Car Registration

Phil_ne_uk

I’ve just bought a second hand car in Pattaya. The car is registered in Bangkok, I’ve searched for tips about changing the registration to my name and found conflicting opinions (quoted below) about where to go and if it should be re-registered for the place where I live.

Also it’s been stated that when buying a car that the dealer should change the registration details for you. So my questions are as follows,,,

Will they change a fee for doing this or should it be in with the price of the car?

What is the actual cost to transfer car registration?

Should my car be registered in Pattaya where I presently live?

If so what does it cost for new plates?

If I do this will I still need to go to Bangkok where it’s presently registered?

My girlfriend suggests keeping Bangkok plates as this will keep the resale value higher. I stay in a rented apartment/resort so legally I don’t have a fixed address i.e. my own house meaning I don’t need to register in Chonburi.

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil

Quote from Brew

go to the registration office in your province with all required documents, and signed copies of the documents. Of course you have to take your car with you, it will be checked.

They will request the file in the province where the car has been registered before. But it takes time. When I did it, it took nearly 3 months. And they didn't inform me like they promised. So I went there again when it took to long. Of course they insisted they sent me a letter, and I had to pay a fine of some 100 baht.

Quote from Cobber

Best to go to the office in the province where the vehicle is registered and do the transfer there. Its not compulsary to take the previous owner along but take him if you can, just in case there is something he hasnt done on the paperwork. The staff at these offices can be a bit perdantic and it might save you another trip back there.

To comply with the law you should change it over to the province that you live in but many people dont and it doesnt seem to be a big drama. However its not that difficult to do. Its just 2 trips to your local Dept. of Transport office . One to do the paperwork and another trip to pick up the new plates.

If your buying new or second hand from a yard they should do all of this for you, and there are also many agents that will do it all for you.

Quote from Astral

You don't need to go in person to change the ownership, or the province.

The local garage, or dealer will have a guy who will handle it for you.

One of the forms you sign is Power of Attorney to let the guy handle it on your behalf.

All you need to do is sign the forms, get a copy of you passport

and a letter from immigration confirming where you live.

I’ve just bought a second hand car in Pattaya. The car is registered in Bangkok, I’ve searched for tips about changing the registration to my name and found conflicting opinions (quoted below) about where to go and if it should be re-registered for the place where I live.

Also it’s been stated that when buying a car that the dealer should change the registration details for you. So my questions are as follows,,,

Will they change a fee for doing this or should it be in with the price of the car?

What is the actual cost to transfer car registration?

Should my car be registered in Pattaya where I presently live?

If so what does it cost for new plates?

If I do this will I still need to go to Bangkok where it’s presently registered?

My girlfriend suggests keeping Bangkok plates as this will keep the resale value higher. I stay in a rented apartment/resort so legally I don’t have a fixed address i.e. my own house meaning I don’t need to register in Chonburi.

Thanks in anticipation.

Quote from Brew

go to the registration office in your province with all required documents, and signed copies of the documents. Of course you have to take your car with you, it will be checked.

They will request the file in the province where the car has been registered before. But it takes time. When I did it, it took nearly 3 months. And they didn't inform me like they promised. So I went there again when it took to long. Of course they insisted they sent me a letter, and I had to pay a fine of some 100 baht.

Quote from Cobber

Best to go to the office in the province where the vehicle is registered and do the transfer there. Its not compulsary to take the previous owner along but take him if you can, just in case there is something he hasnt done on the paperwork. The staff at these offices can be a bit perdantic and it might save you another trip back there.

To comply with the law you should change it over to the province that you live in but many people dont and it doesnt seem to be a big drama. However its not that difficult to do. Its just 2 trips to your local Dept. of Transport office . One to do the paperwork and another trip to pick up the new plates.

If your buying new or second hand from a yard they should do all of this for you, and there are also many agents that will do it all for you.

Quote from Astral

You don't need to go in person to change the ownership, or the province.

The local garage, or dealer will have a guy who will handle it for you.

One of the forms you sign is Power of Attorney to let the guy handle it on your behalf.

All you need to do is sign the forms, get a copy of you passport

and a letter from immigration confirming where you live.

Two identical threads merged.

Don't start a new thread just because no one posted in your first one. :o

Why don't you go to a motor insurance company and get them to do it all?

because I thought that a new subject title might generate some response, but I was wrong as obviously knows the answers! I have insurance already so can't ask them. thanks.

because I thought that a new subject title might generate some response, but I was wrong as obviously knows the answers! I have insurance already so can't ask them. thanks.

I understand, but I still think it's worth asking your insurance company if they can help. I believe most insurance companies will do the yearly registration (900 baht?) and get the compulsory government insurance (Por Lor Bor - 1000 baht?) for their clients, so they should be able to help.

Have a look at this old thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34790

Two identical threads merged.

Don't start a new thread just because no one posted in your first one. :o

Why don't you go to a motor insurance company and get them to do it all?

I use my car ins. co. to get the annual stickers for my Harley, no problems. Bike is reg. in another province, I keep old reg. because of the hard to get spec. numbers. 888