What To Do And See In Loei?

teletiger

Leaving today for a trip to Issan and Lanna and was wondering what there was to do in Loei .I've heard lots of nice things about the location and am eager to hear your recommendations about what and where etc. Also any hotel reviews.

Search function revealed limited where and nothing on the what to do.smile.png

Thank you in advance.jap.gif

Regards.

Before you actually get to Loei, and a bit beyond if coming from say Udon Thani direction, there are lovely mountain type areas with farms and I would imagine resorts, which look great for a peaceful break.

Going to stop in the future as have only seen from the bus so-far.

Actual Loei proper is a nice little place with some restaurants etc around the river, but the town itself is not unlike many other Thai areas.

Kings Hotel in Loei is fine, very large and clean rooms and good restaurant, have stayed there a few times.

Edited by fishhooks

Not a lot to see. Some nice drives and mountain areas. Phu Ruea is a nice drive, about 1 hour. Good steak restaurant and wineries. Some of the worst wine I've ever tasted in my life. It's kind of funny. Chiang Khan is another nice drive upto the Mekong. Village is charming along the banks of the Mekong.

Renting cars in Hue is difficult. Suggest you check with hotel first.

Without a car you'll be bored to tears.

There is a great little lake about 20 km out with bamboo rafts where they sell great food and beer. Can be a very relaxing afternoon, a good family day. That is the place I like to go to.

2 months and 20 days until we arrive there, but who is counting.

Try the AP Court Hotel in Loei. NIce place. Loei has a charming city park, one of the nicest in Thailand, I reckon.

Are you referring to the park in and around the lake? If so, calling it one of the nicest in Thailand is a bit of a stretch. It's hardly a botanical gardens and is not unlike parks in most Thai towns. Has the mandatory man made lake, with walkway and aerobics section etc. It's nice, but in my opinion certainly not a highlight.

HappyAussie, what I meant by saying "I reckon it's one of the nicest city parks in Thailand" is that it appeals to me and the things I appreciate: small size, used a lot by local folks, surrounded by water, simple, a few outdoor places nearby where you can get a cold beer and sit, lots of locals feeding the fish and such things.

The park he is talking about runs beside the city river on the edge of the inner city.

The feeding of fish is mainly on the crossover walking bridge, a chinese temple on the city send and the walking park at the other end.

I love Loei.

Regards

Fred

Then the floating raft on the lake lunch..

post-54628-0-05192400-1327490909_thumb.j

post-54628-0-03694500-1327490929_thumb.j

post-54628-0-73041200-1327490955_thumb.j

post-54628-0-89610100-1327490994_thumb.j

post-54628-0-33968700-1327491018_thumb.j

post-54628-0-69727700-1327491311_thumb.j

Edited by fvos

Erawan Cave is about 40 - 50 Km outside Loei, between Nong Bua Lam Phu and Wang Saphung and is worth seeing if you are in the area.

Thai folklore is that a Thai Princess was kept there in hiding and her spirit protects the area.