Thailand Imposes Alcohol Ban for Visakha Bucha Day on May 22

webfact

image.jpeg

Visakha Bucha Day, also called Vesak, will be celebrated on May 22 in Thailand, marking a significant public holiday. On this highly revered Buddhist day, Thai law mandates a ban on selling all types of alcoholic beverages in convenience stores and entertainment venues.

Vesak Day holds immense spiritual importance in Thailand as it commemorates three major events in the Buddha’s life: his birth, enlightenment, and passing away.

These events all occurred on the same day, which is the full moon of the sixth lunar month. On this day, Buddhists engage in various religious activities like making merit, listening to sermons, and worshipping to promote peace and happiness.

In light of the day's sacred nature, the Prime Minister’s Office has strict mandates against alcohol sales. According to the Designation of Prohibited Days for Alcohol Sales 2015, the regulation clearly states: "No one is allowed to sell alcoholic beverages on Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asalha Bucha Day, the Beginning of Buddhist Lent Day, and the End of Buddhist Lent Day, except for duty-free shops within international airport terminals."

Additionally, the Alcohol Control Act of 2008, Section 32, supports these restrictions, prohibiting the advertisement or display of alcoholic beverage names or trademarks in any manner that promotes drinking, directly or indirectly.

On Vesak Day, the alcohol sale ban is enforced from midnight to midnight. Due to this restriction, consuming alcohol on Vesak Day is viewed as inappropriate, and selling it is illegal, except in specified areas like duty-free shops at international airports.

Aside from the alcohol ban, several institutions, including banks, government offices, and some private businesses will be closed for the day. This observance underscores the day's significance, inviting everyone to respect its sanctity by adhering to these laws.

File photo courtesy: The Phuket Express

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai law mandates a ban on selling all types of alcoholic beverages in convenience stores and entertainment venues

The millions of tourists will be so happy....

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The millions of tourists will be so happy....

Thousands of entertainment business operators even more "happy".

To improve their mood they can grab a big bong 🙄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai law mandates a ban on selling all types of alcoholic beverages in convenience stores

Are mom & pop shops convenience stores? Let's face it there will be millions of Thais drinking alcohol Wednesday. Just more anachronism in Thai law.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes, but many sell under the radar.

Yeah my local M&P shop closes.... but I have the owners number and they will drop round a box of beers or a few bottles of whisky if I need.

Pay the next day ofcourse, alcohol sales prohibited !

• Thumbs Up 2

I love getting a dry out day when I holiday in Thailand. The night before I buy a bottle of my

favorite booze in case I get thirsty.  Plan ahead is a key to haveing a great holiday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, watchcat said:

All other tourists (millions) who are not religious, why should they suffer this mumbo jumbo?

Only a small percentage of them will be affected.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Visakha Bucha Day, also called Vesak, will be celebrated on May 22 in Thailand, marking a significant public holiday. On this highly revered Buddhist day, Thai law mandates a ban on selling all types of alcoholic beverages in convenience stores and entertainment venues.

Vesak Day holds immense spiritual importance in Thailand as it commemorates three major events in the Buddha’s life: his birth, enlightenment, and passing away.

These events all occurred on the same day, which is the full moon of the sixth lunar month. On this day, Buddhists engage in various religious activities like making merit, listening to sermons, and worshipping to promote peace and happiness.

In light of the day's sacred nature, the Prime Minister’s Office has strict mandates against alcohol sales. According to the Designation of Prohibited Days for Alcohol Sales 2015, the regulation clearly states: "No one is allowed to sell alcoholic beverages on Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asalha Bucha Day, the Beginning of Buddhist Lent Day, and the End of Buddhist Lent Day, except for duty-free shops within international airport terminals."

Additionally, the Alcohol Control Act of 2008, Section 32, supports these restrictions, prohibiting the advertisement or display of alcoholic beverage names or trademarks in any manner that promotes drinking, directly or indirectly.

On Vesak Day, the alcohol sale ban is enforced from midnight to midnight. Due to this restriction, consuming alcohol on Vesak Day is viewed as inappropriate, and selling it is illegal, except in specified areas like duty-free shops at international airports.

Aside from the alcohol ban, several institutions, including banks, government offices, and some private businesses will be closed for the day. This observance underscores the day's significance, inviting everyone to respect its sanctity by adhering to these laws.

File photo courtesy: The Phuket Express

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Extend the ban not only for one day but the whole week🙏

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

There are 8 M&P shops within 5 min of my home upcountry and they will all be selling alcohol. This is the reality all over Thailand and why this anachronist law based on a faith is just laughable. 

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah my local M&P shop closes.... but I have the owners number and they will drop round a box of beers or a few bottles of whisky if I need.

Pay the next day ofcourse, alcohol sales prohibited !

Sorry, what is an M & P shop.

A search mostly pulled loads of links to H & M.

NB I have no trouble getting alcohol any day if I want to. Just curious.

Edited by Tropicalevo

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Don't mind the alcohol ban... I have learned to plan ahead... however they should also ban playing that same song over and over again at full blast from 10,000 amp speakers... that's more disrespectful than drinking alcohol... and probably causes more problems as well.

Many Buddhist countries do that. For what, only they know.

A damned nuisance indeed.

Never buy house/property anywhere near a temple.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

They pulled that stunt during COVID you may remember -an indefinite alcohol ban.

Didn't really work.

I did chuckle heartily at that covid ban.

I purchased a years worth of beer and whisky and stored it in my spare room !!

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

These events all occurred on the same day,

So the guy was born and  passead away the same day ?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

sounds like an excuse for a good old knees-up!

My fridge is fully loaded.

bob.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, watchcat said:

So the guy was born and  passead away the same day ?

thats a hektic day, hope he got a round in before passing.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Haha 1

I consider myself a rational Buddhist. The banning of alcohol sales because it is a "sacred day" strikes me as counter to the teachings of self responsibility and discipline. It is easy to forego some damaging behavior (drinking) when there is nothing available to drink. The ban takes away the individuals decision making and follow through to abstain. It's like if I swore off sleeping with Angelina Jolie: easy to do, no sacrifice as she was never on the menu.

And of course, we once more have the tyranny of the majority: no exceptions on booze ban for Christians, Muslims, Jews, Jains, Hindus, atheists, satanists, Jehovah's witnesses.... anyone and everyone

If your religion says "don't drink" and you want to follow it, then don't drink. As they say here & should apply "Up to you".

• Like 1