I'D Say Thai Monks Are Relatively Better Of Than Indian Monks.

rockyysdt

Whilst reading the 227 precepts which Monks are required to keep I stumbled across an interesting one.

• If a monk is living in the middle provinces of India, he may wash himself once every fifteen days. If he does so within fifteen days, except at times as it is necessary, it is a pacittiya.

In a border countries such as Siam, it is not an offense to wash at any time.

Perhaps one of the positive aspects of the Thai Sangha's interpretation of Dharma.

I don't think I could survive without daily bathing.

Why so draconian?

Edited by rockyysdt

The better to remind the monk of the suffering of others, and to take the monks mind off of caring for himself. This could become a form of self indulgence which would be wrong. It gives the monk more time for meditation which is the purpose he is in the Monk hood for in the first place. In allowing more bathing when in border countries I can only imagine that the effort of traveling in less advanced areas would subject the monk to other bites, cuts and stings which if not cleaned would endanger the monks life or health. Most of the precepts have very logical reasons behind them but it takes some mental gymnastics to get your mind where theirs was.

Went into my bank in Baan Amphur this week. Impossible to get served. Four employees (including manager) scurrying about looking after a monk and his boy. The counter was covered in baht notes of every denomination - probably to a depth of fifteen inches across maybe five feet.

So I agree Thai monks seem richer than Indian ones.

Went into my bank in Baan Amphur this week. Impossible to get served. Four employees (including manager) scurrying about looking after a monk and his boy. The counter was covered in baht notes of every denomination - probably to a depth of fifteen inches across maybe five feet.

Quite possibly this was the abbot and he was making a deposit after some big celebration of some sort at the temple. Most monks I know don't have enough money to buy a 12 baht coke.

Quite possibly this was the abbot and he was making a deposit after some big celebration of some sort at the temple. Most monks I know don't have enough money to buy a 12 baht coke.

Thanks for this, Khaowong1.

Luang Pho Kumjon, my Kalyanmitra, just came back form the "monks jail" near Bangkok.

Normally the jail must be full with monks who broke the vinaya. No. He met his old friends who broke

secondary rules of the vinaya (bargain for the benefit of the Wat with thai officials, open speech to condem

political misuse of their local lay sangha).

Interesting. I haven't heard of this 'monks jail' near Bangkok. Could you supply more detail?