Australia V New Zealand Odi

Old Croc

Australia batted first at Eden Park and made 8/252 on a slow pitch.

New Zealand were all out for 105! With Cairns, 37 no, the only batsman to perform. Lee had figures of 3/5 from six overs and Stewart Clark 3/19.

At least Oz can still beat the Kiwis at something! :o

New Zealand were all out for 105! With Cairns, 37 no, the only batsman to perform.  Lee had figures of 3/5 from six overs and Stewart Clark 3/19.

Can't argue with that one Croc.Well done!

New Zealand were all out for 105! With Cairns, 37 no, the only batsman to perform.  Lee had figures of 3/5 from six overs and Stewart Clark 3/19.

Not bad for a team of old age pensioners and has beens :D

Being sarcastic in case Lamp post reads this :D

Cause I'm reading it, although I think your mixing me up with someone that gives a <deleted>.

:o

At least Oz can still beat the Kiwis at something! :D

Cause I'm reading it, although I think your mixing me up with someone that gives a <deleted>.

:D ohhh Lampard ( sh#t for brains), u would give a f#ck, if Australia had lost....

:o:D

Cricket: Lee scares life out of the Black Caps

04.12.05 8.55am UPDATE

By Dylan Cleaver

Zeus swooped down from his temporary lair on Mount Eden yesterday, hurling lightning bolts at 22 yards and sending small children armed only with flimsy willow clubs scurrying back to their sheds. Only this Zeus stood less than six-feet tall and wore a blond mane that told of a life spent near Australia's famed beaches rather than Olympia.

Brett Lee had the lightning bit sussed, continuing his complete mastery over New Zealand's top order yesterday, claiming three wickets for five runs - three of which were wides - in his opening spell. New Zealand, chasing a good, but not overwhelming, 252 were out of the match at 28-5 by the time Lee took a rest in the shadow of the terraces.

Asked whether he felt the Black Caps were scared of him, Lee said: "I wouldn't go that far." But it is abundantly clear he has a psychological hold over them.

In the end, New Zealand limped through to 105 to go 1-0 down in the three-match Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, posting their sixth lowest total in ODI cricket in the process.

As capitulations go, this was humiliating. The Marshall twins, Hamish and James, and Craig McMillan looked completely incapable of dealing with Lee. Lou Vincent and Scott Styris tried to make hay while facing the friendlier Nathan Bracken and perished to miscalculated attacking shots.

And Nathan Astle, who looked the soundest of the top order, loosened up upon the finish of Lee's spell and chipped out to Stuart Clark's third ball.

At 33-6 the terraces, which made up the majority of the 21,800-strong crowd, felt they had no option but to continue the sort of feral behaviour that keeps security busy. While pitch invasions remain a blight at Eden Park, it was no surprise many sought their own entertainment.

They weren't getting any from the Black Caps.

Dan Vettori played the gallant captain post-match, shielding his batsmen from too much blame.

"I'd probably put it down more to the way they bowled," he said. "Brett came in and bowled an exceptional spell and he was ably backed up by [Nathan]Bracken and [stuart] Clark. I think we got tied down by how well they bowled and our shots were a result of that."

Dress it up however you want, the New Zealand batting was schoolboy-ish, and that's a discredit to many first XIs.

Ricky Ponting summed it up nicely: "There'll be a few of their batsmen that wouldn't be overly happy with the way they were dismissed tonight," he said bluntly. "There were a few ugly ones there. I don't know what they're thinking, all I know is Brett's bowling well, he's bowling fast and he's going to be difficult to play against." '

Unfortunately New Zealand will not be able to return fire until Christchurch, with Shane Bond almost certainly ruled out of the second ODI in Wellington on Wednesday.

Lee was difficult to see coming out of the flimsy sightscreen at the ASB Stand end but he could have been bowling watermelons decked with bells and flashing lights and the top order would still have struggled to pick it up.

Only Christopher Cairns, not good enough for the tour of South Africa, showed the requisite fight.

New Zealand has now lost their last seven against Australia and their last five completed matches after the 0-4 rout in South Africa.

The drop-in wicket was not conducive to free-flowing strokeplay but neither was it a minefield. After all, Australia eked out 252.

In truth that was probably 30 runs more than they should have amassed, given that no batsman, except Ricky Ponting briefly, managed to master the conditions.

Ponting's was a curious knock. He came to the crease, got an awkward lifter early and seemed to decide: "I don't like the look of this much so let's get on with it."

He hit three sixes and five fours in his 63 runs and shared a 117-run partnership with Simon Katich (54).

After that there were robust cameos from Andrew Symonds (44), Michael Clarke (31) and, inevitably, Michael Hussey (22no) but not enough to make sure you'd never forget your day at the cricket.

New Zealand has few options, although Vettori hinted that Brendon McCullum could be used higher in the order. "There is scope to do something like that," he said.

Scoreboard:

Australia

A Gilchrist c Astle b Franklin 3

S Katich c Vettori b Styris 54

R Ponting lbw b Vettori 63

B Hodge b Styris 13

A Symonds b Vettori 44

M Clarke c Franklin b Cairns 31

M Hussey not out 21

B Lee b Cairns 0

B Hogg c Vettori b Mills 4

N Bracken not out 1

Extras (6lb, 3nb, 9w) 18

Total (for 8 wkts, 50 overs) 252

Fall: 4 (Gilchrist), 121 (Katich), 136 (Ponting), 148 (Hodge), 207 (Symonds), 230 (Clarke), 231 (Lee), 249 (Hogg).

Bowling: K Mills 10-1-35-1 (1w, 1nb), J Franklin 4-0-29-1, J Oram 7-0-54-0 (1w), C Cairns 9-0-54-2 (2nb, 1w), S Styris 10-0-45-2 (1w), D Vettori 10-1-29-2 (5w).

New Zealand

L Vincent b Bracken 4

N Astle c Clarke b Clark 14

H Marshall b Lee 5

S Styris c Clarke b Bracken 1

J Marshall lbw b Lee 1

C McMillan c Hussey b Lee 0

C Cairns not out 37

J Oram b Clark 23

B McCullum c White c Clark 2

D Vettori c Ponting b Symonds 8

J Franklin c Gilchrist b Symonds 0

Extras (4b, 1lb, 5w) 10

Total (for 10 wkts, 27.4 overs) 105

Fall: 5 (Vincent), 16 (H Marshall), 19 (Styris), 20 (J Marshall), 28 (McMillan), 33 (Astle), 74 (Oram), 82 (McCullum), 105 (Vettori), 105 (Franklin).

Bowling: B Lee 6-4-5-3 (3w), N Bracken 8-0-40-2 (1w), S Clark 7-1-19-3 (1w), A Symonds 5.4-1-32-2, C White 1-0-4-0.

Result: Australia won by 147 runs, lead three-match series 1-0.

The second match is in Wellington on Wednesday.

- HERALD ON SUNDAY, NZPA

Bunch of nancy boys.If our rugby players had the same attitude as these clowns...we would lose every game!

I suppose your tame Pom was man-of-the-match again :o

Cricket: Lee scares life out of the Black Caps

04.12.05 8.55am UPDATE

By Dylan Cleaver

Zeus swooped down from his temporary lair on Mount Eden yesterday, hurling lightning bolts at 22 yards and sending small children armed only with flimsy willow clubs scurrying back to their sheds. Only this Zeus stood less than six-feet tall and wore a blond mane that told of a life spent near Australia's famed beaches rather than Olympia.

Brett Lee had the lightning bit sussed, continuing his complete mastery over New Zealand's top order yesterday, claiming three wickets for five runs - three of which were wides - in his opening spell. New Zealand, chasing a good, but not overwhelming, 252 were out of the match at 28-5 by the time Lee took a rest in the shadow of the terraces.

Asked whether he felt the Black Caps were scared of him, Lee said: "I wouldn't go that far." But it is abundantly clear he has a psychological hold over them.

In the end, New Zealand limped through to 105 to go 1-0 down in the three-match Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, posting their sixth lowest total in ODI cricket in the process.

As capitulations go, this was humiliating. The Marshall twins, Hamish and James, and Craig McMillan looked completely incapable of dealing with Lee. Lou Vincent and Scott Styris tried to make hay while facing the friendlier Nathan Bracken and perished to miscalculated attacking shots.

And Nathan Astle, who looked the soundest of the top order, loosened up upon the finish of Lee's spell and chipped out to Stuart Clark's third ball.

At 33-6 the terraces, which made up the majority of the 21,800-strong crowd, felt they had no option but to continue the sort of feral behaviour that keeps security busy. While pitch invasions remain a blight at Eden Park, it was no surprise many sought their own entertainment.

They weren't getting any from the Black Caps.

Dan Vettori played the gallant captain post-match, shielding his batsmen from too much blame.

"I'd probably put it down more to the way they bowled," he said. "Brett came in and bowled an exceptional spell and he was ably backed up by [Nathan] Bracken and [stuart] Clark. I think we got tied down by how well they bowled and our shots were a result of that."

Dress it up however you want, the New Zealand batting was schoolboy-ish, and that's a discredit to many first XIs.

Ricky Ponting summed it up nicely: "There'll be a few of their batsmen that wouldn't be overly happy with the way they were dismissed tonight," he said bluntly. "There were a few ugly ones there. I don't know what they're thinking, all I know is Brett's bowling well, he's bowling fast and he's going to be difficult to play against." '

Unfortunately New Zealand will not be able to return fire until Christchurch, with Shane Bond almost certainly ruled out of the second ODI in Wellington on Wednesday.

Lee was difficult to see coming out of the flimsy sightscreen at the ASB Stand end but he could have been bowling watermelons decked with bells and flashing lights and the top order would still have struggled to pick it up.

Only Christopher Cairns, not good enough for the tour of South Africa, showed the requisite fight.

New Zealand has now lost their last seven against Australia and their last five completed matches after the 0-4 rout in South Africa.

The drop-in wicket was not conducive to free-flowing strokeplay but neither was it a minefield. After all, Australia eked out 252.

In truth that was probably 30 runs more than they should have amassed, given that no batsman, except Ricky Ponting briefly, managed to master the conditions.

Ponting's was a curious knock. He came to the crease, got an awkward lifter early and seemed to decide: "I don't like the look of this much so let's get on with it."

He hit three sixes and five fours in his 63 runs and shared a 117-run partnership with Simon Katich (54).

After that there were robust cameos from Andrew Symonds (44), Michael Clarke (31) and, inevitably, Michael Hussey (22no) but not enough to make sure you'd never forget your day at the cricket.

New Zealand has few options, although Vettori hinted that Brendon McCullum could be used higher in the order. "There is scope to do something like that," he said.

Scoreboard:

Australia

A Gilchrist c Astle b Franklin 3

S Katich c Vettori b Styris 54

R Ponting lbw b Vettori 63

B Hodge b Styris 13

A Symonds b Vettori 44

M Clarke c Franklin b Cairns 31

M Hussey not out 21

B Lee b Cairns 0

B Hogg c Vettori b Mills 4

N Bracken not out 1

Extras (6lb, 3nb, 9w) 18

Total (for 8 wkts, 50 overs) 252

Fall: 4 (Gilchrist), 121 (Katich), 136 (Ponting), 148 (Hodge), 207 (Symonds), 230 (Clarke), 231 (Lee), 249 (Hogg).

Bowling: K Mills 10-1-35-1 (1w, 1nb), J Franklin 4-0-29-1, J Oram 7-0-54-0 (1w), C Cairns 9-0-54-2 (2nb, 1w), S Styris 10-0-45-2 (1w), D Vettori 10-1-29-2 (5w).

New Zealand

L Vincent b Bracken 4

N Astle c Clarke b Clark 14

H Marshall b Lee 5

S Styris c Clarke b Bracken 1

J Marshall lbw b Lee 1

C McMillan c Hussey b Lee 0

C Cairns not out 37

J Oram b Clark 23

B McCullum c White c Clark 2

D Vettori c Ponting b Symonds 8

J Franklin c Gilchrist b Symonds 0

Extras (4b, 1lb, 5w) 10

Total (for 10 wkts, 27.4 overs) 105

Fall: 5 (Vincent), 16 (H Marshall), 19 (Styris), 20 (J Marshall), 28 (McMillan), 33 (Astle), 74 (Oram), 82 (McCullum), 105 (Vettori), 105 (Franklin).

Bowling: B Lee 6-4-5-3 (3w), N Bracken 8-0-40-2 (1w), S Clark 7-1-19-3 (1w), A Symonds 5.4-1-32-2, C White 1-0-4-0.

Result: Australia won by 147 runs, lead three-match series 1-0.

The second match is in Wellington on Wednesday.

- HERALD ON SUNDAY, NZPA

Bunch of nancy boys.If our rugby players had the same attitude as these clowns...we would lose every game!

Ahhh turning on ur own....shameful.....thats the norm for the English poster's......

If they had won..u would be bragging maak maak....shameful Chok.. :o

Ahhh turning on ur own....shameful.....thats the norm for the English poster's......

Complete <deleted>.Over the last 10 years, our cricketers have had a heart the size of yours....very small.I call it as I see it.Jeff Wilson the All Black winger started playing rep cricket in NZ.He couldn't believe the difference in attitude between the codes. I lost my rag with them about 7-8 years ago,when the coach tried to install some discipline and they revolted because they thought he was too tough....<deleted> babies.They piss me off.They are a bunch of precious little dorks.

Complete <deleted>.Over the last 10 years, our cricketers have had a heart the size of yours....very small.I call it as I see it.Jeff Wilson the All Black winger started playing rep cricket in NZ.He couldn't believe the difference in attitude between the codes. I lost my rag with them about 7-8 years ago,when the coach tried to install some discipline and they revolted because they thought he was too tough....<deleted> babies.They piss me off.They are a bunch of precious little dorks.

Shameful.....just shameful

I suppose your tame Pom was man-of-the-match again :o

Thought you didn't give a <deleted>

What are you talking about Chuchok? Jeff Wilson was the biggest showboat nancy boy ever to pull on a black guernsey. Nearly as pathetic as our current front row.

Not a great example of courage mate.

What are you talking about Chuchok? Jeff Wilson was the biggest showboat nancy boy ever to pull on a black guernsey. Nearly as pathetic as our current front row.

I didn't say he was a tough bugger...he did score a fair few tries though.Anyway, anybody with the numbers 9-15 on their back were a bunch primadona soft cocks :D

I didn't say he was a tough bugger...he did score a fair few tries though.Anyway, anybody with the numbers 9-15 on their back were a bunch primadona soft cocks :D

Good to hear mate. At least we can agrea on something. IMO Jeff Wilson was a reciever and didnt like the sound of foot steps too much.

In the second ODI Australia has just finished their innings at 4/322.

The score, and the fifth wicket partnership of 220 between Clarke and Symonds, broke many records.

(Pommie) Andrew Symonds scored 156 off 127 balls with 12 fours and 8 sixes. He went from 100 to 150 in just 16 balls :o Unfortunately he got out with just 2 balls remaining in the innings.

Clarke contributed a more sedate 82 n.o. from 77 balls.

The Kiwis are now looking forward to facing Brett Lee in their innings. :D

In the second ODI Australia has just finished their innings at 4/322.

The score, and the fifth wicket partnership of 220 between Clarke and Symonds, broke many records.

(Pommie) Andrew Symonds scored 156 off 127 balls with 12 fours and 8 sixes. He went from 100 to 150 in just 16 balls :o  Unfortunately he got out with just 2 balls remaining in the innings.

Clarke contributed a more sedate 82 n.o. from 77 balls.

The Kiwis are now looking forward to facing Brett Lee in their innings.  :D

What a game!

Chasing 322 the Kiwis were all out with 1 ball left for 320!

Needing 6 from the last over with 2 wickets in hand they lost both to runouts when they seemed to have the game in the bag.

Bogeyman Lee was smashed for 1/85.

For NZ opener Vincent hit 71 from 49 balls, Cairns 60 from 52, McCullum 48 from 33 and Oram 41 from 40. A good all round display.

New Zealand breaks world record!

In the 3rd ODI of the series Australia batted first and scored a seemingly unbeatable score of 7/331.

However, after appearing to be beaten several times during their innings, the Kiwis achieved the unthinkable by getting 8/332 with an over to spare! A new world record run chase. Congratulations NZ! :o