Shipping Personal Items To Phuket?

intrigueme

Can anyone tell me any more particulars about moving personal effects into Phuket from abroad? From what I've gathered I have 6 months from time of entry and I can bring a shipment of personal items in duty-free.

But does it matter if the personal items are new or used? I've heard conflicting reports about this but it would appear the regulations state that it doesn't matter as long as they are personal effects.

Any feedback from residents who have gone through this process would be a big help!

What is your situation regarding a Thailand visa ?

I will be entering Thailand on a non-B visa and then once inside Thailand have it certified by immigration for a 12 month time period, renewable once per year.

My understanding is that with the year visa we can bring in our personal effects duty-free, however there is a lot of conflicting reports on USED vs. NEW items if they are personal effects.

intrigueme, you may want to read these up from phuketgazette.com:

Importing personal posessions

Retirees importing personal belongings

Hope they'll help. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply - I checked out the two articles but they are conflicting, the first says duty must be paid and the second says no duty must be paid? I'm coming in on a non-B visa so I understand I have six months to bring my personal effects in duty-free - is this your understanding? Thanks in advance!

The customs for sure wants to see your work permit as well.

Here a link to the official site:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...e=HouseHold#top

Important is that you are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before. If owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties.

A customs inspector will certainly not accept a new item in original factory packing as used household effect. It might help, however, if you open and re-pac the carton(s), seal with tape. A clear sign, you sued it and packed for transport in the original packaging. Whatwever it is, make sure it looks not un-used.

This BTW is not only in Thailand. Customs officers around the world do look for unused items, probably bought in the last moment...

Important is that you are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before. If owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties.

A customs inspector will certainly not accept a new item in original factory packing as used household effect. It might help, however, if you open and re-pac the carton(s), seal with tape. A clear sign, you sued it and packed for transport in the original packaging. Whatwever it is, make sure it looks not un-used.

This BTW is not only in Thailand. Customs officers around the world do look for unused items, probably bought in the last moment...

Axel,

Thanks for the info- this is great.  After reading the site it seems fairly straightforward however I wonder about the "work permit" part.

With my own situation I don't require a work permit because I'm not paid by a Thai company - I'm paid by a foreign company so Thai gov't doesn't require a work permit.  I'm assuming my visa and letter from immigration will suffic?

Thanks again!

Edited by intrigueme

Axel,

Thanks for the info- this is great.  After reading the site it seems fairly straightforward however I wonder about the "work permit" part.

With my own situation I don't require a work permit because I'm not paid by a Thai company - I'm paid by a foreign company so Thai gov't doesn't require a work permit.  I'm assuming my visa and letter from immigration will suffic?

Thanks again!

I think that it will be WP or nothing.

intrigueme, Bangkok is insistig on WP as well as extented permission to stay.

As even retirement does not allow duty free import, no WP no go.

Sometimes it helps, but no guarantee, to go by yourself, not to speak Thai and beg...

A bit off topic, you say: I don't require a work permit because I'm not paid by a Thai company -

You need a WP for any kind of work. Even help after the tsunami cannot be offered without WP.

Axel / Pat Pong,

Thanks for the helpful information and posts. Axel, I'm curious as to where you are getting your info regarding work permits? From my dealings with the embassies and consulates abroad there is a definite distinction between performing work for a Thai-based company (ie - incorporated or established in Thailand) and a foreign company (with no establishment in Thailand).

My non-B visa was granted on the premise that I have been contracted to do research work for a foreign company not established in Thailand. All of my salary as well as expenses in Thailand will be paid by that foreign company. The embassies and consulates I spoke with made it very clear that I do not require a work permit as I am not gainfully employed by a Thai company. It is not possible to secure a Thai work permit other than through a Thai based company.

Now, in the example you gave of tsunami relief I don't doubt your premise, all of those relief workers would likely be associated with some Thai organization or possibly a foreign organization with a Thai subsidiary (like a Red Cross, etc.) - they would surely need to get a Thai work permit.

Maybe you could clarify where you are getting your information on the work permits from as your info would definitely contradict what the embassies/consulates have told me. Also, how would you propose getting a work permit from a foreign company that does not have a Thai-based subsidiary?

Thanks for your response in advance!

intrigueme, you should do a search in here for 'working'. You might base as well on the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521

All aliens engaged in any kind of work in Thailand must hold a valid work permit, issued principally by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare pursuant to the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (A.D. 1978).
The term "work" is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other remuneration. Working without a valid work permit even for a day is a criminal offense.

Where else I do get my inofrmation? Once from police-officers visiting my office to arrest me. Luckily, at that time I was not in the office, resp. had left 1 hour earlier abroad to get a new visa.

Have a look in here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/391.0.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/288.0.html

or perhaps here:

http://www.lawyer.th.com/QR-thai-work-perm...equirements.asp

The criteria you mention, not being paid, resp. not being paid in Thailand, is actually irrelevant. In practise it is enough if you are found at a work place without having a WP.

...to do research work for a foreign company not established in Thailand. All of my salary as well as expenses in Thailand will be paid by that foreign company.

Perhaps a low profile and no enemies would let slip you through the system, I would, however, not advise this.

intrigueme, you should do a search in here for 'working'. You might base as well on the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521
All aliens engaged in any kind of work in Thailand must hold a valid work permit, issued principally by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare pursuant to the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (A.D. 1978).

The term "work" is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other remuneration. Working without a valid work permit even for a day is a criminal offense.

Where else I do get my inofrmation? Once from police-officers visiting my office to arrest me. Luckily, at that time I was not in the office, resp. had left 1 hour earlier abroad to get a new visa.

Have a look in here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/391.0.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/288.0.html

or perhaps here:

http://www.lawyer.th.com/QR-thai-work-perm...equirements.asp

The criteria you mention, not being paid, resp. not being paid in Thailand, is actually irrelevant. In practise it is enough if you are found at a work place without having a WP.

...to do research work for a foreign company not established in Thailand. All of my salary as well as expenses in Thailand will be paid by that foreign company.
Perhaps a low profile and no enemies would let slip you through the system, I would, however, not advise this.

Thanks Axel for your insight - I will certainly take this into consideration before we ship anything over. Your help is appreciated!