English Language (Computer) Course For Thai Native?

Suhari

Hope this is the right place for this question.....

My wife is here in the UK, 1 year into her 27 month settlement visa.

She speaks great English, but the reading and writing needs work. To complement the lessons she is having I wanted to find a computer based English language course, aimed at Thais.

Any advice?

Clearly everywhere I look here gives me Thai courses for English people - which is the opposite of what I need!

http://a4esl.org/ is a website aimed at students who learn English as a second language (ESL). It's designed to help learners expand English vocabulary. On the right hand column of its home page, you'll find bilingual quizzes, including Thai-English. The last section of the quizzes is phrasal verbs, which, I believe, should be challenging enough for any Thai students.

http://englishgrammar.oporjang.com/ focuses on nouns and parts of speech. A good website in Thai for beginners of the English language.

is one of many YouTube links with explanations in Thai about tenses. As you know, conjugating verb tenses is not easy for Thai students. The poster is anurakkhasuk.

You can have her read and translate a short magazine or newspaper article with simple vocabulary that interests her. As far as writing is concerned, she can first talk about herself and her day (and you) in writing before moving on slowly to write about the neighborhood, the town, the country, local politics, national politics, world politics, etc.

Another thing that I learned in written English is the art of writing notes to express one's appreciation, sympathy or condolences; to congratulate someone on his or her success; to cheer someone on during a competition; to encourage dreams; and so on. Call me old-fashioned, if you wish. There must be books on etiquettes with sample notes and letters that you can stock up your bookshelf. Or even on-line. All your wife has to do is to copy from the template and tailor the text to fit the situation. With you as an editor, her writing will improve in no time.

Local governments in the U.S. offer low-cost ESL classes at community colleges. I won't be surprised that a similar social service program exists in the U.K. catering to newcomers from non-English speaking countries.

Best of luck to you both.

• Like 1