Bird Shows

stoneyboy

Just last week I had the pleasure of attending my first Thai bird show,and what a show it was,those caged birds were singing and whistling like I've never seen before,problem is I don't know what all the fuss was about,was it the continued chirping and singing that spured the owners and spectators on or was it the mad hopping from perch to perch,it truly was a special occasion,and one I highly recommend to those who have not seen.

Any further info is highly appreciated.

Sorry I find caged birds appalling.

I dunno, I saw some "birds" with poles in their cages and they were earning big bucks.

But, as far as "wildlife" is concerned I'd also rather see it in nature... even if it's only a quick peek.

Ian,

There are three kinds of bird shows

1. Best voice. Bird with the nicest voice wins.

2. Fighting. Bird who wants to "fight" the most. This is determined by a specific song that the birds sing. The bird who sings this song the most wins. There is no actual bird fighting.

3. Best voice combined with the "fighting song"

My husband is obsessed with birds...which is how I know. We had one bird that was a big winner. He sold it before we moved to Canada for 9000 baht, now it is worth more then 30,000. This is determined on how much money people will offer to buy the bird for. The current owner has refused several offers for 30,000. These birds can be worth much more then this too, but usually go for 3-5000 baht when it is unknown how well they will do in shows. The guys who train these birds to go to shows are very dedicated to them and spend hours upon hours with them every day. watching them, showering them, teaching them how to "fight"/sing, taking them over to their friends houses for bird play dates etc.

My neighbor raises several of these birds and like you say he dotes on these birds all day, every day. For me I find the "singing" as pretty bland. Much to do about not much IMHO. Kinda like Thai waterfalls... These birds do look kinda cool, just can't behind the "songbird" aspect. Give me a parrot that can swear any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Birds do not belong in cages.

Oh!, that's why not much birds can be seen in nature here...

Oh! On the contrary - I'm assuming that you've never left your four walls?

We've scores of birds of every description year-round.

I'm still coming across feathered creatures for the first time.

The variety and abundance is staggering......one just has to be observant.