Trips By Motorbike To Surrounding Countries

Dutchbike

What kind of paperwork is needed for ( in my case) a trip to Cambodia? ( to visit Angkor Wat)

During a trip to Laos ( Savanaket) where i parked my car at the border, i met an Austrian guy who took his Thai car easily into Laos, according to him, all that was needed was a passport for the car ( from the transportation office ( 55 baht) At the border pay temporary import taxes ( around 300 baht) and you're good to go.

Is it the same with motorbikes?? how about insurance?? i will have to renew mine next month any recommandations?

While i'm at it , how are the roads in Cambodia? i've read and heard there a lot of unpaved main roads,not a big problem ( i drive a KLX) but it's better to be prepared.

I will be crossing the border at Chong Chom and from there it's a 120 km drive to Siem Reap.

My traveldates are not yet set, i'm just gathering the information first.

Piece of cake- go get your green book translated at the DLT. I think it costs 100 or 150 Baht.

Assuming you have a valid Thai liscense it's accepted in Cambodia.

Do note that it's illegal to ride with headlight on during the day in Cambodia, so either install a switch or unplug your headlight during the day to avoid fines.

You purchase insurance after you cross the border.

Recent reports on GT Rider say that many of the Cambodian Customs checkpoints do not have the customs form for temporary import of a vehicle and that some have been hassled by the police for not having the document... Nothing a little backhander can't fix though ;)

Ride On!

Tony

You can get a copy of the Thai export forms from the GT Rider website, or you can get them at the border.

Roads in Cambodia are pretty bad. Potholes and unsealed sections all over the place. Drivers are even worse... Watch out for the bus passing a bus passing a car passing an ox cart, all on your side of the road... No quarter given!

Tony is correct, no headlight during daylight, but it's not illegal to have no headlights at night! Many bikes and ox carts getting around with no lights, and many of the cars drive on high beam permanently, regardless of what's coming the other way.

Cheers.

You can get a copy of the Thai export forms from the GT Rider website, or you can get them at the border.

The problem it seems, from recent reports on GT Rider, is that some border checkpoints don't have the forms, and others refuse to fill out the forms even if you bring them yourself...