How To Increase Two-Stroke Torque?

ClareQuilty

I use to run offset crankpins 10 years ago when i raced, if you look at the head gasket, if there is an aluminium spacer about 2-3mm thick, more than likely theres an offset crankpin installed. The spacer needs to be there so the piston doesnt smack the head. Alternatively the spacer can also be placed at the bottom of the cylinder instead.

..and offset bores , cross drilled cranks, titanium con rods, custom manifolds and slipper pistons, et al but the post was about how to help a guy, not to tell us what you have done. This Is TV not Facebook...

Oh and forgot stuffed crankcases..

Whats your problem? i was explaining why there might be an aluminium spacer if it existed on his bike.

I'll just assume your having a bad day and wont take it personally.

No I'm not having a bad day. An no I don't take it personally.

Why would an old Tiara have an offset ground crank pin and a spacer under the barrel. Doesn't make any sense. Had you have started your posts with "Check under the cylinder and see if you can see an aluminum spacer. Then the bike has a modified offset crank".

What your idea of why that should effect the bottom end torque could have then been stated. You started your post talking about YOU not about the problem. If some of the guys on here started explaining what they had done before to engines or bikes TV would need more server space.

Oh and introducing a personal aspect into a discussion is what high school debating members or politicians do when they are on the back foot.

Go for a ride today up Doi Sutep and relax.

dam_n dude i thought you were cool, i guess i was wrong. I actually considered you one of the people id like to meet in chiang mai, but thanks for showing your true colors.

I'll just assume your having your period and wont take it personally.

Again more crap! Another debating society move "Oh I could have been your friend, but now..."

PMS for guys another juvenile quip! Obviously a soccer guy not a rugby guy. They are more thick skinned.

I have only been to Chiang Mai once but thanks to Clare Q's posts on 2-T I did find a Thai forum dedicated to my bike so maybe I will have some new acquaintances there.

But seriously. While I am sure you are happy and content with all the projects you have or have had and I know social media is de riguer. But when a guy asks for help or advise it is not an invitation to tell the world all about yourself. In a funny it is almost like the "whenwee's" from Australia. Many TV'ers fall into that trap or maybe they feel that is what TV is for. OK you are not as bad as the "I've just bought a new BMW 325" set but still.. Maybe there is a group of guys who want to compare their times up Doi Suthep who knows.

To find out who the REALLY interesting guys are you need to read between the lines. I'm not saying I am one of them, god forbid, but there are a few.

Edited by VocalNeal

Is the exhaust system as standard? This could also have an effect on the powerband being higher up the rev range and squeezed into a couple of 1000 revs, rather than a broader spread of power.

Is the exhaust system as standard? This could also have an effect on the powerband being higher up the rev range and squeezed into a couple of 1000 revs, rather than a broader spread of power.

Yeah it seems to be standard... it looks the same size and shape as my other Tiara (which has a broader power band).. also I did just have it cleaned out and it was ok.

I honestly don't think the bike was very much modified when I got it.. looked pretty 'stock'. I paid 5,000 baht for it, a good price I think for a 6-spd dual disk brake Tiara in reasonable condition - though it did need an engine rebuild, new wheels and tires, and a new seat.

Is the air filter original and in good condition?

Are there any leaks around the inlet where the carb is mounted (cracked rubber or loose clamps)?

Assuming all is in good order and using the original equipment, I would suggest following what has been suggested by checking the carb settings.

Important to note, is that when adjusting carb screws you should always keep a note of where you started as it can become easy to "get lost" and add more problems. Best thing to do is to write it down.

It wouldn't hurt to also check the needle position inside the throttle slide (I,m not sure if its adjustable on this bike though).

Unscrew the top of the carb and pull out the slide, the needle is fixed by a circlip inside the slide, usually having several positions so it can be raised or lowered (in relation to the emulsion tube).

You could check this on your other bike to see if they are the same.

I use to run offset crankpins 10 years ago when i raced, if you look at the head gasket, if there is an aluminium spacer about 2-3mm thick, more than likely theres an offset crankpin installed. The spacer needs to be there so the piston doesnt smack the head. Alternatively the spacer can also be placed at the bottom of the cylinder instead.

..and offset bores , cross drilled cranks, titanium con rods, custom manifolds and slipper pistons, et al but the post was about how to help a guy, not to tell us what you have done. This Is TV not Facebook...

Oh and forgot stuffed crankcases..

Interesting u mentioned about stuffed crankcases. I used to race 1600cc 2T outboard powered boats and we did stuff the crankcase, with fingers even up into the pistons to reduce volume. made a huge increase in torque powering out of corners etc (no gearbox as on a bike) Resulted in a total of 9 National Championships cuz no one else realised the opportunity available to them.

QC, an easy way to find out if carb is a fault is to get engine up to temp and ride off, when its in the slow period, gently apply choke, if it gets better the mixture is too lean, gets worse, its too rich, so find the airscrew on carb, start engine, hold throttle about half way into the dead/lumpy period, play with the airscrew till you find the max revs, then wind it clockwise 1/4 turn to richen mixture a little, you have to do this cos when the engine is not loaded it is running slightly lean, so to richen the mixute a bit will simulate road conditions.