Thai Tourism Agencies Eye March On US Embassy Over Terror Warning

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand, IMO, has always taken the course of least resistance. Their goal is the protection of themselves (nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it can be short sighted). Each year the Thai gov't attends one of the big Islamic Conferences. There goal seems to be to keep any and all international intervention--by any group out of the Southern situation. Recognizing Palestine helps keep the Arab world off their back. Not doing so may have more adverse consequences.

The same principle seems to apply to the embassy warning. If it goes away, so will all the problems associated with it.

Great so now according you no more killing in the South The very rich stupid farangs on this site might agree with you. But I think the Moslems in the South think yoiu are a fool

Time will tell

this link provides a list of recent southern province terrorist attacks

http://www.thailandn...=8&s=bomb+shoot

Edited by z12

The longer I stay here, the more I'm inclined to believe that the government here really does not care about me as a foreigner. I don't not feel confident that I will be protected in any meaningful way if some threat to my safety were to present itself here. I thought Thailand was a recently industrialized, modern country... It's sad to live here and realize (deeply) these things. The government and the whole of the population (on average) doesn't seem to really want us here ... (another topic but related).

Actually there are many foriegners , particularly older ones, who visit Thialnd a couple of times as a tourist and only see a brief glimpse of one side of the country and then decide , Hey I'd like to live/retire here not really knowing the "real" country, the way it's governed, the way people think about their country and foreigners, Little do they know what they have come into

The longer I stay here, the more I'm inclined to believe that the government here really does not care about me as a foreigner. I don't not feel confident that I will be protected in any meaningful way if some threat to my safety were to present itself here. I thought Thailand was a recently industrialized, modern country... It's sad to live here and realize (deeply) these things. The government and the whole of the population (on average) doesn't seem to really want us here ... (another topic but related).

Actually there are many foriegners , particularly older ones, who visit Thialnd a couple of times as a tourist and only see a brief glimpse of one side of the country and then decide , Hey I'd like to live/retire here not really knowing the "real" country, the way it's governed, the way people think about their country and foreigners, Little do they know what they have come into

I agree, and I think that is part of the reason so many expats here end up pretty jaded and rather quickly. At least, it appears to be the case. Thailand does a really first class job in the tourism industry in that you feel wonderful, cared for, even important here while being a tourist. So many smiling faces. It's when you stop spending money freely and move here permanently that you began to understand JUST how good the tourism industry is at masking or avoiding the truth of matters here. It's like two different countries almost.

EDIT

One of the things I notice is that typically immigrants from various countries care for and support each other. The Chinese are probably the best example here in Thailand of this type of arrangement. Many here probably know that the Chinese here in Thailand went through decades of discrimination which even became part of the legal code at one point. They fought through it, and look where they are now. They run the country from the TOP all the way down. My wife whose family is essentially half (Thai) Chinese even notices that the Chinese side of the family is just a bit removed from the full Thai side. Not in a bad way as the family is very close, but she says it's a perceptible difference in how the Chinese side of the family treats other Chinese immigrants in the family and how the interact with the other side.

Anyway, that is something that we westerners don't really do at all. It's our nature to be independent; it's what we were taught, and it's something that makes us proud. Unfortunately, it's also something that keeps us weak and divided here in a foreign country where we are *tolerated but not very *welcomed. Anyway, I don't think it is possible to be changed anytime soon. We English speaking westerners don't even like the way each other speak English! wacko.png

Edited by ThailandMan

Wow, I should work for Stratfor. I had the same analysis of the situation when it broke. This issue is really about a potential Iranian reprisal for the targeted assassination of their scientist.

America is sadly Isreal's proxy.

I would honestly be surprised if chatter indicated that American's are specifically a target simply because we are so few in numbers. Best one could do is blow up a restaurant owned and frequented by Americans. Even a bomb outside the embassy would net few if any causalities.

When the story broke I immediately thought of the most annoying and ugly tourists in Thailand. The Isreali's. While it is next to impossible to target Americans, it is VERY easy to target this lot. My thoughts went quickly to KSR road Isreali's own a few restaurant cum GHs and a few other cultural places frequented by this lot (Stratfor mentions these well known places by name).

This announcement is really bullshit - it's a big untruth. I am absolutely positive that if there was going to be any terrorist attack, that it would be directed at the KSR area in general and toward the Isreali's in particular.

My first thought was what took them so long?

Hezbollah is a proxy for Iran. Iran has relatively decent relations with Thailand. Iran has (had) no reason to blow up Thailand. Finally, Iranians are not a bunch of blowhard Arabs. They are analytical people, their foreign policy is largely very controlled and mindful. They have full control of their would-be terror network.

If this is Hezbollah it means orders came down from Iran. Then we must ask why now and not last year or five years ago? Isreal is using the US as a proxy to eliminate what it perceives as a threat to itself - potential nuclear weaponry.

Edited by bangkokburning

Wow, Thailand is promoting Terrorist Tourism and welcomes terrorist business in Thailand.

What kind of visa does Thailand issue to terrorists to conduct business in Thailand?

Maybe other farangs would like such a visa as well.

That would be the non-immigrant type "B" for bomb-making visa. A new visa type "T" is in the works and will be available as soon as the Terrorist training camps are up and running.

A mob of hotheads from tourist agencies threatening to storm the US embassy. I'm sure that will do a lot to relieve the impression of Thailand as a dangerous place for American visitors. Just how big of a caliber do these people want to use in order to shoot themselves in the foot?

They've moved past shooting themselves in the foot.

hand-gun.jpg

Likely they will take VERY close aim.

Edited by animatic