Living In Phetchabun

Sakhi

Hello All!

I am an American that has been living in Bangkok for about a year and a half. My wife and I are thinking that life in the country might be nicer. We are in Phetchabun now visiting a friend and trying to get a feel for the area. We also have our eyes up further north towards Sukhothai and Phitsanulok.

We will still need to earn some income. Probably teaching English and we have some other ideas as well.

My question is for anyone with practical experience of living in any of these places. Could someone please advise me as to the pros and cons of living in any of these locations.

Thanks!

Phetchbun Very hot in the summer 40+C and like wise very cold winter, due to it's location between hill's/mountain's Had big problem's this year with flooding. Small in comparison to P/Lok That has a better all-round temp: renting is a little more expensive, but a better chance of getting a job. Down side it has a lot of traffic. S/Thai again small Peep's that live there will be able to give you better idea's on what work opportunities there are. Weather about the same as P/Lok not to sure but I think part's had flood problem's this year, I know that just outside did.

I'm very bias but I would give N/Sawan a miss unless you like fume's, Work Ok I think again peep's that live there would be able to give you better information on that. There are some that like N/S as I said I don't but it might suit you. I live in K.P.Phet all year temp is Ok and renting not expensive and we have a large University their always looking for English teacher's.

If you have a car go and give some of the place's a look over and see what's available work wise, and if you feel you could live there. They are all very different. Hope this help's.

I would dispute the "Big problems" comment, the water never got past my ankles where I am, and the town only had minor problems for a few days. The main problem as with most areas was the depletion of stocks whilst the supply chain was disrupted in Bangkok.

The area is quiet, not much going on for nightlife other than some nice Restaurants.

Edited by CharlieH

Does the OP mean Phet province or City?. There are several towns to choose from. In Phu Toei only 6 farangs reside permanently, nice quiet place with zero night life, well apart from the local cat house.

Further up the road in Wichien Buri there are scores of ex-pats.

I always like the look of the town Na Chaliang, its nicely laid out, has Banks,7/11, garage & now an Express Lotus (Tesco).

Agree about the flooding comment fron C H, I live only 2 km from the Pa Sak river, overspills every year into the rice fields, never seems to reach the town.

I would dispute the "Big problems" comment, the water never got past my ankles where I am, and the town only had minor problems for a few days. The main problem as with most areas was the depletion of stocks whilst the supply chain was disrupted in Bangkok.

The area is quiet, not much going on for nightlife other than some nice Restaurants.

I only stated what a fiend of mine told me he live's some 3km outside P/B he has a Vigo 4x4 and for three day's he could not get his paper flood water over 1mt. But don't you think even above your ankle's is bad enough.

It was around 40C for a few days last year and as for cold well maybe if you are Thai you might feel cold never much below 25C. As for the traffic it is very light compared to other areas in Thailand. I live near Petchabun town itself so maybe others are talking about elsewhere in the Province. A new university has just been built and another private school is being extended for older children so possibilities for teaching. Renting a 3 bedroom house is possible for around 5000 Baht per month. Many restaurants and bars some with live music and 2 nightclubs with live music in the 2 local hotels.

It was around 40C for a few days last year and as for cold well maybe if you are Thai you might feel cold never much below 25C. As for the traffic it is very light compared to other areas in Thailand. I live near Petchabun town itself so maybe others are talking about elsewhere in the Province. A new university has just been built and another private school is being extended for older children so possibilities for teaching. Renting a 3 bedroom house is possible for around 5000 Baht per month. Many restaurants and bars some with live music and 2 nightclubs with live music in the 2 local hotels.

25c day time maybe but what does it go down to at night Dec-Mar was at a friend's house 3km from town center, just over 3 week's ago and the morning temp was 13/14c didn't start to get warmer till 10.30am+ I stayed 2 day's and not the 4 planed in the morning all the house's had a fire going in their garden my friend English had jean's a jumper and a jacket. I only had my normal short's to bloody cold for me and I'm a Farang.

I've lived in Phetchabun ( 25 kms from the city itself), for 10 years or so. The flooding where I live was less this year than in all the time I've lived here. As for the temperature, it's anywhere from 15 degrees to 42 degrees, depending on the time of year. The times I've worn long trousers and a warm top can be counted on one hand, in all the time I've been here. I can't advise on teaching jobs, but there are a couple of Universities now, several colleges, and private schools. nightlife is fine, if you like eating, but not on a par with the big cities. Good luck in your search.