Silom Dhl Offer Only One Way Service ?

We went to Silom DHL office yesterday, while in Bangkok for medical checks, to send off my UK passport renewal form. The girl in the office did all the paperwork, and then charged me 639 baht. As I'd read on here the price was over 1000 baht, I asked why it was so 'cheap". "We only send one way", was the reply. "The British Consulate in Hong Kong does not like the way we deliver in Thailand, so we can only offer a one way service", I said that I'd read on here that people had recently used DHl with no reported problems. "This just happen", she replied. "So how do I get my new passport back", I asked. "You must telephone Hong Kong and arrange with them", was the answer. I didn't post the form, I've tried contacting Embassies before, it's like "Mission Impossible".

Unfortunately due to time restrictions, I had to have a lot of medical tests which took most of the day, and I did not have time to try any other DHL offices in Bangkok.

So, my questions are

Is it correct what this girl told me, that the "service" is one way only.

Can I use Thai Post EMS International service instead, (my health is not good, and I need another trip to Bangkok like I need another hole in the head). I live in Phetchabun, we set off at 4a.m. and got home at 11.30 p.m.

Have I got something tattooed on my forehead that others can see, but I can't when I look in the mirror ?

(Politeness and forum rules prevent me from saying what is written there).

Thanks for any help / advice.

A number of people have reported sending their applications via EMS, or the International equivalent, without problem. Don't forget you are only send the application and a passport copy, so I would wonder what, if any, documents Hong Kong would need to send back.

The passports are sent from the UK so I doubt very much if the Hong Kong manager would have any say as to how your passport is dispatched, I believe you have to pay about twenty quid for the IPS to send your passport, via DHL, from the UK.

I suspect the person in DHL in Silom didn't really know how to answer you, so made something up.

A number of people have reported sending their applications via EMS, or the International equivalent, without problem. Don't forget you are only send the application and a passport copy, so I would wonder what, if any, documents Hong Kong would need to send back.

The passports are sent from the UK so I doubt very much if the Hong Kong manager would have any say as to how your passport is dispatched, I believe you have to pay about twenty quid for the IPS to send your passport, via DHL, from the UK.

I suspect the person in DHL in Silom didn't really know how to answer you, so made something up.

Thanks for your reply., much appreciated. Although the girl spoke quite good English, I did suspect she didn't really know how to explain how things worked to me. We're going to try EMS on Monday, fingers crossed !!

I sent my passport renewal form to Hong Kong via DHL in Chiang Mai last week and the cost was 639 baht. I am informed looking at my bank statement that the Consul-General deducted enough from my credit card to cover the cost of the new passport and the cost of sending it to the UK and returning the passport back to me in Chiang Mai. I think the amount deducted was 9100 baht when the cost of the new 48 page passport is around 7500 baht so l am assuming that this included all shipping costs

Thanks techno, I think that was the sum the girl quoted me at Silom. hopefully everything will all go through with EMS OK. I suspect that I was stressed due to the upcoming hospital tests, and perhaps I didn't understand properly. I have to say the whole renewal thing has been a nightmare, we had difficulty finding a photographer with the specified background colour for the photos, (only light grey or cream are acceptable), plus the form MUST be filled out with a black ballpoint pen - we searched every shop in Phetchabun for one, they only sell fibre tipped pens, so I ended up completing the form in a cafe in the centre where the DHL office was - absolute nightmare !