Old Pink Paper Licence Still Ok For Uk?

Boycie

Will be visiting England, in the next few months and most probably hiring or borrowing a friends car.

I've still got the old pink paper licence. Haven't upgraded to the Photo Driving Licence, because i've been away from the UK for a long time.

With regards the car hire company or if i got stopped by the police, could i show the old pink paper licence or even my 5 year Thai licence?

Just wondering if it's worth picking up an IDP whilst i'm in Bangkok on Friday. I take it the IDP has a photo attached and would be ok to use whilst in the UK?

many thanks in advance

Boycie

If the paper is from 'Delboy no probs.My UK licence is no good now the photograph is to old £20/25 to have a new one put on the licence, I can't see me doing that,you can use your Thailand driving licence in the UK,same as UK can be used in Thailand.

Thai Licence is okay to use in the UK, I used mine to hire at Heathrow, but if you are staying longer than 6 months (I seem to remember) then you should use your UK one.

The UK one is still valid, but officers might ask you a lot of questions if you get stopped.

Thai Licence is okay to use in the UK, I used mine to hire at Heathrow, but if you are staying longer than 6 months (I seem to remember) then you should use your UK one.

The UK one is still valid, but officers might ask you a lot of questions if you get stopped.

Right and if you still have access to your UK postal address as I do, you can change your old UK paper one for the new photo card one free of charge.

Be careful with the UK one if you have been out more than 2 years I may be wrong but remember something about it not being valid.

Edited by Kwasaki

Right and if you still have access to your UK postal address as I do, you can change your old UK paper one for the new photo card one free of charge.

I had a look at that Kwasaki and it said it would be £20

http://www.direct.go...ence/DG_4022084

Many thanks for all the replies, you've saved me a trip and expense of getting an IDP.

I'll stick with my Thai and UK Pink Paper Licences.

Boyciewai.gif

I had a look at that Kwasaki and it said it would be £20

http://www.direct.go...ence/DG_4022084

Many thanks for all the replies, you've saved me a trip and expense of getting an IDP.

I'll stick with my Thai and UK Pink Paper Licences.

Boyciewai.gif

How times change for a government to grab £20.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki