Holiday Advice For A Couple With Children

snamos

Ive got a friend (yes I know its hard to believe!)who is 42 with a wife of around 40 and 2 girls aged 10 and 12 who are looking to travel to Phuket for the first time.

My friend is not short of money but does like a bargain also. He has also stipulated under no circumstances does he want his girls to see any of the islands bars or sex tourist areas. I thought Kata beach would be the most central sort of area and not much sex terrorism there if you stay in the right area. Also I reckon April is the best time....especially with songkran day.

So my questions are:

Where to get a decent hotel in Kata? Possibly a 2 bedroom joint, overlooking the beach (if possible) for around 3000-6000 baht a night in April. Staying for a week minimum

What are some good things to do for an Australian family with children that age?

What would be the best transport arrangements? (hire a driver for a week or something?)

I would think at that time of year (low season, or, at least on the cusp), you could get something at the Karon Beach Resort or Kata Beach resort, in that price range. Both right on the beach.

I was going to say try Orchid resort in Karon, as they have a great pool for kids, but there are too many girly bars nearby perhaps.

Keep in mind April is the hottest month.

But, if they are Ozzie's, they probably won't mind.

Kata beach resort, is good, great location,good hotel, great beach,easy walking distance for many restaurents etc..book earrly if,its April,they want to come,also have many other hotels around the Boathouse area..no girly bars around those areas.

<p>Even in Kata, difficult to avoid exposure to that which he doesn't wish to see.   My recommendation would be the Westin Siray Bay Resort and Spa, just outside Phuket Town/City on the east coast.   Great location and beach, with fabulous views of the islands.   Well placed for getting to the various piers and exploring Phang Nga bay, plus looking around Phuket Town/City.    Not cheap, but a range of accommodation options, particularly for families.</p>

<h1 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 20px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1em; color: rgb(107, 107, 107); text-transform: uppercase; font-family: Georgia, sans-serif; width: 547px; text-align: left; visibility: visible; ">

</h1>

^

Don't know what happened to my post above, but the intended text was:

Even in Kata, difficult to avoid that which he doesn't wish to see. My recommendation would be the Westin Siray Bay Resort and Spa, just outside Phuket Town/City on the east coast. Great location and beach with fabulous views of the islands. Well placed for getting to the various piers and exploring Phang Nga Bay, plus looking around Phuket Town/City. Not cheap, but a range of accommodation options particularly for families. Another potential choice is the Cape Panwa Hotel near the Aquarium.

Karon Beach,. The girls will like the sand quality and the bazaar. Sorry, but no matter where one goes one will always see the pervs. Karon is more family oriented. The Centara resort may prove just the ticket as it is a secure big compound with nice pools and within walking distance to the beach. Also, it is in the price range. I stayed there a few days just a couple years ago and mostly families. . And years ago I stayed at the Arcadia back when I was trying to find a rental in Karon. Now a bit pricey. No scarey sights although one has to cross the busy road to get to the beach.

A decent assortment of affordable dining too. Short ride into Patong to visit Jungceylon for a movie or bowling, or maybe a visit to one of the many pimple popping places. (Don't laugh, I had a facial at one of them.)

Either that or stay in the Laguna area with all of the old people playing golf. (I really liked the old Dusit Laguna, but its not a Dusit anymore). No one bothers you on the beach.

I'd hesitate to recommend Karon (or anywhere on the west coast for that matter) during the south west monsoon season (April - September) and the resultant rip tides that cause so many tragic deaths (particularly at Karon Beach).

We stayed at Orchidacea... mainly because the price was right, which might not be important to your mate... aside from it being a walk to the beach, I thought it a good place for a family... the walk to the beach doesn't take you past any 'girlie' bars...

They screwed up our booking, where I had told them the booking was 2 rooms for 5 people, but once we arrived, they charged us for the extra bed... I think this is a common problem in Thailand, where they don't make the connection between people, but instead focus on room rates...

Dealing direct with the resort we got a better rate than the Internet (once I knew the Internet rate)...

I love Songkran, but during Songkran there is only one thing to do, len naam... I wouldn't come with the family with a view to doing any tourist stuff, because it just isn't possible... I won't drive during Songkran (to see any natural attractions) due to other drunk drivers, and all the tourist attractions will be closed...

There are lots of reasons why there is a peak tourist season, and it isn't just because it aligns with Christmas and the European winter...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Any popular tourist resort will not suit your friend.... for obvious reasons!

They would be far better off looking at resorts on the Northern part of the island. As far as I know (and must admit I haven't stayed there for a number of years), they are still far less popular (i.e. the 'young crowd' don't go there), therefore have far less 'bars' catering to those looking for something more than just a drink....

Kata/Karon - forget it! I took visiting friends there (showing them the beautiful coastal road) and they were horrified by the actual resorts.

Hi Samos,

My family stayed at a Kata beachfront Hotel in August. We liked it so much that we're going again April 2011. You're right about it being ceedy free.

Beautiful clear water and surf at north and south Kata beach.

southkata.jpg

Photos of Phuket

Beware of the dangers at Kata beach

Zoom into Kata beach on www.mapthailand.info

From Kata Beach we went 2 hours north by bus from Phuket City, over the Sarasin Bridge, to Khao Lak which is VERY peaceful and VERY family friendly. You can see my wife and baby in my

Hi Samos,

My family stayed at a Kata beachfront Hotel in August. We liked it so much that we're going again April 2011. You're right about it being ceedy free.

Beautiful clear water and surf at north and south Kata beach.

southkata.jpg

Photos of Phuket

Beware of the dangers at Kata beach

Zoom into Kata beach on www.mapthailand.info

From Kata Beach we went 2 hours north by bus from Phuket City, over the Sarasin Bridge, to Khao Lak which is VERY peaceful and VERY family friendly. You can see my wife and baby in my

This is not the Kata beachfront that anyone would recognise! Quite apart from anything else - where is the beach in your photo??

Last time I visited Khao Lak, it was getting as bad as Patong. But I'm sure there are still areas on the outskirts of Khao Lak that are still quiet.

Thanks for the advice, I will sift through some of the suggestions. I do like the idea of them staying around the Momtris Boathouse area or even Kata Noi. Im limited with my internet connections due to my location at the moment, but I do appreciate the tips

Too many of the replies always focus on the negative side. Kata beach is a very good location! No more sexy than copacabana. I recommend the Kata Beach Resort right on the beachfront and close to shopping area. Nobody actually mentioned the Dino park which I believe is great to do with children. It's a mini golf center decorated in a jurassic era with dinos all around. It's between Kata and Karon. My son loves it.

Too many of the replies always focus on the negative side. Kata beach is a very good location! No more sexy than copacabana. I recommend the Kata Beach Resort right on the beachfront and close to shopping area. Nobody actually mentioned the Dino park which I believe is great to do with children. It's a mini golf center decorated in a jurassic era with dinos all around. It's between Kata and Karon. My son loves it.

But, one of the OP's criteria is " He has also stipulated under no circumstances does he want his girls to see any of the islands bars or sex tourist areas".

There are one hell of a lot of 'bars' in Kata and it is not that much different to Patong....just smaller and not as famous.

He would definitely be better off in quiet, Northern Phuket if he hopes to avoid that sort of thing.

Dino park is priced as much as a regular golf course in florida.

Dont understand why people give them business. Crooks.

Each time I've visited Dino Park it has been unbearably hot!!

I would again suggest Karon/Kata. Lots of nice resorts, beaches are nice and avoidable girly bars