Tourism Council Of Thailand: Terror Alert Is Normal Procedure

webfact

Don't be so hard on the Thais, they haven't really had to deal with this type of terror situation before. The events are overwhelming to those with no experience. It is easy for some westerners to criticize, but the UK has had 2 generations raised in the midst of terror,1st with the IRA and then with events like the Pan Am bombing and the the subway bombs. Most Englishmen/women know what to do. Same for France, Spain etc. The US has lived with this since 9/11. In Thailand, terror attacks have been nicely isolated in the deep south and have not touched anyone outside the region. Now that the realpolitik of foreign terrorists is here, they just don't know what to do. Think back to 9/11 in the USA, the Americans, while not has flustered, spent alot of time thrashing about and in that case they had a real terror attack on their hands. Up until then it was just nutters like Tim McVeigh or the Branch Davidians. The same situation holds for the Thais. Yes they had the Bangkok protests, but they were dealing with local problems and no one was threatening foreigners. Not making excuses, but this is going to be a learning curve and the authorities are basically special ed kids being asked to do university level homework.

They have had communist insurgents, southern separatists, numerous bombs in BKK, and their own version of the Red Brigade. how much experience do they need?

The communist insurgents were anouther era, the southern separatists are not of interest and the BKK bombs were their own political battles.

Some of the communist insurgents were very much present just last year. Sorry make thaat 2010 - doesn't time fly?

Edited by OzMick

Don't be so hard on the Thais, they haven't really had to deal with this type of terror situation before. The events are overwhelming to those with no experience. It is easy for some westerners to criticize, but the UK has had 2 generations raised in the midst of terror,1st with the IRA and then with events like the Pan Am bombing and the the subway bombs. Most Englishmen/women know what to do. Same for France, Spain etc. The US has lived with this since 9/11. In Thailand, terror attacks have been nicely isolated in the deep south and have not touched anyone outside the region. Now that the realpolitik of foreign terrorists is here, they just don't know what to do. Think back to 9/11 in the USA, the Americans, while not has flustered, spent alot of time thrashing about and in that case they had a real terror attack on their hands. Up until then it was just nutters like Tim McVeigh or the Branch Davidians. The same situation holds for the Thais. Yes they had the Bangkok protests, but they were dealing with local problems and no one was threatening foreigners. Not making excuses, but this is going to be a learning curve and the authorities are basically special ed kids being asked to do university level homework.

They never had to deal with this type of terror situation?

How about dealing with it on a daily base for the past 5 years or so in the south?

100% agreed.

There is a big difference between what is happening now and the south;

- The southern insurgency is seen as just that, an insurgency that the Thais are responding to with conventional means.

- The attacks of the south have stayed in the deep south and have never targeted the tourism industry or foreigners.

- The south relates to actual Thai related activities, that the population understand and can decide whether they wish to take a stand. Thais that are attacked know who their enemy is, or at least think they know who their enemy is.

The Hezbollah situation is completely different as it is a foreign group taking a foreign issue to Thailand to attack other foreigners. The Thais don't really know who or what is involved and have to rely on foreign intelligence services to tell them when foreign terror cells are on the move, The Thais can gather intelligence on southern insurgents, but they can't do it with Hezbollah. Thailand doesn't have the same knowledge basis with foreign groups as it does with domestic groups. The Thais do not have a stake in the Hezbollah vs the west fight. All Thailand sees is a threat to tourism and its brand image. Thailand can put up its imaginary walls and in conjunction with a complicit press keep reporting on terror attacks to a minimum in the south. It can't do that for an event in Bangkok. At this time, Thailand is a junior player in this event, whereas in the south, Thailand is a participant. Thailand can take syeps that will calm the southern population, but it really cannot do that for the Hezbollah event, since it is all new to them and they are learning as they go along.

I can drive a small truck. This does not mean I can drive a heavy rig. Understand now?

Bali got hit a few years ago. Why Bali? I don't know. Why not Thailand? I don't know either.

Maybe Yingluck should call off the terrorists too, not just the countries raising a warning. The tourists then might feel better about coming.

Where's my Dilbert comic? coffee1.gif

Oz has quite a few Lebanese immigrants, and names like Bayeh, Ibrahim, Nassour, Sayour, Macris regularly appear in our newspapers - crime and court reports mainly - far out of proportion to their percentage of the population.

Omg they have names like Ibrahim - what a crime.

Showing off the true colour now ...

• Like 1

I believe that the traffic in Thailand kills much more people then all terror actions ever will!!

Why not starting saving lives in that end? To expensive?

I believe that would gain the tourism much more... But that little issue is sweeped under the carpet!

What are you saying? Terrorism is OK. The security services can stand own and issue tickets for not wearing a helmet! Go back to your own weird little planet.

Oz has quite a few Lebanese immigrants, and names like Bayeh, Ibrahim, Nassour, Sayour, Macris regularly appear in our newspapers - crime and court reports mainly - far out of proportion to their percentage of the population.

As I noted before, your reading comprehension is sadly lacking. There is no crime in a name, but their names regularly appear in crime. While Oz accepts many immigrants, we certainly could have done without Bill Bayeh, Sam Ibrahim and their associates.

As I noted before, your reading comprehension is sadly lacking. There is no crime in a name, but their names regularly appear in crime. While Oz accepts many immigrants, we certainly could have done without Bill Bayeh, Sam Ibrahim and their associates.

No worry, i understand you.

Like i said, you are showing off your true colours.

No worry, i understand you.

Like i said, you are showing off your true colours.

As I fully understand your futile defence of terrorists and criminals. You still havn't told me why Hezbollah was buying "harmless" fertilizer without the appropriate permit, re-labelling it and shipping it under a false description, or why the innocent "Swedish man" confessed to a bomb plot?

BTW your "god" is a bronze age myth for those who can't accept that death is final - no paradise and no virgin goats.

Wow. This article was about the Thai Tourist Council and their inept remarks regarding terror alerts. The Thai Tourist Council spokesperson comments as a buffoon would. Who would take those comments seriously? "A normal procedure?" "only a level 2 out of a level 4", "a number of Free Independent Travelers - FIT from HK and Taiwan had canceled, having an impact on Thailand's image." Preposterous comments from an appointed official with total disregard for the well-being of the tourist constituency.

Some posters here have "excused" away the Thai reaction and behavior toward the alert and its meaning. That Thais are challenged resulting from lack of experience and aren't armed with the reasoning skills to figure out that global war on terror is "global" is not acceptable and needs to be taken seriously. But the Thais have been mounting armed, organized defense against the terror of communist infiltration for decades. They have been terrorizing and killing their own student groups who protest various incongruities in Thai privileged class elite management and military dictatorship governments for decades. They have been killing southern muslim terrorists for ten years in response to bombings, truck bombings, motorcycle shootings..etc. They have "ignored' the breaches of security inherent in airport closings by political groups and slapping of security personnel fulfilling their mission and doing their job. Thais have taken great joy after 2007 New Year bombings and the closing of celebrations, to report that "it's business as usual' and the Thai press has evangelized this same complacency time and again.

Complacency, unwavering denial, total rejection of any idea not Thai or part the "Thai way," sticking to " defiant Thainess," uninformed, disinterested awareness of world events, consequences, and ramifications. Sure the Thais are inept, self absorbed, and have an over inflated sense of self importance, and have big problems with doing the right thing with outside world reconciliation, but until they are able to identify that they have these problems and need help, they will be buried in their own ego forever.

The truth is, that most tourists, notwithstanding many come for sex trade, would consider a terror warning serious business. If they pick up a copy of the Thai newspapers and bother to read about it, most would laugh at the comments like we do. Who would take the Thais seriously after reading the Thai English newspaper? Further to reality, Thailand is actually a sitting duck for terrorist activity and it is a concern. lack of security, criminal activity, rampant corruption, flagrant violation of law and bribing, and on and on. Thailand is in effect an equivalent of a failed state by the definition that the state is unable to provide security for its citizens and that the government is abducted by corrupt, criminal and illegal operations and governance.

Wow. This article was about the Thai Tourist Council and their inept remarks regarding terror alerts. The Thai Tourist Council spokesperson comments as a buffoon would. Who would take those comments seriously? "A normal procedure?" "only a level 2 out of a level 4", "a number of Free Independent Travelers - FIT from HK and Taiwan had canceled, having an impact on Thailand's image." Preposterous comments from an appointed official with total disregard for the well-being of the tourist constituency.

Some posters here have "excused" away the Thai reaction and behavior toward the alert and its meaning. That Thais are challenged resulting from lack of experience and aren't armed with the reasoning skills to figure out that global war on terror is "global" is not acceptable and needs to be taken seriously. But the Thais have been mounting armed, organized defense against the terror of communist infiltration for decades. They have been terrorizing and killing their own student groups who protest various incongruities in Thai privileged class elite management and military dictatorship governments for decades. They have been killing southern muslim terrorists for ten years in response to bombings, truck bombings, motorcycle shootings..etc. They have "ignored' the breaches of security inherent in airport closings by political groups and slapping of security personnel fulfilling their mission and doing their job. Thais have taken great joy after 2007 New Year bombings and the closing of celebrations, to report that "it's business as usual' and the Thai press has evangelized this same complacency time and again.

Complacency, unwavering denial, total rejection of any idea not Thai or part the "Thai way," sticking to " defiant Thainess," uninformed, disinterested awareness of world events, consequences, and ramifications. Sure the Thais are inept, self absorbed, and have an over inflated sense of self importance, and have big problems with doing the right thing with outside world reconciliation, but until they are able to identify that they have these problems and need help, they will be buried in their own ego forever.

The truth is, that most tourists, notwithstanding many come for sex trade, would consider a terror warning serious business. If they pick up a copy of the Thai newspapers and bother to read about it, most would laugh at the comments like we do. Who would take the Thais seriously after reading the Thai English newspaper? Further to reality, Thailand is actually a sitting duck for terrorist activity and it is a concern. lack of security, criminal activity, rampant corruption, flagrant violation of law and bribing, and on and on. Thailand is in effect an equivalent of a failed state by the definition that the state is unable to provide security for its citizens and that the government is abducted by corrupt, criminal and illegal operations and governance.

I see you like Thailand. me too. Its very nice here and full of friendly people.

Where are you from? AMERICA?

"the authorities are basically special ed kids being asked to do university level homework." A very apt description.

If there was a major terrorist attack in Thailand - targeting citizens of the USA and / or Israel, - I think that a possible response of the Thai Government would be to consider removing the cause of the problem.

They could try to remove the terrorist infiltration - which would be very difficult, - or they may consider banning citizens of the USA and Israel from entering Thailand. Sure, they would lose the tourist dollars, - but they could say to the rest of the world that Thailand is safer because there are no more targets for the terrorists.

I am saying this 'tongue in cheek'. But, Given what I have seen - of the Thai solutions to dealing with many other matters, - it would not surprise me at all, - if the Government gave consideration to that option.

If there was a major terrorist attack in Thailand - targeting citizens of the USA and / or Israel, - I think that a possible response of the Thai Government would be to consider removing the cause of the problem.

They could try to remove the terrorist infiltration - which would be very difficult, - or they may consider banning citizens of the USA and Israel from entering Thailand. Sure, they would lose the tourist dollars, - but they could say to the rest of the world that Thailand is safer because there are no more targets for the terrorists.

I am saying this 'tongue in cheek'. But, Given what I have seen - of the Thai solutions to dealing with many other matters, - it would not surprise me at all, - if the Government gave consideration to that option.

I said something similar here............

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4985714

No so much that they would deny entry but they could consider the cost to themselves & adjust accordingly.

Edited by flying

They never had to deal with this type of terror situation?

How about dealing with it on a daily base for the past 5 years or so in the south?

100% agreed.

IMO, the problems in the south of Thailand is not a Terrorist movement - only terrorist "tactics".

The southern 'movement' is for these provinces to secede from Thailand all together and become a new Muslim-controlled nation.

The "tactics" (in the south) are only labeled as 'terrorist' in that they are carried out by chicken-sheets who cannot even agree with themselves enough to form anything close to a recognized militia and take a stand.