 Dalits burnt alive in caste clash"; "5 Dalits lynched in Haryana"; "Dalit woman gang-raped, paraded naked"; "Police egged on mob to lynch Dalits".

India's Untouchables are relegated to the lowest jobs, and live in constant fear of being publicly humiliated, paraded naked, beaten, and raped with impunity by upper-caste Hindus seeking to keep them in their place. Merely walking through an upper-caste neighborhood is a life-threatening offense.

India needs to put its own house in order before casting stones at others.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

ehhh...Indians are always complaining about something.

I can't imagine anyone could surpass the small band of farangs in Thailand (with 24/7 access to TV) when it comes to ceaseless moaning, fabricating, extrapolating and generally acting with insensitivity to everything other than their own comfort.

• Like 1

Watched the show last week and thought it was quite well done, reasonably funny and unusually for Clarkson relatively inoffensive. Guess some people are more easily offended than others.

Thougth the train with eth 'Eat English Muffins' sign may have offended some dearies -- when the 'iNS' was ripped off.

I have only started watching this since BBC came back to true, but I gather that the show's culture is to make fun of about everyone, guests, cars, and hosts alike. Last night's episode where they drove drunks back from the bars in their own cars was pretty funny, and a good example of their light-hearted abuse.

If this is what the show is, so be it. If it offends, don't watch it. If you like that sort of humor (and since I watch Tosh.O, I guess you can assume I can find this type of humor funny), then watch the show. Pretty simple.

Your right, if you are going to be offended, do not watch, British humour is part of our culture, if you do not like it, or anything else about our culture, go home, no one is forcing you to stay!

• Like 2

Having spent time in India in the past I am in agreement with Clarksons comments, indeed the sanitation and hygiene standards are somewhat primitive if in fact actually non existent,

Good job Clarkson never mentioned the Caste System eh what . The memsahib would not have been amused.

Alert the Memsahib. " Dalits on the horizon."

More than 160 million people in India are considered "Untouchable"—people tainted by their birth into a caste system that deems them impure, less than human.

Human rights abuses against these people, known as Dalits, are legion. A random sampling of headlines in mainstream Indian newspapers tells their story: "Dalit boy beaten to death for plucking flowers"; "Dalit tortured by cops for three days"; "Dalit 'witch' paraded naked in Bihar"; "Dalit killed in lock-up at Kurnool"; "7 Dalits burnt alive in caste clash"; "5 Dalits lynched in Haryana"; "Dalit woman gang-raped, paraded naked"; "Police egged on mob to lynch Dalits".

India's Untouchables are relegated to the lowest jobs, and live in constant fear of being publicly humiliated, paraded naked, beaten, and raped with impunity by upper-caste Hindus seeking to keep them in their place. Merely walking through an upper-caste neighborhood is a life-threatening offense.

India needs to put its own house in order before casting stones at others.

Well said. I've never understood why the British government doesn't give this kind of answer, whenever countries like India make trifling complaints, such as this one about Clarkson. I also agree with the poster who complained about the UK government giving vast amounts of money to India in aid, when the UK is in financial trouble itself. Aid to India comes seemingly with no strings attached, to help these poor, unfortunate, "untouchables". Beyond belief really, especially when the same government wants to stop giving aid to certain African countries, unless they acknowledge rights for homosexuals !

On a brighter note, on BBC Knowledge yesterday, there were advertisements for this Top Gear India special, apparently it is going to be shown here soon.

I have been to India and all the jokes were based upon the truth, without exception. Good humour is always based on truth, otherwise it doesn't work. They were also quite complimentary about India too, again completely justified. No apology needed as far as I am concerned and as with all comedy shows, if you don't like it turn the set off.

We must NEVER censor comedy, it is the last bastion of free speech and expression in the UK. Everyone should be prepared to be a target and with TopGear everyone is. It is the perfect formula for blokes, fast cars, crappy cars, travel and pi*s taking at every single opportunity.

Again, I thought the show was very funny. Most of the show they were poking fun at the UK. I mean, the entire show was based on them trying to get India to buy more British goods due to their weak economy and India's robust economy.

That part where the banners on the train pulled apart was great.

I do think the part where they hosted a big party for India's hi-so's was a bit strange.

Well, if nothing else, the controversy is going to make me watch this specific episode. Often, I think that if people or organizations which are offended by a show just shut up, the show will quickly pass and be forgotten, but when they raise a hue and cry, everyone tunes in just to see what all the fuss is about.