Home Pro?

BIGJIMMY

Saturday afternoon, pop into Homepro, literally about 50 staff visible inside the first few meters, groups of 3 or 4 all the way up into the store, I keep my head down and walk on, get the bits I want, weaving in and out of the staff, get all the way back to the tills and guess what - 1 person serving and a queue of 3 people waiting to be served!!!!

I know this is probably a very talked about topic and I've mentioned it myself over the years to mates etc but it still amazes me that there are literally 100's of staff in there but never on the tills!!

Said me piece.

Ta ra

Bigus Jimus

• Like 1

Its strange as 90% of the Farang customers also adopt the head down, don't dare talk to me approach but still they come, they are like lemmings. My partner has now learnt to run interference with the lemmings to prevent the embarrassment of me venting my spleen.

This isn't just Thailand. It's worldwide.

Always loads of staff, except where they need to be.

Also referred to as Murphy's law by many.

Ah but the extra staff in the rest of the world will ignore you like a typical 7/11 employee here, either doing their nails or texting someone. The bread of Thais that the DIY stores employ must be on commission because you cant escape them (politely)

Also referred to as Murphy's law by many.

Ah but the extra staff in the rest of the world will ignore you like a typical 7/11 employee here, either doing their nails or texting someone. The bread of Thais that the DIY stores employ must be on commission because you cant escape them (politely)

Only those who are selling the waterheaters or on commission...................waterheater promotion Sir.

Ha ha, glad i'm not the only one then.

It's not a case of them not helping within the store, it's more the case when you come to pay and hand over the ££ that they aren't there, thats normally the most staffed bit - no???

Anyways all good.

Good weekend peeps.

Bigjimmy

When I see a long line at a store in Pattaya (I live here) I will try to find the manager and ask him to help out. I realize it isn't in the Thai culture to complain but tough mangos. If no one says anything then they probably aren't aware of it. Clueless Last night I checked out a couple items at Villa Market at Avenue and the cashier clerk could not say "Hello or swatdeku" she was eating her ??? of a plastic bag which was anchored in the cash register and she acted like I was interrupting her grazing. I gave her the money, she gave me my change back...no "kup" or smile...just continued to eat her soup. I am tired of the poor training these stores do in this city. The only ones I find that are decent are the clerks at Seven Eleven.

Edited by toenail

I agree, it's very annoying sometimes, when they follow you like a shadow, but don't know nothing.

Did anybody try this DIY store (Hardwarehouse)?

Its a giant store. They have nearly everything, but not these *** million Bath "poser" whirlpools etc.

I found some items there, I searched in Pattaya before, where nobody had them in stock.

NO annoying staff, NO "waterheater seller", but if you need somebody, I found out that they are competent in 90 % of all cases.

Seems to be a really professional managed store.

My first choice in DIY stores in Thailand. thumbsup.gif

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

I went to Home Pro (Pattaya Klang) today and remembered this forum. I saw 4-5 clusters of 4 or more sales clerks standing. I was looking for small nails. Couldn't fine them myself so went to one....two....three workers before they could help me. Next the 3rd one misunderstood me... (I want small, "nit-noi") had me go to another worker. Since this is a tourist town and about 60-70% of the customers speak English as a second or first language, you think someone could understand simple English. I think the ones that can should wear a T-shirt "I understand English" or "I understand Russian" It would make more sense for the company to get rid of most of their "sales people" and pay some good salaries to a few that know various languages.

always to many, bloody pests, i went to buy a vacuum cleaner today, then bam starigth away the hassle, so walked away, then went back a few minutes later and again another straight on me. they dont seem to understand just want to look, there a complete pain. lost them the sale.

always to many, bloody pests, i went to buy a vacuum cleaner today, then bam starigth away the hassle, so walked away, then went back a few minutes later and again another straight on me. they dont seem to understand just want to look, there a complete pain. lost them the sale.

Strange,I never have that problem with them when I walk in.

May be that is because they had to financially compensate me a few times already for their ignorance and lack of service.

Next the 3rd one misunderstood me... (I want small, "nit-noi") had me go to another worker. Since this is a tourist town and about 60-70% of the customers speak English as a second or first language, you think someone could understand simple English. I think the ones that can should wear a T-shirt "I understand English" or "I understand Russian" It would make more sense for the company to get rid of most of their "sales people" and pay some good salaries to a few that know various languages.

You should have told them "dapuu (nail) lek lek" not "nit-noi". "Nit-noi" is more like "only a little bit".

But the Idea with T-Shirts is really good.

I went to Home Pro yesterday for some small things. Went straight through the crowd of sales staff, stopped near them, looked here and there, but nobody wanted to sell something to me.

Maybe, they can differentiate "expats" and "tourists"

I think, they are trained to bug the "typical short time tourist", who comes in, hand in hand with his Teerak, to buy a waterheater or some household goods...tongue.png

Edited by roban

When I see a long line at a store in Pattaya (I live here) I will try to find the manager and ask him to help out. I realize it isn't in the Thai culture to complain but tough mangos. If no one says anything then they probably aren't aware of it. Clueless Last night I checked out a couple items at Villa Market at Avenue and the cashier clerk could not say "Hello or swatdeku" she was eating her ??? of a plastic bag which was anchored in the cash register and she acted like I was interrupting her grazing. I gave her the money, she gave me my change back...no "kup" or smile...just continued to eat her soup. I am tired of the poor training these stores do in this city. The only ones I find that are decent are the clerks at Seven Eleven.

I would love to see how YOU would treat customers if YOU were being paid $180.00 per month.

I want to buy nid noi nails......hahahahaha I would have run away if I was a worker there. They are shy enough without the broken Thai/English. That's like saying; "I want to buy a little bit of nails."

My Thai is actually ok however when it comes to Medical or Police (law) speaking I'm not perfect. If anyone has an iPhone you should download "Google Translate" and it is awesome. Just speak to your iPhone in English then show them the Thai font and not only will you be the farang who is weaving his way through staff workers with his head down presenting that "Whatever you do, don't talk to me" look, you might actually have a laugh with them and bring smiles all around.

Slightly offtopic as it is about another store, but did a lot of shopping in (Down Stairs) Baan Chang (Sukhumvit, across from Big C) yesterday. we had to wait around 10-15 min for a cashier as it was just around lunch time crazy.gif

Edited by MJCM

I would love to see how YOU would treat customers if YOU were being paid $180.00 per month.

Give me a break--- I think we have all worked for minimum wage in our home country when we were in highschool or college. We could not stand around and do nothing or else we would lose our job. Comparing $180.00 to your Western country is lke comparing apples and oranges. There is something called "customer service"/ accountablity which lacks in most stores in this country. (and a sales commission would help)

I went to Home Pro (Pattaya Klang) today and remembered this forum. I saw 4-5 clusters of 4 or more sales clerks standing. I was looking for small nails. Couldn't fine them myself so went to one....two....three workers before they could help me. Next the 3rd one misunderstood me... (I want small, "nit-noi") had me go to another worker. Since this is a tourist town and about 60-70% of the customers speak English as a second or first language, you think someone could understand simple English. I think the ones that can should wear a T-shirt "I understand English" or "I understand Russian" It would make more sense for the company to get rid of most of their "sales people" and pay some good salaries to a few that know various languages.

I think they should wear a T-shirt that says "do I look like I care?"

Clearly, the majority prefer preening their hair, picking their noses, chit chatting amongst themselves, fiddling with phones much smarter than they are, snacking on tidbits and/or merely staring into space. There was one occassion when I encountered a very helpful staff, who despite his lack of English was clearly determined to help. I was so relieved that I wanted to tip him!

Westerners have to understand that many Asians make the decision to purchase before they enter the shop. That is, they are going to buy whereas we will probably only buy if we feel it is good value or we may be comparing prices.

That is why you have the "flies round sh*te" clowns swarming on you because they assume you are going to buy and will buy from the loudest or on their "advice".

They also assume you are as ill educated and as lacking in knowledge as they are.

Edited by SGD

Westerners have to understand that many Asians make the decision to purchase before they enter the shop. That is, they are going to buy whereas we will probably only buy if we feel it is good value or we may be comparing prices.

100% agree!

I remember some years ago, when I was out with my ex-wife, I used to go in to some hardware shops/car showrooms etc....

And she asked me: "why do go inside? Do you want to buy something?"

I answered: "No, I am only looking what they have, and compare the prices..."

She didn't understand...TIT

It isn't just shops either. I recently had the pleasure of spending 50 minutes standing in the passport queue at Suvarnabhumi after a long flight. Plenty of desks, just nobody manning them. Welcome to Thailand, Farangs.

100% agree!

I remember some years ago, when I was out with my ex-wife, I used to go in to some hardware shops/car showrooms etc....

And she asked me: "why do go inside? Do you want to buy something?"

I answered: "No, I am only looking what they have, and compare the prices..."

She didn't understand...TIT

You mean a Thai woman only enters a clothing store/department with the clear intent of a purchase? Fascinating cultural difference, indeed!