A Delicate Subject.

pop3

Not so much a new subject but one I feel has never realy been answerd, in the past it has never concerned me and have only read the topic's as a matter of interest but now as I have invested in a mp3 player I am in the market to download some music, I am a fish out of water in this department, as far as Im aware theres pay for downloads but many people download free at various sites, apart from the leagle aspect why should anybody want to pay for a download when it's avalible free, any info on a free site or it's downfall's would be of great interest, Thank you.

I pay for my music at allofmp3.com.

It's legal, yet only costs U$1.80 (approx) for an entire album - that's cheaper than buying a copy disc on the street.

Reliable downloads and no nasty spyware or trojans included

I gave up on p2p - no for legal reasons but because a) the services are flakey and :o I found it hard to find stuff I liked

The legal implications vary from country to country, from being legal, to being considered theft. I personally think that new stuff should be paid for, but your favouite oldies that you've bought previously in cd/cassette/lp/8track you've already paid for IMO.

For the record, I'd go with limewire, and the upgrade to pro is worth it. :o

cv

hi'

I use bitorrent to get a lot of things; Linux distro and documentaries and movies

but for music it's a different matter :o

I was and still is a musician, and i know how hard it is to be, just to get a sound

and get a name to make a careeer ....

movies, load millions to make it, get the money back mutiply by at least 3 and then sell dvd, they make a hudge amount of money and actors are well paid, so not one thought about legal or not, music is a different things, because it involves a lot of works

and a lot of courage to go on, no one is a rolling stones from one day to another!

all the music downloaded was just a lasy move , got the album, just didn't want to go through recording and correct every single track ... got them in mp3 in nice clean sound.

francois

Here is an excellent article on locating free legal music,

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/geek-to...-web-136578.php

here is a search example on google for mp3 directory, just insert band/artist of your choice where I have "CLASH"...which was and always will be a band of my choice. It was my first show when I was 16....it was an "eye opening" experience to say the least. Except of course when I was closing them because everyone was spitting... :o

-inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:"index of" +"last modified" +"parent directory" +description +size +(wma|mp3) "Clash"

just go to google. If you go to the link posted above you will find the search "method" and a bunch of other sites, links, searches.

:D

here is what the CLASH search above got me,

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=U...%29+%22clash%22

Edited by Baal

Unless you live in Russia, allofmp3 is just as illegal as downloading mp3s via bittorrent or any other filesharing method. That being said, I used to use allofmp3 quite a bit, and mp3search.ru as well and never had a problem with the service. Finding music I actually liked and wanted was the reason I got into bittorrent. Using sites such as OiNK (oink.me.uk), indietorrents.com and filemp3.org pretty much give me more than I can download! Getting invitations to these sites can be a pain, but worth the effort. I would buy the cds I really like...but finding them in Thailand is impossible!

Edited by grrr

Unless you live in Russia, allofmp3 is just as illegal as downloading mp3s via bittorrent or any other filesharing method.

Unless Thailand has some strange laws about importing music, that's just plain wrong.

allofmp3.com is a completely legal download site. It is a member of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license terms, MediaServices pays license fees for all materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights".

Russia has different laws regarding copyright and, briefly speaking, the internet distribution of music falls under the same category as playing it on the radio. License fees have to be paid to a central body that distributes it to the artists.

google can confirm this.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-...ollection=etree

about as legal as it gets. But the argument is kind of silly, musicians are doing well and many a musician has launched a career using the free dowload system's.

In fact Fitty Cent used to give away all his shows, look at him now. He wears 300k rings and complains about........well thats another topic. :o

1965 (1)

1966 (19)

1967 (18)

1968 (40)

1969 (116)

1970 (121)

1971 (63)

1972 (82)

1973 (79)

1974 (72)

1975 (14)

1976 (79)

1977 (86)

1978 (124)

1979 (113)

1980 (140)

1981 (129)

1982 (96)

1983 (127)

1984 (104)

1985 (167)

1986 (75)

1987 (128)

1988 (120)

1989 (109)

1990 (111)

1991 (130)

1992 (82)

1993 (156)

1994 (106)

1995 (68)

thats just the list of Greatful Dead shows, year and number of them.

allofmp3.com is a completely legal download site. It is a member of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license terms, MediaServices pays license fees for all materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights".

Yeah, but then in their FAQ this part:

"The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.comdoes not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users."

OK whatever...it's legal in Russia but probably not in your country. So when you buy an album from them for US$1.10 how much of that goes to the record label and the artist?

I'm not trying to defend or support the corrupt, corporate music industry at all and am very happy sites like allofmp3 exist. I guess I'm just trying to say that if you get your music via file sharing or allofmp3 and you are worried about moral and/or legal issues, go buy your CDs in a store.

For the record, I'd go with limewire, and the upgrade to pro is worth it. :o

What are the benefits of the upgrade cdnvic?

Is it really that much better than the shareware version?

The pool of user that pro searches is much bigger so you get alot less "need more sources" and the speed isn't throttled like it is in the free version.

cv