Trendy Condo Sukhumvit Posts Illegal Short Time Rentals Are Not Allowed

Last year after an article came out in Thaivisa from the Nation that the Hotel Association were fighting

the illegal rentals that were causing their members loss of revenue, some members wrote in and asked about this law. People wrote back that Condo Co owners can do whatever they want here in Thailand.

Turns out many co owners who wanted to live in their condos rather than a short time hotel complained to Government agencies and to the Committee and Juristic, threatening a law suit.

As of a few months ago the Juristic posted the law and consequences of illegal rentals here in Thailand and that they were not acceptable anymore at the Trendy.

Many Co owners have used the hotline 1111 and complained there and the Land Office and the Government agency which is similar to the Consumer Affairs in other countries.

They claim that allowing illegal short time rentals damaged the property value and that these co owners were not paying taxes or protecting other co owners that were living in this Condo.

Juristic complains that he notified these Co owners who would not honor the law, and told them to stop

but some refuse to abide by the Juristic or the law.

We are waiting to see if any Government agencies will step in to stop these illegal activities. We were told at the AGM meeting that many do not have work permits, and are flaunting the law by doing whatever they want. Many Co owners up in arms complaining that Juristic should be able to cut off services on these illegal Co Owners, like shutting water, electric and use of the facilities gym and pool area.

Management claims they need to get Committee to change the Condo blue book authority rules giving Juristic power to do these changes and to bring it to the Annual meeting. The Co owners called for an emergency meeting to have the Condo abide by the law and stop illegal activities.

As we have seen there are powers that be condoning these activities and a hostel bought three apartments and has about eight other co owners that allow the hostel to daily rent and advertise on the web. As of now no co owners are advertising on the lobby bulletin board or anywhere in the Condo anymore.

We wait for the Government to enforce the law and contacted the Hotel Association to see if they would help those legal Co owners to get the agencies to stop these illegal activities here.

They have not responded. 1111 says they contacted the police about these complaints and so far we have not heard of any action yet.

This info is all we have at the present but this is an update since the pessimistic and wrong info of TV members last year wrongly stated that anyone can rent their apartment for any length of time and that info was wrong based on the law. If the Juristic allows these illegal activities they are liable but claim the Government enforcement is the blame and cutting off electric and water is something that has to be in the Charter and we will see if the Committee changes the Charter and brings it to the Co owners to Vote on these changes to abide by the law.

I am just passing this on for those that have similar problems in their Condos and for people to know about the law and for those that believe that allowing illegal activities in their Condos is something that should be ignored rather than taking a stand to defend their right to abide by the law and have a safe, clean home to live in their Condos.

If anyone has positive experience with stopping these illegal activities in their Condo please post it here so we can know exactly how you got the Juristic, Committee and the Government agencies involved to enforce this law and how to get support from the very agency or organization as the Hotel Association who will benefit the most to help in enforcement. Thanks in advance and for the pessimistic responses of TIT etc, we who have invested and retired here believe that pessimistic attitudes is not helpful to our cause of protecting our homes from greedy and illegal people. We need positive feedback and support from Condo Co owners not from people that believe in illegal activities and really have no interest in helping people live safely here.

I agree that condo rentals of under, say, 1 calendar month should be prohibited and indeed it would appear that by law they already are.

That said, my building has several large signs on the ground floor advertising rooms by the night and no one seems to care very much.

I agree that condo rentals of under, say, 1 calendar month should be prohibited and indeed it would appear that by law they already are.

That said, my building has several large signs on the ground floor advertising rooms by the night and no one seems to care very much.

Thanks for your positive feedback, I would only say that in this Condo soi 13, the setup is different than other Condos from what I can see.

We have a Plaza with stores and offices, they get Committee members three each.

That is Six votes.

The residential side where I live has three votes.

We suffer since none of the people elected for two years each, actually live here.

I have appeared twice and tried three other times to appear about issues concerning these matters and safety and maintenance and security and management and many many other issues.

Most of the farang I met there told me, don't waste your breath.

The man that sold me his Condo still lives there, two years now and paying his landlord co owner over 360,000 baht a year and he refuses to bring his complaints to her or the Committee or the Juristic.

He says don't waste your breath to anyone that wants to stand up to greedy and heartless people that do not live here but control the lives of those that do.

I have sent in pictures and complaints over thirty times and at the last AGM which is annual meeting, I had the Vice President tell me in front of all that I should not give up the fight, that I have been more helpful than all the managers they have had and no one seems to want to get involved in helping matters here.

I got applause from the Attending people but things change very slow.

This week we were told and I met with a woman hired to oversee the management of the Residential and Plaza.

If we had a fair balance of power here of people that actually lived here and maybe at least one farang on the Committee maybe we would have more of a say.

As you say if you want I can send you a copy of the law that is Posted now after four years of the Law against short time rentals of Condos as Illegal.

Maybe you can if you want or it bothers you enough bring it to the Juristic.

They are liable according to our Attorney to follow the law and post any actions that are illegal and try and get them stopped in Condos.

They won't act unless someone complains and that takes courage here since someone actually put the sign of cutting her throat to me like in the movies under her throat, and we had to file a complaint to protect me.

However so far no violence towards me at over 65 and living in NYC and Germany I have been threatened before as a President of tenants association and shop steward in a Truckers union.

I am still alive and will not stop standing up for the under dog and I am a farang here and I love this country and plan on staying here until they get rid of me one way or another.

Already an English retiree has stepped up to the plate and standing up for his home here and yesterday I heard from an Australian man and a man from Singapore they want to fight the gang that refuses to abide by the law and they want to get an Attorney if the Juristic and Committee to refuse to abide by the law.

So there is some hope and as of the last time this was first posted 99 percent was negative and abusive in their reactions to buying a condo here and also that we had allot of nerve to write that we wanted condo owners to abide by the law.

Very painful the way they put me and others down for doing the next right thing, it took a long time to write again but as I say, this Sight has helped me more than anything in learning what to do about Immigration issues and so many others that it is important to risk being abused by those that don't really know or care in order to help those that want and need this info. Thanks Thaivisa for being here for us farang.

hit-the-fan.gifVery serious matter. Since I live neither in BKK nor Pattaya, these problems are magnified and multiplied by x10.

Blatant disregard for the Law in general and for the Rules written in the Condo Articles of Juristic Person. And I mean almost each and every one of these Rules. Including Safety Rules and Regulations.

I tried to fight. Even went to Court. Believe me, it's futile. TITs are TITs and shouldn't be mistaken for bums.

Hope one day hit-the-fan.gif

hit-the-fan.gif Very serious matter. Since I live neither in BKK nor Pattaya, these problems are magnified and multiplied by x10.

Blatant disregard for the Law in general and for the Rules written in the Condo Articles of Juristic Person. And I mean almost each and every one of these Rules. Including Safety Rules and Regulations.

I tried to fight. Even went to Court. Believe me, it's futile. TITs are TITs and shouldn't be mistaken for bums.

thanks for the feedback, a group of farang are starting a group for co owners that are fed up with the lack of maintenance and the disregard of the law and those that want to live there full time.

Since we are outnumbered by the committee members of the Plaza and the stores, six to three, and the three from the residential side do not live there only rent, those that want to have it as there home are in a bad way. The law says we are in the right and they are illegal as the sign posted on the bulletin says, but the agencies involved with the rentals say to Juristic that it is up to them to do something to stop it.

I am shocked and now many co owners are standing up and preparing on going to court to fight it.

It is good for those that want a cheap one night or short time for less than a hotel but for us that invested allot of money we are over run with people that do not care about the property, Indian Restaurants that have bus tours from Mumbai and use the lobby and toilets as their own and a company that has multilevel marketing meetings that use all the parking spots and and elevators the lobby and keep the doors open and allow air conditioning out the doors.

Something has to be done to protect the co owners that want a clean and safe place to live and have Juristic do maintain the property and abide by the law.

Sorry but we are growing in numbers and since we are on the side of the law and tax codes, eventually we will win out over the greedy illegal investors that do not care about anything but profits.

hit-the-fan.gif Very serious matter. Since I live neither in BKK nor Pattaya, these problems are magnified and multiplied by x10.

thanks for the feedback, a group of farang are starting a group for co owners that are fed up with the lack of maintenance and the disregard of the law and those that want to live there full time.

Since we are outnumbered by the committee members of the Plaza and the stores, six to three, and the three from the residential side do not live there only rent, those that want to have it as there home are in a bad way. The law says we are in the right and they are illegal as the sign posted on the bulletin says, but the agencies involved with the rentals say to Juristic that it is up to them to do something to stop it.

I am shocked and now many co owners are standing up and preparing on going to court to fight it.

It is good for those that want a cheap one night or short time for less than a hotel but for us that invested allot of money we are over run with people that do not care about the property, Indian Restaurants that have bus tours from Mumbai and use the lobby and toilets as their own and a company that has multilevel marketing meetings that use all the parking spots and and elevators the lobby and keep the doors open and allow air conditioning out the doors.

Something has to be done to protect the co owners that want a clean and safe place to live and have Juristic do maintain the property and abide by the law.

Sorry but we are growing in numbers and since we are on the side of the law and tax codes, eventually we will win out over the greedy illegal investors that do not care about anything but profits.

i rent from an indian there for short lets lol

i rent from an indian there for short lets lol

yes he has been notified as the others that have been flaunting the law for a few years now.

Did you see the sign in the lobby from Management juristic that it is against the law for them to rent daily or weekly?

Did you see on the other bulletin the details the law states the illegal co owner is liable to get when the laws get enforced and how much tax he or they are supposed to be paying the Government and have work permits.

Most of them as we have heard are not paying taxes, not notifying immigration with copies of the renters passport, not notifying Juristic of length of stay etc etc.

So eventually they will be caught and pay heavy for their illegal activities.

As anything else here it takes time and when people co owners that are legal and want

to do the right thing get sick and tired of being sick and tired, maybe things change in the meantime enjoy your stays here until he gets caught, they are being investigated according to 1111 hotline so many people have called complaining and reporting the Trendy that they notified the Police I was told.

Maybe they will pay a visit to see what co owners are complaining about?

we shall see, thanks for writing.

Actually I think that any place rented out for less than one year should probably also have some supplementary maintenance fee charged to the owner as there is little doubt that short-term tenants generally cause more damage, wear and tear, noise and general inconvenience than owners or long-term tenants do.

There should also be some strict rules limiting the number of people living in each unit.

Actually I think that any place rented out for less than one year should probably also have some supplementary maintenance fee charged to the owner as there is little doubt that short-term tenants generally cause more damage, wear and tear, noise and general inconvenience than owners or long-term tenants do.

There should also be some strict rules limiting the number of people living in each unit.

yes thank you

definitely agree,

but since the law says that these co owners renting in this matter are doing illegal activities

here in Thailand, that they are not paying taxes, not following the law, that is the main issue,

illegal activities, so charging extra to co owners for doing illegal activities is condoning law breakers and it is not a good practice.