Good Dermatologist For Alopecia

kawaiimomo

Hi there,

Several years ago (probably 5-6) I suffered from a severe and very fast hair loss in all my scalp, including some patches in my beard. The doctor back in my country say it was alopecia areata and that my immune system was attacking my folycles making my hair to fall. I had some corticosteroids injections on my scalp to stop it, and after some months the hair started to grow again.

Now I have some white spots on my neck and also a bald patch in my head again. Both have been there for some 4 months, I don't have any new white spot or patch but the old one is getting bigger (but not as fast as with alopecia areata). On the past 1-2 months I've noticed my hair falling all around my head and most of those hairs are very thin and broken. So now I have that spot but also several areas with few hair. My scalp started itching 2 days ago.

From my research on internet I believe I have tinea aka ringworm, a fungus infection. Today i went to Rajdhevee Clinic to see a dermatologist but I was not pleased with the diagnostic. He take some samples from my white spots on the neck with a standard adhesive tape (the same everyone has in the office or at home), the he checked for fungus. He told me he found no fungus, so he give me 2 creams to apply on the white spots (one is corticosteroids, the other I have no idea). About the hair, he told me that this is due to aging but I am just 32 and by looking at my fallen hairs I can tell they are not healthy ones. Also my bald patch is in one side of my head, the last hairs you lose when is because of aging. BTW he just take a look at my scalp, he didn't pull any hair or look with a magnified lens or microscopy.

So tomorrow I am going to Bumrungrad. I read here in TV that Dr Chitapon and Dr Niyom Tantikun were recommended for dermatology. I just made an appointment with the hospital but didn't ask for any specific doctor. So my questions are: Should I ask specifically for one of those doctors? Do you think going to Bumrungrad is ok or should I go to any other place? I don't care about the price but I want the doctor to really check my hair, not just to take a quick look at my head.

Thanks!

PS: I am asking is Bumrungrad is a good idea because one of my Thai friends told me that they are just good marketing and service (like translators, hotel alike, etc)

• 11 years later...
16 minutes ago, LiamSiam said:

Hi, I know your post is veryyyyyy old now but have you found what you were looking for ? I'm also looking for a dermatologist to check my hair. 
Thanks 

Dermatology Institute victory monument, went 2 weeks ago. 2 tests on scalp, one had to be redone, four medicines 875 baht. Go in the mornings. Registration is a bit complicated, best go with a Thai. Very modern and all they do is skin and hair.

Edited by proton

• 2 weeks later...