Nissan Nv

Jebhead

You have to consider how much offset the new wheels you are considering have.

An 'old school' style - usually called deep dish and not seen around much anymore, place the wheel hub more toward the inside of the rim. Most modern rims use the opposite, and have the hub toward the outside of the rim, allowing more room for larger brake calipers.

Only sure-fire way is to mount a desired tire on the rim, install on vehicle, and check clearances at full right and left lock, and at max suspension compression.

You can usually get away with what they call a 'Plus 1' change.

Go from a 15" rim to a 16" rim, but install a tire with a lower aspect ratio. This keeps overall diameter close to the same, so speedo reads correctly. Be aware of clearance issues as many times the new plus 1 tire will also be wider, and ride will suffer with the stiffer sidewall.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the BBS style 14" wheels on my stock 2006 NV. Plus one to 15" easy to do and most recommended because of low cost and the common 50-55 series tires don't cause damage as easy as when you go to a larger wheel. Plus two to 16" also not so hard as long as you pay attention to width and the backspacing as someone mentioned above.....the front wheels being more critical here as the tire comes close to the strut. However, there are complaints the car becomes slow because of the extra wheel weight and 45 series tires cause rim damage easy. Some people have even gone to 17" but that is really pushing it here with the bad roads in Thailand. Also, make sure the hub center hole is Nissan friendly as the Honda/Toyota ID is smaller.

FWIW, I am going to stick with the lightweight stock wheels and put wider/smaller OD 175/50/14 tires on the front and 185/55/14 or 194/45/14 on the back. The car will be about one inch lower, and will handle and accelerate better. I have a header, cone intake, bumped timing, tranny mods and so forth. The car will take on a stock 3.0L diesel truck and 2.0L auto car as-is, and I don't want to ruin that. I know the car might look silly with the small diameter tires, but I don't care. :P Performance is my highest priority as passing/overtaking when I go to Isaan is quicker and safer.......

• 4 months later...

FWIW, I am going to stick with the lightweight stock wheels and put wider/smaller OD 175/50/14 tires on the front and 185/55/14 or 194/45/14 on the back. The car will be about one inch lower, and will handle and accelerate better. I have a header, cone intake, bumped timing, tranny mods and so forth. The car will take on a stock 3.0L diesel truck and 2.0L auto car as-is, and I don't want to ruin that. I know the car might look silly with the small diameter tires, but I don't care. tongue.png Performance is my highest priority as passing/overtaking when I go to Isaan is quicker and safer.......

Did you do that and if so, is it as expected?

• 2 weeks later...

Had 16" on NV no problems , recently tried to find new 16" for RWD and had hard time so would think most now for FWD, you want offset Et42 to 45 for standard look. www.1010tires.com has a calculator for different offsets and rim widths.

I just collected an RV and the wheels look small - they are 13" Dia.

Do you think they're aftermarket?

post-37414-0-49436300-1340726043_thumb.j

Yes for the wheels, but it's an NV could only be viewed as an RV if your 18 years old.

Sorry, yes NV - typo' and Edit option gone.

I checked the original spare since, so you're right 13" is correct, but I read elsewhere that standard is 14" and that 15" or even 16" is OK.

Even with lower profile tyres, that must make a difference to gear ratio and speedo' readings?

Mine might be a basic spec' model, but I don't imagine the gear box (Auto) is any different?

Thanks for the reply....and yes I'm (well) over 18yo. sad.png

They are quite cheap... What are NV's like to drive? The 1.6 should be ok, but might go better with a sr20DET in there:)

So far I love it.

When I came out 6 years ago I bought the 'obligatory' brand new black Fortuner and late an Isuzu D-Max Platinum 3.0.

Both are now history and I've managed without a car for nearly 3 years.

I don't need a big truck, or the capital tied up, the costs and the stress.

This is ideal for me and has even impressed a 6'6" sceptic I took for a 100km trip yesterday.

It's quite pokey enough due to its light weight and can get up to 160 km/hr if you want.

It handles great too and considering that I hadn't even heard of them a month ago, I'm very pleased that I did.

I probably will upgrade the wheels to 15" later and I'm looking at an LPG conversion - then the big tour of Thailand and Cambodia at c. 1 Baht/km.