Chillies

thaipod

Just been out to dinner where I had a friend who said he loved to eat chillies , so my wife went shopping and made a variety of curries and thai tradional salads some were med hot to very hot , the guy neally passed out when he tried the super hot . don't know what the scovelle scale was ,but some of the thai clilliies are hot .

So what thai dishes really give you a jolt .How hot can you take it . I've been here a long time but still cannot take it hot

My wife grew up with Isaan maids and parents too busy working to notice the spicy food she was always eating...

Consequently food that brings tears to my eyes doesn't even give her the sniffles....

Back in the UK over Christmas we had a curry (IMO curries in the UK are excellent). My Wife ordered a *Phaal.... The Chef and several waiters repeatedly came out to ask if all was ok, my wife was fine and hardly blinked at the spicy dish. I on the other hand (who enjoys spicy food) after tasting a bit used up numerous tissues and continued to sweat profusely and also from areas I'd previously never perspired before such as my eyelids and inside my ears !!!!

The hottest food I ever had in Thailand is Gaeng-Som in Hat-Ya... I was on iced water for nearly an hour after the delayed reaction of a few spoons of that soup hit me.

*A Phaal (fahl) is an Indian curry, much hotter than a vindaloo and re-invented for the British pisshead who after 10 pints has decided he is invincible !!! The Phaal has become known as the 'hottest Indian curry'

My wife grew up with Isaan maids and parents too busy working to notice the spicy food she was always eating...

Consequently food that brings tears to my eyes doesn't even give her the sniffles....

Back in the UK over Christmas we had a curry (IMO curries in the UK are excellent). My Wife ordered a *Phaal.... The Chef and several waiters repeatedly came out to ask if all was ok, my wife was fine and hardly blinked at the spicy dish. I on the other hand (who enjoys spicy food) after tasting a bit used up numerous tissues and continued to sweat profusely and also from areas I'd previously never perspired before such as my eyelids and inside my ears !!!!

The hottest food I ever had in Thailand is Gaeng-Som in Hat-Ya... I was on iced water for nearly an hour after the delayed reaction of a few spoons of that soup hit me.

*A Phaal (fahl) is an Indian curry, much hotter than a vindaloo and re-invented for the British pisshead who after 10 pints has decided he is invincible !!! The Phaal has become known as the 'hottest Indian curry'

At last! Someone who knows his Phaal. Or 'Phal' in some excellent north London Indian places!

Why doesn't some enterprising restauranteur have a contest. I once won one (with a Phal!) in West Hampstead, at a restaurant next door to a fire station!!

Come on - let's have a challenge. I'll take you all on.

And, OP, at the risk of being both pedantic and accurate, I think you meant: How hot are the chillies you can eat? Yes?

i love spicy food. if it aint spicy, then i dont like it too much.

however i hate it when i cut up my chillies and forget to wash my hands afterwards.

after eating my curry, i will rub my eyes or maybe scratch my nads and then it starts.

mouth on fire, eyes on fire and balls on fire. nothing i can do but just sit there and let the wife laugh at me..........again. goes away in about 5 minutes but boy does it burn. licklips.gif

Edited by thequietman

i love spicy food. if it aint spicy, then i dont like it too much

Have you tried using fresh ingredients in your food? I've noticed that many farangs here in Thailand love the spicy food. The food normally served in restaurants is not really "spicy". Try to eat something in a small village, where they use "not so fresh" ingredients and they have to "spice it up" to get rid of the stale taste. That's what i'd call spicy. smile.png

Water is not a good idea - unless you appreciate the extra heat.

Milk based products such as, well, milk, yoghurt, ice cream... are better options

Easter Show in Sydney last year saw the release of a chilli sauce made with the Trinidad Scorpion. Theoretically, the chilli is 150% hotter that the Bhut Jolokia. It has a lovely flavour & one hell of a sting.

It's now a constant additive to pasta & pizza sauces. We also grow them now.

I also eat hotter chilli than TW. Occasionally she wil treat me to 'chilli surprise' sandwiches for work. This is usally a meat/cheese/tomato sandwich with whole bird's eye chillis in there *somewhere*. The surprise is when I find it.

Better is when I am VERY generous & share my lunch... biggrin.png

Edited by pgs

Have you tried using fresh ingredients in your food? I've noticed that many farangs here in Thailand love the spicy food. The food normally served in restaurants is not really "spicy". Try to eat something in a small village, where they use "not so fresh" ingredients and they have to "spice it up" to get rid of the stale taste. That's what i'd call spicy. smile.png

I can eat food containing most of the common thai peppers, the red, green and black ones. I enjoy them up to a point. I prefer the small dried red peppers.

My wife once brought home some peppers she called "indian peppers". They were very small and very purple. She seemed a little afraid of them which was surprising to me.

She heated a pan with a small amount of oil and tossed a couple of these purple peppers in with a small fish. Within about a minute or two the whole house was filled with what I can only describe as tear-gas. The vapors burned my eyes, mouth, throat and nose and I ended up evacuating the house for the evening. I have an idea now what it must feel like to be "pepper sprayed".

I don't see it mentioned, and it's a serious inquiry. I can handle some of the chilis going down (on a farang scale, more than a tourist, but less than a real longtime expat or anyone that likes a good curry like my dad),but I have a problem with it coming out. It burns something awful. Because of the chemical composition and the nature of the mucous membranes in that region, the pain lingers a lot longer than in my mouth. What do you do to relieve yourself?

And I am sort of relieved to know that I'm not the only one to rub my eyes and suffer the consequences. The stuff still liners even after I wash my hands.

I don't see it mentioned, and it's a serious inquiry. I can handle some of the chilis going down (on a farang scale, more than a tourist, but less than a real longtime expat or anyone that likes a good curry like my dad),but I have a problem with it coming out. It burns something awful. Because of the chemical composition and the nature of the mucous membranes in that region, the pain lingers a lot longer than in my mouth. What do you do to relieve yourself?

And I am sort of relieved to know that I'm not the only one to rub my eyes and suffer the consequences. The stuff still liners even after I wash my hands.

drink milk or have joghurt first.

Because of the chemical composition and the nature of the mucous membranes in that region, the pain lingers a lot longer than in my mouth. What do you do to relieve yourself?

I dont have that problem but for those who do PreparationH is a local anaesthetic that does the trick. Best applied at least 15 minutes beforehand. Other brands are available.

Because of the chemical composition and the nature of the mucous membranes in that region, the pain lingers a lot longer than in my mouth. What do you do to relieve yourself?

I dont have that problem but for those who do PreparationH is a local anaesthetic that does the trick. Best applied at least 15 minutes beforehand. Other brands are available.

Another trick would be to just skip the chillies. Why would anyone eat something that causes discomfort to the body? unsure.png

Water is not a good idea - unless you appreciate the extra heat.

Milk based products such as, well, milk, yoghurt, ice cream... are better options

Easter Show in Sydney last year saw the release of a chilli sauce made with the Trinidad Scorpion. Theoretically, the chilli is 150% hotter that the Bhut Jolokia. It has a lovely flavour & one hell of a sting.

It's now a constant additive to pasta & pizza sauces. We also grow them now.

I also eat hotter chilli than TW. Occasionally she wil treat me to 'chilli surprise' sandwiches for work. This is usally a meat/cheese/tomato sandwich with whole bird's eye chillis in there *somewhere*. The surprise is when I find it.

Better is when I am VERY generous & share my lunch... biggrin.png

A small spoonful of boiled or steamed rice will also take away most of the pain immediately.

I hear you loud and clear! I can eat jalapenoes to a band playing - I really enjoy the heat & pain of eating chillies but its the morning after that is the killer - gawd!

It is better here though where you can use a bum gun!

Really? How do you work that one out?

Another trick would be to just skip the chillies. Why would anyone eat something that causes discomfort to the body?

It's just one of those things where the initial pleasure outweighs the later pain.

Why do people drink/drug themselves? Same reason, I suppose.

Though if it caused me any pain I would perhaps think twice about doing it. Luckily I dont have that problem.

I had lunch a few weeks ago with an interesting chap, and the subject came round to food and chillies. I was saying how my tolerance had leap frogged considerably and I too like a lot of the posters can now whack back a phal without too much effort. He then said he had decided not to eat Chillies at all as they are killing the taste buds, and as such, what is the point of having spice and dulling down flavour? It then dawned on me that a few days before making a white cheese sauce, I had to ask the GF to taste it for me because I could not taste the cheese in it. In the last few weeks I have eaten my food as it came resisting the instinct to shove move chillies on it, and low and behold, I am able to actually taste things better (rotten pork in the food halls is very noticeable!)

He then said he had decided not to eat Chillies at all as they are killing the taste buds, and as such, what is the point of having spice and dulling down flavour?

I had always thought this. Too many chillies all the time cannot be good for the taste buds. I think that people just get used to them, or their body craves them (maybe a mental thing?) so they get piled onto the food. Chillies used sparingly should give the food that little extra zing which complements the other flavors. I have seen parents giving 2/3 year-olds chillies to get them somewhat indoctrinated into the chillies first way of eating.

Another trick would be to just skip the chillies. Why would anyone eat something that causes discomfort to the body? unsure.png

1] Fashionable?

2] Real men don't want to appear to be pussies?

3] Different cultural experiences?

Probably speaking from city slicker imagination as to what village life might entail.

Another trick would be to just skip the chillies. Why would anyone eat something that causes discomfort to the body?

It's just one of those things where the initial pleasure outweighs the later pain.

Though if it caused me any pain I would perhaps think twice about doing it. Luckily I dont have that problem.

Eating hot chillies causes the brain to release endorphins. As the brain develops a tolerance to capsaicin you need to eat more to get your rush. This is the reason for the ever larger doses of chilli in your food.

Eating hot chillies causes the brain to release endorphins. As the brain develops a tolerance to capsaicin you need to eat more to get your rush. This is the reason for the ever larger doses of chilli in your food.

Keeps Mrs. zzaa09 always amorous....wub.png

Probably speaking from city slicker imagination as to what village life might entail.

Still cant work that out biggrin.png