Public Transport Van Plunges Into Ditch Killing Four, Injuring 16: Suphan Buri

webfact

With no proper driver/rider training or education the only reference they have to go on is what they see everyday. As far as they are concerned their driving is acceptable and normal. I agree with the poster who said that women drivers here are far better than their male counterparts.

I find Laotian drivers much more disciplined than Thai drivers. Having said that, IMO Thai women on average drive ten times better than Thai men.

Is that when they are on or off the phone? they always seem on it to me!!

When will drivers learn that it is not the vehicle which is pulling out to overtake which has right of way. (This also applies to Fortuna drivers.)

Harrry, slow down! I'm driving a Fortuner too! But each time I see a white mini-van Toyota with a red band in my rear-view mirror coming up behind me, I give way... They are driving so crazy and so fast and never leave the right traffic lane...

Should I change my habits now and do like you suggest all Fortuner drivers are doing? Or is it "Fortuna" the Greek Goddess of fortune and luck, daughter of Jupiter that you mean?

I find Laotian drivers much more disciplined than Thai drivers. Having said that, IMO Thai women on average drive ten times better than Thai men.

Is that when they are on or off the phone? they always seem on it to me!!

No, he means the young pretty ladies with black BMW's driving with one hand and the phone in the other hand, never giving way to anyone and never looking in their rear view mirror (which usually is directed towards their face for the eternal "quick make-up")

Thailand, Vietnam and Laos are all alike. They do not follow the traffic regulation. The drivers are impatience. They do not care about the safety of other people. I feel scare just being in the transportation.

Have you ever been to Cambodia...? It is worse...Believe me...

Here I fully agree! Their big Lexusses and V8-Landcruisers are no match to anyone else on the road as they just flash their lights for overtaking: which means GIVE WAY OR DIE!!! Not a single police-officer dares to stop these excellencies! They rather catch the poor bus driver for wreckless driving with his heavily overloaded KIA or Hyundai mini-bus or not having paid his road taxes!

• Like 2

Thailand, Vietnam and Laos are all alike. They do not follow the traffic regulation. The drivers are impatience. They do not care about the safety of other people. I feel scare just being in the transportation.

Have you ever been to Cambodia...? It is worse...Believe me...

Bugger Cambodia, its Thailand we are concerned about !

Please note that Lao and Vietnam were also mentioned here...!!!

No driver training whatsoever.

I often wonder just how these mimi bus drivers get their jobs ! I live on Koh Samui and believe me, its an absolute nightmare travelling thro Maenam in the morning when all these mini busses are heading for the Lompraya ferry taking passengers from hotels to the Koh Pangan ferry boats. They drive like maniacs, overtaking everything and anything and then if there is no room because of oncoming traffic, they just barge in , no indicators whatsoever and god help any motorbikes who happen to be in "their" space.

And then in the late afternoon, it all happens again only in reverse. Something just has to be done about these mini busses. I was at the airport today, a mini bus dropped his passengers and then did a screaming U turn and took off out of the airport, flat out, no reason at all, just his gung ho attitude. These busses are very high geared and all the drivers treat them like toys.

Koh samui drivers are some of the worst !

It is really quite simple to help half these deaths, Restrict the Vans Speed !!!!, they do it in Europe, why not here? , stops them from speeding !

20 people fit inside this van?

RIP

My thoughts exactly, 20 people jammed into a 12 seater mini bus. I am sure they charged all for the ride as well. When are they going to put public safety ahead of the baht or is it cheaper to pay the 2,000 baht compensation to the families than buy an additional van to cope with the increase in passengers?

Another tragic story involving these vans and possibly another that could have been avoided if greed was not a factor and common sense was applied.

Condolences to the families.

When will drivers learn that it is not the vehicle which is pulling out to overtake which has right of way. (This also applies to Fortuna drivers.)

Harrry, slow down! I'm driving a Fortuner too! But each time I see a white mini-van Toyota with a red band in my rear-view mirror coming up behind me, I give way... They are driving so crazy and so fast and never leave the right traffic lane...

Should I change my habits now and do like you suggest all Fortuner drivers are doing? Or is it "Fortuna" the Greek Goddess of fortune and luck, daughter of Jupiter that you mean?

Is it a black one.....cowboy.gif

20 people in a 13 seater does not surprise me in a land where it is not unusual to see seven or more on a moped and where school busses are converted lorries with roof racks so the kids can ride on top.

Please do let me know where I can see seven, or more, people formation-riding on a moped. I thought that was reserved for the circus.

The case is clear enough mate - gross exaggeration is unnecessary

20 people in a 13 seater does not surprise me in a land where it is not unusual to see seven or more on a moped and where school busses are converted lorries with roof racks so the kids can ride on top.

Please do let me know where I can see seven, or more, people formation-riding on a moped. I thought that was reserved for the circus.

I have actually seen 3 adults and 3 children + 2 dogs on the one motorcycle. 3 adults seated 2 kids on knees and one child standing 1 dog in a front carry basket and one being held. After you have been in Thailand for awhile nothing suprises anymore, Thailand can be like on big circus.

Edited by chooka

post-9891-0-90566400-1327816309_thumb.jp

Chinese circus act. rolleyes.gif

post-9891-0-90249100-1327816649.txt

Indian circus act.coffee1.gif

Edited by ratcatcher

i too live in samut prakarn province

in a place called preackasa and i have a new car and i drive to paknam every day

and the motor cycle drivers must be brain dead most of them as they dont give way most think they are in the tt races and lights or lack of them

just there for decoration

you really take your life in your hands when you go out

mini bus and mini van drivers are just crazy

if you ever drive in italy they can be campared to here

and if you are passenger and ask them to slow down they look at you as if you just insulted the king

Just got my 5 year renewal and had to endure a silly, childish and patronizing 45minute video that looks as if it was produced for teenagers by teenagers. If the government treats the population as children and speaks to them on that level then they'll never grow up or ever gain any responsibility for their actions and the consequences..

That video is about 35 years too late for me and it had so many silly holes in it from a veteran drivers point of view that it was more insulting then educational and further more why is it even being shown at your 5 year renewal when I've already had a license and riving in Thailand for more then 6 years? Ridiculous!!

When I did my advanced police training in Essex, I was told by the instructor, “to look at every other vehicle on the road, as if they are going to do their best, to kill you’’ something I still to this day remember when I drive.

Driving defensively helps a lot here, indeed.

I always get surprised when I see middle aged on FB that continuously get into accidents here...

I know what you say - but the extreme cases have been seen here. Formations I didn't think was possible. Including a cop driving his 3 kids and stuff to school in rush-hour traffic, with a cap on the head and no helmet in sight...

Seen it all before ...................................... no insurance, illegally operated bus, speeding, untrained driver, mind boggling manouvre that results in .......................... another one.

It gets rather tedious reporting on these incidents as like the buses themselves there's always another along soon.

Oh, I forgot to add ................ something must be done ................ it must never happen again .............. save tha rain forest ......................... make mine a heinekin ..............

Next.

Thai friend of mine got married on xmas day. The bride's father was killed that afternoon. A truck pulled out in front of his pick up. He had no time to react and the pickup was sent into oblivion. The pictures I saw - you couldn't even recognise it as a car. The driver of the truck had a bottle of LauKau in the cabin - they put it down that he didn't see the pick up (or look). The driver of the truck is back driving again - has to pay the family of the dead man 500000 baht and then something to the police. Can't see how he can afford 500000, but he is out and about and back behind the wheel.

I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It probably happens much more often than we realise. Only a small fraction of traffic accidents in Thailand end up in the news.

This is true,there were 4 people killed last weekend here where i live on the118 from chaing mai to doi saket,theres accidents every day down here on the u turns on the highway,as they build more moo banns,along here,that are maybe half a kilo from the u turns,the locals just drive down the highway against the traffic to the u turn,and they get all angry when you hit the horn as they are driving towards you on the wrong side of the road flashing there lights at you,all i can say is brain dead idiots.
  • Like 1

Correct, gross exaggeration is unnecessary, the reality of 7 (or more) on on single motorbike is enough.

As is the reality of passengers sitting on the roof of a songteow.

Where can you see it? In Thailand.